Q&A - New Rune System

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DComics

07-03-2010

How about a book or website on the heroes that lists what runes are good for them. I know there can be endless combos but if i bought speed but its not good for certain hero then its a waste. Example I play Nunu, Nasu, Teemo moslty but have other choices. Is speed good for Morgana anivia? is speed rune good on nunu? is magic pen good on nassu? It would be helpful to know what are good or not good on heroes.

Is loading all runes with same rune good? or is it best to have 3 types of runes filled in? how many runes do you need to see a difference in play? can you make the math easier to understand for runes that increase per level and when they equal the static runes level around level 5?

E.G. Nunu has a basic physical attack and has a magic ice ball and ult. Magic Pen , ability power, attack dam, health are good rune choices for Nunu. Teemo benifits from speed and ability runes if he solo's mid regernation runes are good.

The forum is scattered with bits of info and to difficult to find.

Thanks.

Surangama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2010

I have a question. How effective are these runes really? I've just reached level 20 and started looking into these runes. I looked at ability power but 9 x 0.90 (for Glyph) = 8.1? That's not even close to a $435 Amplifying Tome (+20 AP). What bother me the most is that most people get +32.4 hp x 3 Quint which is only 97.2 HP and this is only useful for beginning farming but it cost as much as the +4.5 AP quint which has more benefit throughout the whole game. May I ask what's your opinions?

Koirakonkari

07-26-2010

I seriuosly would like to see more Rune pages in game. Got one page for casters, one for fighters, but none for tanks since only 2 pages are available. Its a shame since i often dont know before champion selection what champion am i going to be, so im not able to make new rune build before game with cost of old one. Just make 3rd or 4th page too so i can start using my ip to something useful for once Sorry for bad english, Im from Finland =P

Mada95

07-28-2010

can someone help me how to make multiple rune pages like phreak in videos?

Guardian Angel

07-29-2010

Corrected for clarity:

Quote:
Q: What are runes?
A: Runes are an out-of-game way, similar to the mastery system, to add additional customization to your summoner and champion. There are red, blue, green, and black runes. Red runes are generally damage; yellow runes are generally defense; blue runes are generally caster stats.
There are no Green and Black, there is only Red, Blue, Yellow, and Purple.

Quote:
The large ones are called Quintessences, which are worth much more than other runes. There are a wide variety of stats available in the Quintessence slot, including certain types of runes, such as run speed, which are *only* available in Quintessence form.

There are three tiers of runes as well.

Q: How do you earn runes?
A: You can purchase runes from the store in-game. From levels 1-10, you can only use Tier 1 runes. From levels 11-20, you can only use Tier 1 and Tier 12 runes. From levels 21-30, you can use any tier runes.
Think you mean Tier 2 there.

Quote:
Q: How do you upgrade runes from first tier to second tier?
A: 5 random rank 1 runes = 1 random rank 2 rune. 5 Random rank 2 runes = 1 random rank 3 rune. Additionally, 2 runes of the same tier can be combined for a random rune of the same tier (2 tier 3 runes = 1 tier 3 rune)

Q: How many runes can you have equipped?
A: There are 9 red, 9 yellow, and 9 blue slots when you reach summoner level 30. In addition, there are 3 Quintessence slots.

Q: If red is offensive, yellow is defensive, and blue is caster stats, what happens to my 9 wasted slots if I don't want one of them?
A: You can find runes of weaker stats (for example, a 5hp blue rune instead of the 15hp yellow rune) if you are only interested in stacking certain stats. While they are weaker, it does give additional customization.

Q: Will I be able to switch rune sets quickly or do I need to change runes manually before every game?
A: You will be able to save 2 "sets" of runes that can be switched to quickly before a game.

Q: Is the combiner supposed to be random? For example, can I not merge 5 tier 2 runes that are +dmg to get a tier 3 rune that is +dmg?
A: Yes, it is supposed to be random. The idea is that you can cannibalize surplus runes into better ones.

Q: Can I have the same runes on pages 1 and 2?
A: Yes! If you wish, you can have the same runes on both pages. This means that you don't need to buy 6 HP quintessences if you want HP Quintessences on both pages, for example.

Q: What are the differences between Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary runes?
A: Each rune is designed to go in a specific colored slot. For example, +HP is supposed to go in to the yellow slot. However, if you wish, you can put this rune in other slots, for a weaker effect. Secondary runes are slightly weaker in the slots than Primary runes. Tertiary are much weaker.

Flapjacker

08-03-2010

so can anyone tell me why i can't use all of the runes i have in my rune bank in the combiner?

ThePr0digy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
I have a question. How effective are these runes really? I've just reached level 20 and started looking into these runes. I looked at ability power but 9 x 0.90 (for Glyph) = 8.1? That's not even close to a $435 Amplifying Tome (+20 AP). What bother me the most is that most people get +32.4 hp x 3 Quint which is only 97.2 HP and this is only useful for beginning farming but it cost as much as the +4.5 AP quint which has more benefit throughout the whole game. May I ask what's your opinions?
runes help slightly but in my opinion it only helps block a part of an attack or get that enemy champ who would've gotten away with 15 or 28 hp. to me its more about looking cool cause they dont really do all that much.

Axoren

08-06-2010

There are errors in the original post.

Levels 1-10 can only buy runes from Tier 1.
Levels 11-20 can only buy runes from Tier 1 and Tier 2.
Levels 21-30 can buy runes from any Tier.

Players of any level can use any rune from any Tier so long as they own it.
Players can acquire runes from Tiers they cannot purchase from by using the Rune Combiner.

talto

08-06-2010

Thanks Riot, that helps.

I think it would also be helpful if in the store there was some way you could view what the total effect of 9, 18, or 27 similar runes combined together would be. I think it is common for most people to completely fill an entire offensive/defensive/utility section of their rune page with the same rune, which means they all have to multiply whatever is in the store by 9 every time they are looking at something. It would also help people plan ahead on what they are going to spend their IP points on.

Vielimir

08-28-2010

One doubt...
If i put all my runes Attack speed...
AS of runes cap at 21%?