[Guide] The many adventures of Mundo the Pooh

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yellow Jester

05-07-2010

Disclaimer: Steroids are bad, and you should feel bad if you use them, even though they will make you feel AWESOME and SEXY and PURPLE.

Now, getting right into the ****, I'm going to do a quick little Mundo guide for my spin on Mundo. I have lots of success with this, and since I've switched to this build I have had more kills, more wins, and more fun with my favorite purple guy. I haven't played that many rounds with it yet, but considering that I went from mediocre barely-positive scores to going legendary nearly every game I've played with Mundo, I think that it speaks for itself.

This guide was somewhat inspired by the guide Mundo: Carrying More Than A Cleaver. While it's not a ripoff, that guide is the one that convinced me that Mundo can stop pussying around and start going where he pleases. I've always loved Mundo, but that guide made me love him even more, and for that, I salute you.

Prologue: Wherein Mundo encounters multiple suspected heffalumps

Look at your team. Now forget about them. You are MUNDO. Oh, there's a few things to look for: healers, stunners, and summoner spells. Someone with exhaust and ignite will help you if you want first blood. Someone with a stun = first blood. Someone with heal = you stick to them like flies on sh*t. You'll be burning through your HP until level 6, and a healer just ups your octane rating on your HP truck.

YOUR summoner spells, on the other hand, are ALWAYS AND WITHOUT FAIL exhaust and ghost. Flash is for small people, who don't know when to quit. Ignite doesn't deal enough damage, and your cleaver is in all ways superior. Exhaust is there because when you pop ghost, exhaust, and your ult, the enemy will actually start running towards you in an attempt to end their own life quickly and painlessly. You will of course laugh and hurt them to death at your own pace.

I will say one thing about Clairvoyance: Every team should have it, and if nobody else wants to take it, you have the least to lose. I'd suggest giving up exhaust for clairvoyance, but NEVER give up the ghost, because it will save your ass countless times.

Now look at the enemy team. They look so smug, don't they? So innocent. So unaware. So delicious. But some of them are deadly. Watch out for the following:

Ryze: Can't understate the fact that Ryze will kill you. Let me repeat that. HE WILL KILL YOU. You NEED to stun him before you engage. you can harass him out of the lane with cleavers, but DON'T get close. At level 1, you can probably get him, but once he gets his 3 spells he can kill you. Beware. Wait until your cleaver is level 4 (level 7) to try after him.

Twitch: If you see him going invisible, stop whatever you're doing, and cleaver where you think where he is. don't be out of safety when twitch is about.

Fiddlesticks: his drain early game is OP. He can probably survive your assaults unless you're very careful about how and when you initiate a fight. If he starts draining you, run and cleaver. If he starts draining a minion, cleaver.

Now look at this item list. This is the list of items that I buy frequently because they are awesome.

Spirit Visage: A great item at any stage, often my first but sometimes forgotten. MR, CDR, and increased Healing/Regeneration, all for a low, low, low, low, low price.

Mercury Treads: REALLY good. If you see more than 1 stun, get these, they're hand-down the best boots.

Stark's Fervor: I get this before Last Whisper, because it's got everything I want. Attackspeed increase, Lifesteal, Armor reduction, and a team aura. Makes you a teamfight hero. Even if you have a teammate who has this, i'd still consider it after Last Whisper, because the aura stacks for you if you have the item. However, you can usually afford to get this before anyone else, short of maybe Sivir, will be able to.

Last Whisper: Makes you eat towers and tanks. It's all-around amazing.

Leviathan: I haven't used this much, but I'm sure the build would benefit.

These items that follow are late-game, and I usually don't even get this far before winning:

Frozen Mallet: Great for slow and HP, makes you almost unkillable.

Phantom Dancer: Great for everything it gives. The movespeed is amazing.

Skill order:
Q
W
Q
E
Q
R
Q
E
Q
W
W
E
W
E
W
E
R
R

There can be no debate about this. Q is maxed first, then level E and W evenly, ignoring R except for 1 point at level 6. The speed is negligible compared to the benefits you receive in improved CC reduction and damage. Also you will want a phantom dancer so that you'll be super fast anyway.

Chapter 1: Wherein Mundo decides where he wants to go

The question of who goes to which lane is a tricky one, one that requires a lot of thought, careful consideration of the enemy team and all their potential, and of your own team, and of yourself.

