Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Poppy - Need Some Assistance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dethroy

05-07-2010

Quote:
Carados:
Poppy is a nuker, not a carry. Play her as such.

Nah, she's just goin' for the biggest thread - either killing him or pushing him out of the teamfight giving your team a great advantage. Afterwards she's good at catching/cleaning up and diving.

Kendouy

05-07-2010

Quote:
Dethroy:
Just wrong. 9 in defense for Nimbleness is far greater then Archaic Knowledge. PERIOD.

As Poppy you need to last hit as much as possible to get your Trinity as fast as possible.
I'd rather have more HP than having more mana early to have as much freefarm as possible.
You won't have that much points in q until then and you will lack in speed, so you won't have much opportunities goin' for an early kill (especially lacking summoners like exhaust/ignite) at that stage of the game (unless you play at lower to mid elo) and thus sheen won't be much of use. Guess that's just personal preference.

So you simply don't plan on doing maximum dmg with her?

Borelo

05-07-2010

So far i have been playing some kind of AP/AS Poppy and had success, 3-4 K/D

Poppy is hero to scary ppl, she will do huge burst with her abilities, and they will prob run, that is where movement speed and AS comes to play

i usually get
1- madred's Razors (to get some kills in the beginning)
2- boots
3- sheen
4- triforce or Lich Bane (LB is awesome for ganking)
5- BloodRazor (if i dont have a lot of money or there arent tanks on enemy team i skip)
6- AS or magic-pen (against tanks go magic-pen, agains casters-dps go AS)

AnyOtherEnemy

05-07-2010

Poppy is a melee nuke. Some people do successfully play her as a general melee attack speed/damage/lifesteal/whatever champion but they miss out on the potential of her abilities. Poppy's early game is weak depending on who is in her lane as has been noted in another thread. But that is okay because you should make up the lost gold later from kills and assists, which is what you specialize in. Poppy's sole purpose in life is to kill other champions. She is the blue midget SEAL of the League. She does not farm well, heal, support, etc. besides the occasional charge to put distance between her allies and their aggressors. So your goal is to play smart early and kill and assist as much as possible.

As far as runes and masteries goes, I recommend getting the 15% magic penetration ability in offense for sure. Since you will likely use armor penetration runes, you lack the benefit of magic penetration which, believe it or not, has a big effect on your nuke's damage. Check your stats after a good game and see how much your magic damage dealt is. It may be a pretty significant percentage (10-25%) of your total damage. Since you should be taking the cooldown reduction mastery in offense anyway, it's only 1 more point for the magic pen.

Get sheen first, as has been stated. Also, note that sheen has 1 free proc, i.e., you can charge someone, AUTOATTACK ONCE, then Q, and nuke them for 2 sheen procs. I recommend this only if you managed to stun them first, otherwise you may not get off your nuke.

Have fun.

Dethroy

05-08-2010

Quote:
Kendouy:
So you simply don't plan on doing maximum dmg with her?

No, I'm simply makin' sure I will at least do dmg at all. Dmg ain't the problem Poppy got.

Kendouy

05-08-2010

Quote:
Dethroy:
No, I'm simply makin' sure I will at least do dmg at all. Dmg ain't the problem Poppy got.

And you will, since your friggin ULTIMATE protects you for 6 friggin seconds! And by the time thats done, you will have so much speed that not even Yi on his friggin ult will catch you. I've outrun people that exhaust me for crying out loud.

Dethroy

05-08-2010

Just have a look @ bigmclargehuge's guide. Or just try it yourself. I'm rather fast enough catching up to people faster to make sure to get as many qs in as possible instead of hitting with q for marginal more dmg but not being able to close the gap.

EmbraceThePain

05-08-2010

I build AD Poppy. I don't really have any runes. Some tier one magic damage and crit chance and stuff. Not enough to mention, really.

However, I have had reasonable success with AD Poppy building her similar to this:

Doran's Shield/Mana Pot or Regrowth Pendant

Berserker's Greaves

Madred's Razor/Tiamat(To help with farming) I believe Tiamat procs off of Madred's Razor

From here I get Bloodthirster or Executioner's Calling

And of course Phage(build Frozen Mallet if possible) is worked in there somewhere.

Carados

05-08-2010

Quote:
Dethroy:
Nah, she's just goin' for the biggest thread - either killing him or pushing him out of the teamfight giving your team a great advantage. Afterwards she's good at catching/cleaning up and diving.

You mean taking out the biggest threat as fast as possible?

A nuker's job?

VxkyPcgcbwL9iNRT

Emissary of the League

05-08-2010

I just went AP Poppy and did a Q of 1,360 damage on Janna with my ult up.

Combine it with a 3 sec cooldown and a stun which can do up to 600-700 damage if you hit a wall = imba.

<3

MPen is win.