Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE}Lichbane: Who and how?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OrthodoxChaote

05-07-2010

I have seen a seriously lack of love for the lichbane. I don't see it suggested on many builds, and the builds I do see it suggested on are very frequently ******ed. So, that being said, let's talk lichbane.

What is Lichbane?

Lichbane is an AP based item that progresses from Sheen. It gives AP, MR, and has a passive that after using an ability, your next right click attack will do 100% of your AP as bonus damage.

So what does that mean?

That means that Lichbane is a niche item for hybrid combat-casters, in essence. People who have multiple abilities that are both useful and have good AP scaling, but who also rely on their right click physical attack.

Who are these magical champions?

Kassadin, Kayle, Ezreal, Taric, Eve, Twisted Fate, Blitzcrank, Karthus

Hereos who're on the fence.

Morgana and Kennen primarily because I haven't really played them and am not sure.

Why those guys?

Well, as I said before, combat casters benefit most from this build. This isn't the only possible build for many of these heroes (TF, Blitzcrank, Taric and Karthus in particular), but, if played for AP, then Lichbane is a powerful tool.

When do I buy Lichbane? (Thanks to Churchy for reminding me to add this)

Late-mid game, generally. You need AP for it to be useful, so, it's generally for the best to grab Sheen as quickly as you can and use that until you've snagged a couple AP items. Otherwise it's not gonna do much more, damage wise, than Sheen is. So wait until you've got a decent amount of AP (150+ generally) before buying it.

How do I use Lichbane effectively?

Let's take the examples closest to my heart and I will discuss how to use Lichbane based on them.

Kassadin: This is, for me, the number one lichbane hero. Absolutely necessary on Kassadin. Since he's a close range combat-caster with powerful pursue/slow abilities, Lichbane is a natural fit. You Riftwalk in and strike them, dealing Riftwalk damage and then the Lichbane damage, slow them, hit them again, silence, hit them again. Assuming 200 AP, you've now dealt 600 bonus damage due to Lichbane alone in only a few seconds.

Kayle: Again, her abilities all require AP, asides her ult, so stacking AP makes sense on her. People argue that her only use is her ult but I disagree. She's actually a powerful combat character when build with Lichbane and used intelligently. Particularly flanking. But I digress. Casting Righteous Fury making her ranged procs Lichbane (and also takes bonus damage from AP), so you Righteous fury, attack, nuke, attack, cast heal/speed up and attack again. By the end of that combo your target is usually if not dead fairly close to being dead, in under a few seconds. Your ult also procs Lichbane, which makes Kayle a pretty wicked tower diver/pursuer.

Any other examples would come to basically the same thing: Alternate abilities and physical attacks and do massive damage. I could go into detail with other champions but I think you understand the jist.

Other points of strategy:

Sheen: Sheen is a fantastic early game item, and on a lot of these heroes should be the first item you get. It allows you to do rather a lot of damage in ganks early (Gold card out of Destiny deals Sheen damage, as well as regular attack damage and gold card bonus damage. And stacked Deck damage if you have that. Serious power in one shot at level 6)

Mystic Shot: Ezreal's most basic skillshot procs Lichbane on hit, and has a very low cooldown, making it a fantastic way to deliver your AP in damage from a safe distance with Lichbane.

Anyway, hope this gave you a better insight into one of the most useful niche items in the game. Remember: Buy Lichbane on Kassadin.

iWaffleStomp

05-07-2010

the only 2 characters i have ever gotten lich on are evelynn and Ezreal with the high ap i stack on those characters i would spam skills as i attacked towers just to proc lich and do an extra 500 dmg to a turret every few seconds. imo lich is a great item.

anbLn

05-07-2010

I think Lich Bane is pretty good on Jax. But that might just be me ._.

Churchy

Friend of Urf

05-07-2010

Let's take another look at Lichbane: It gives 80 AP and costs around 1800g to upgrade from sheen.

If you rush Lichbane as your first item, you will get 80AP added to your attacks.
If you get a different AP item first instead, you will get 90% of your AD added from Sheen. If you have 88 damage or more, you will actually hit for the same bonus damage with sheen that you would with lichbane.

Lichbane is a great item.

Do not get it first.
If you don't have AP, it isn't better than sheen.

OrthodoxChaote

05-07-2010

Quote:
Churchy:
Let's take another look at Lichbane: It gives 80 AP and costs around 1800g to upgrade from sheen.

If you rush Lichbane as your first item, you will get 80AP added to your attacks.
If you get a different AP item first instead, you will get 90% of your AD added from Sheen. If you have 88 damage or more, you will actually hit for the same bonus damage with sheen that you would with lichbane.

Lichbane is a great item.

Do not get it first.
If you don't have AP, it isn't better than sheen.

This is a very good point that I should probably have thought to throw in. It's something you get mid game after you've stacked up some AP. Rush sheen, then farm up an AP item or two and then buy Lichbane. I'll edit it into the OP, because you're right.

Carados

05-07-2010

It's good on everyone that can roll spells.

The problem is when you want to buy it is later then most games last.

xbombr

05-07-2010

My brother gets Lich on Ryze when there are a bunch of enemies that can survive a cycle of his nukes. Otherwise the team has squishies and it's obviously not worth as much to Ryze since he already does lolwtf damage.

Also: Sheen is only like 80% proc isn't it? On a character like Evelynn, only having sheen means that you die 20% of the time you try to kill someone. Rushing Lich after Sheen is character/situation dependent, imo.

OrthodoxChaote

05-07-2010

No. It's 100% chance for 80% attack damage.

got321321

05-09-2010

lichbane is my 6th slot item for veigar, veigar has the most ap of every hero so it sound right to get it with veigar !

Kami

Recruiter

05-09-2010

Quote:
got321321:
lichbane is my 6th slot item for veigar, veigar has the most ap of every hero so it sound right to get it with veigar !

A major factor why players disapprove of grabbing Lichbane on casters is mainly due to the fact that you have to get in range and auto-attack. You're a glass cannon and most of the time, you shouldn't really be trading blows in front of your foe's face. (Note: This only applies to certain casters)