The easy answer is that you go where you please. You can survive almost indefinite punishment, and you can deal out the hurt as well. If you want to go solo mid, say "MUNDO SOLO MID." If you want first blood, say "MUNDO GET FIRST BLOOD." You're an unstoppable truck of destruction, and your team should either hop on or get outta the way. There is sometimes a better choice for solo mid, but don't sweat, because a lanemate won't hinder you at all unless they're super terrible.

Chapter 2: Wherein Mundo goes to the store.

Your starting items are ALWAYS AND WITHOUT FAIL 1 rejuvination bead (the 250 gp one) and 6 potions. There is NO leniency in this regard, and if you don't start like this than you probably can't instill proper fear into your enemies' hearts. The reasoning behind this: You get the regeneration of a doran's shield, with 6 bursts of healing. Even if you constantly use them, that's 2 full minutes of regeneration, for a total of 1200 extra HP. That's like having 1800 HP. Just don't waste it.

At this stage of the game, this is how you play: You toss cleavers into the enemy every chance you get. You want to be close to them because, and this is important: You do more damage than them. If they attack you, especially if they're ranged, you go attack them and make them back off. If you're low on HP, don't go in, pop a pot, and hang back. You have a bigger HP cushion than they do, so whittle them down and heal up until you can get a kill.

By the time you reach level 6 you will have zero potions exactly. You will not wish that you had more potions along the way, because at that point you're vulnerable and you've overextended yourself.. You will not have more than zero potions, because you have in that case not been harassing hard enough, haven't taken enough enemy damage and laughed, and haven't made enough enemies turn tail and run. At level 6 you will pop your ult and you WILL get a kill. This is a somewhat difficult thing to get a feel for, but just keep trying. You'll soon learn how much HP you need to survive an enemy.

Chapter 3: Wherein Pooh eats Piglets

On your first trip back you will have enough money for a spirit visage and boots OR YOU WILL DIE. Not basic boots, either. I'm talking Ninja tabi AT LEAST. Seriously. This sounds hard, but it's not. Your job is to stay in the lane and not die for a long enough time to farm up 2600 gold. Oh, also, you might be about level 10.

But at that point, there's no reason to let this guide stop you from buying what you please. There are some items that will always be included on my mundo, and they are Stark's Fervor and Last Whisper. if you can afford these at any point in time, they will never be a bad choice, unless you're dying a lot, in which case you need to buy a survivability item, like a Guardian Angel, a Banshee's Veil, or a different champion.

At this point, you have your ult, so you can feel free to play as recklesesly as you please, without dying, of course. A really really neat trick to do is to let your enemy run to their tower, then go to the forest beneath or to the side of that tower, and chuck a cleaver into them. I've gotten kills like this, and if you strike flesh and they aren't dead, you pop your ult and dive that tower, netting a kill. beware though, it might be an approaching minion wave. The alternate version of this is to bring your minions to the tower, then harass them at max cleaver range until they're killable, then walk past the tower and eat them.

Chapter 4: Wherein the towers say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Once you have your last whisper and Stark's Fervor, you should go to the lane that has the most happening in it, whether that's a team skirmish, a lot of enemy creeps, a lot of your creeps, or a lone farmer. You then kill all the enemies and eat the tower. Lather, rinse, repeat. Don't stay in a single lane too often, and get lizard if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Get your team to stick with you and form a gank squad. Gank a lot of people, and take their towers. Never stop killing things. At this stage of the game, I'm honestly just so in the groove that it's impossible to stop. Steamroll everything. The key to playing mundo is knowing when you're overextending. At this point your level advantage starts to fade, so you have to be careful about who you try to kill. Make people chase you. Make sure that if they don't chase you, you're continually hitting them with cleavers. And if they let you do this, go eat them for being so stupid. Don't just charge in and hit E a lot. Lead your team, ping the weak, support the towers that are hurt, and NEVER have your ult up and your HP at half.

Also, since you're really tough and fast, you're the perfect bait. If your team is well coordinated you may be able to bait people into trying to kill you. If you're doing it right, they'll jump on every perceived opportunity to do so, because you are such a huge threat.

Chapter 5: In which Mundo says GG

Hope it was helpful, it's my first guide. Anything you want to add, go ahead.

Finneus

05-07-2010

Masteries? Runes?

Yellow Jester

05-07-2010

^I roll with different masteries. 9/21/0, 9/0/21, 21/0/9, they all work. As for runes, Red armor pen, Blue CDR, Yellow Health/level, Flat health quints. Or Armor Pen quints.

EDIT: If you go defensive masteries for the dodge ability, Dodge Seals are also very good.