Poppy - Need Some Assistance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nilsolav

05-07-2010

Hey guys,

I have recently began playing as poppy, and I can't help but feel like something is missing. I have read the guides, but have yet to find a solid build which enables me to do well throughout the whole game. As of right now, I seem to be weak early game, and really only do well at all after level 10 or so.

I am currently using all crit chance + crit damage runes, mainly because they worked the best with my previous champ before I switched. Is there a better run set to get for poppy? or is a crit page viable at all?

As far as items go, I am currently going with a dagger (15% AS), leading into Zeal. Once zeal is complete, I begin Malady, which when obtained, is the point when I can usually hold my own. The reason I get Zeal first, is because it also contributes to Trinity Force, which is my third (technically second) item. Once Trinity Force is complete, which rarely happens, I go for Bloodthirster.

Finally, my current mastery is 23/6/0 (I'm only lvl 29).

tl;dr

1. What are the best runes for poppy?

2. Is there a different build which would work better for me?

3. Mastery setup?

Redenbacher

05-07-2010

Every time Poppy is on the opposing team, my team loses. No idea why, that's just how it happens.

They are always VERY aggressive throughout the whole game... it's REALLY frustrating to have this pony-tailed midget chasing you around, gnawing at your ankles. She's a pain to kill, and dishes out a beating and 1/2. I think she was Garen before Garen, and no one picked up on it.

That said, I think a more defensive mastery setup will be more beneficial. HP Quintessences, Armor Penetration, Cooldown Reduction, and Dodge or Armor runes, would also work well.

I've never played her personally, but from her abilities and play style, that's my observation.

Duel

05-07-2010

I really enjoy Poppy and build her as a durable ganker. As a ganker, what you want to do is to do heavy burst damage to try and ease up lanes for your teammates. Thus, I always build Sheen first and I start with a Doran's ring + HP Pot as her early game leaves much to be desired.

I center my Poppy purely around Devastating Blow and thus, I prefer Magic Pen instead of armor pen.

DoomPirate

05-07-2010

Malady is a terrible item for poppy.

You should build sheen first.
Then boots
Then Phage
Then Zeal
Then Triforce

This is your main build.
Crit chance runes isnt too bad on poppy. I've seen it work.

xDiamantx

05-07-2010

Poppy is a really good champion, if you can't tell just search poppy op in the forums.

Dethroy

05-07-2010

Masteries
0/9/21

Runes
Reds: Armor Pen
Yellows: Dodge
Blues: CDR per lvl
Quints: Movespeed

Summoners
Cleanse & Teleport

Items
Doran's Shield & HP Pot
Ninja Tabi
Leviathan
Sheen
Finish Trinity
Phantom Dancer
Guardian Angel to preserve stacks or skip it if you feel comfortably without it
either Stark's or Bloodthirster

With the addition of Yomuu's it might be an item to consider aswell.

But consistent movespeed plus Trinity together with Poppy's q really are Poppy's best bet.

It's quite easy to gain stacks with Levi and it ain't too hard to not die as Poppy (passive, movespeed, cleanse, ult do help). Levi's passive (if fully stacked) goes pretty well with her passive aswell.

gnmish

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsolav View Post
I have recently began playing as poppy, and I can't help but feel like something is missing. I have read the guides, but have yet to find a solid build which enables me to do well throughout the whole game. As of right now, I seem to be weak early game, and really only do well at all after level 10 or so.
Poppy's poor early game is what keeps her from becoming overused like Jax or Garen, ranking her and getting the gear is tough especially if you just want an easy-mode stomper. Just persevere and dont expect to be g-g-g-godlike at level 3.

Quote:
I am currently using all crit chance + crit damage runes, mainly because they worked the best with my previous champ before I switched. Is there a better run set to get for poppy? or is a crit page viable at all?
Poppy's autoattack is one of the worst of any melee hero, think of her as a melee caster, rather than melee attacker. Crits, lifesteal and to a lesser degree attack speed are far less effective than AP, AD, and Magic Pen. Defensive runes like Dodge and MR aren't too bad either.

Quote:
As far as items go, I am currently going with a dagger (15% AS), leading into Zeal. Once zeal is complete, I begin Malady, which when obtained, is the point when I can usually hold my own. The reason I get Zeal first, is because it also contributes to Trinity Force, which is my third (technically second) item. Once Trinity Force is complete, which rarely happens, I go for Bloodthirster.
Again, this build is for a regular melee hero with a good autoattack. To modify this build for Poppy, I would start with a Doran's Ring and a Pot, then start with Sheen (Trinity-light for Poppy). Then boots, Phage, Zeal, and Trinity in that order, after that its all gravy.

Quote:
1. What are the best runes for poppy?
Something that gives good early damage, some people like AD, some AP, it doesn't matter so long as you can get a bit of minion killing power to get your gear, other than that I favor Dodge and Magic Resistance.

Kendouy

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethroy View Post
Masteries
0/9/21

Runes
Reds: Armor Pen
Yellows: Dodge
Blues: CDR per lvl
Quints: Movespeed

Summoners
Cleanse & Teleport

Items
Doran's Shield & HP Pot
Ninja Tabi
Leviathan
Sheen
Finish Trinity
Phantom Dancer
Guardian Angel to preserve stacks or skip it if you feel comfortably without it
either Stark's or Bloodthirster

With the addition of Yomuu's it might be an item to consider aswell.

But consistent movespeed plus Trinity together with Poppy's q really are Poppy's best bet.

It's quite easy to gain stacks with Levi and it ain't too hard to not die as Poppy (passive, movespeed, cleanse, ult do help). Levi's passive (if fully stacked) goes pretty well with her passive aswell.
I would like to disagree on this. First of all, you should go 9/0/21, simply because the majority of the dmg is magical, thus making the 15% mpen in masteries essential for your damage, and she thrives on cooldown reduction. The 21 in Utility is for the increase in movementspeed, manareg wich she sorely needs, and cooldown reduction.

Second, go with Sheen before Leviathan, simply cause of her early mana problems. They will just escape you far too often for you to fill up the Leviathan unless you get some burst in there.

Dethroy

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendouy View Post
I would like to disagree on this. First of all, you should go 9/0/21, simply because the majority of the dmg is magical, thus making the 15% mpen in masteries essential for your damage, and she thrives on cooldown reduction. The 21 in Utility is for the increase in movementspeed, manareg wich she sorely needs, and cooldown reduction.

Second, go with Sheen before Leviathan, simply cause of her early mana problems. They will just escape you far too often for you to fill up the Leviathan unless you get some burst in there.
Just wrong. 9 in defense for Nimbleness is far greater then Archaic Knowledge. PERIOD.

As Poppy you need to last hit as much as possible to get your Trinity as fast as possible.
I'd rather have more HP than having more mana early to have as much freefarm as possible.
You won't have that much points in q until then and you will lack in speed, so you won't have much opportunities goin' for an early kill (especially lacking summoners like exhaust/ignite) at that stage of the game (unless you play at lower to mid elo) and thus sheen won't be much of use. Guess that's just personal preference.

Carados

05-07-2010

Poppy is a nuker, not a carry. Play her as such.