Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

when to get your boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamyDays

05-07-2010

Quote:
HillClimber:
Only read this comment if your bored, and want to hear something ridiculous.

I was once in a game with a Ryze that just sat on the pad, and I said "Hey Ryze what are you doing up there lol, we could use your help here." He then Replied "You just shut up, I am up here waiting for my boots."

My response "Really, thats kind of crazy."

Ryze:"Heh Watch and learn noob."

Im sure you already guessed he got his Ace beat and we lossed the match lol, so Im guessing that is one way NOT to do it lolz!

No, he is really clever.

He gets 100% of his gold for FREE! No farming required!

How effective!

But maybe, perhaps, you might want to get gold a little bit faster.....
Or, you might just want to play the game instead of watching a 4vs5 from the pad.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
HillClimber:
Only read this comment if your bored, and want to hear something ridiculous.

I was once in a game with a Ryze that just sat on the pad, and I said "Hey Ryze what are you doing up there lol, we could use your help here." He then Replied "You just shut up, I am up here waiting for my boots."

My response "Really, thats kind of crazy."

Ryze:"Heh Watch and learn noob."

Im sure you already guessed he got his Ace beat and we lossed the match lol, so Im guessing that is one way NOT to do it lolz!

brings the morals, better to be underpowered and die helping your team than to **** off.

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

Dreamydays, I do mean first/second "low level" item. Even if you're playing somebody who farms ridiculously well, delaying your boots for 2 core items is going to mess you up.

Temlam, I can't disagree with any part of your post, excepting the ones where you openly attack my rhetoric and skill at LoL. In order to not create a hulking quote pyramid, I won't respond to all of it individually, but suffice to say the parts where you are talking about the game are, in my experience, true. I'll mention that I've only played a single-digit number of games with Garen (0) and in light of this fact I did not dispute anything you said relating "boots" and "Garen."
Also, I should probably clarify; I didn't mean "in any case" quite that literally.
Last post has been edited to address the teleport thing.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
Mr Geppetto:
Dreamydays, I do mean first/second "low level" item. Even if you're playing somebody who farms ridiculously well, delaying your boots for 2 core items is going to mess you up.

Temlam, I can't disagree with any part of your post, excepting the ones where you openly attack my rhetoric and skill at LoL. In order to not create a hulking quote pyramid, I won't respond to all of it individually, but suffice to say the parts where you are talking about the game are, in my experience, true. I'll mention that I've only played a single-digit number of games with Garen (0) and in light of this fact I did not dispute anything you said relating "boots" and "Garen."
Also, I should probably clarify; I didn't mean "in any case" quite that literally.
Last post has been edited to address the teleport thing.

I hope at least, you will reference your first post where you say "there is always something more important no matter who you're playing. "
That was the only thing I diagreed with and gave a specific example, at which point you attacked me for it.
I hope you can re-read and understand from this.

"Okay, you bought boots and rolled a baddie. I don't doubt you've done this several times. Now tell me--was it really the boots that allowed you to kill him over and over, or was it the fact that the other guy was just bad at LoL? & if it was the latter, was your statement potentially misleading? "

this is a statement you used that attacked my skill, I have posted nothing that openly attacked your skill, only your lack of knowledge on the one specific sample I gave, garen, which has you yourself admit proven to be true.

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

Quote:
I hope at least, you will reference your first post where you say "there is always something more important no matter who you're playing. "
A statement which I rescind in my second post...
Quote:
This is true, Temlam. Garen enjoys movespeed because it helps him stay abreast of enemy champions while he's spinning around in an arc of death. However, this only applies to his particular case.

If you take Garen's case and extrapolate to buy boots as the first item for every single character, you will be making an egregious error.
My you-bought-boots-and-rolled-a-baddie post, while indisputably patronizing, made no mention of your skill as far as I can tell. If you feel that it was insulting your skill indirectly or in some manner which I have yet to realize (entirely possible), then please, dwell on it no more. I did not intend such.

Quote:
You however have tried to discount something about a specific example, then go back to being vague.
This is the part which I'd take as being critical of my rhetoric. I've been both coherent as well as precise throughout my posts.
Quote:
You can ridicule it any way you like, it means nothing, as you have no alternative for this specific style,
This is the part which I'd take as being critical of my skill. I'm not going to dispute it now because that would go back on something I've said before, namely conceding the entire point, the single one you persist with post after post. If you try to refer to this again to exemplify my incompetence, I will not respond.

You're still trying to vindicate yourself with a point I conceded first in my second post and again in my last one. I understand if you don't like me. Don't hurt yourself.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
Mr Geppetto:
A statement which I rescind in my second post...
My you-bought-boots-and-rolled-a-baddie post, while indisputably patronizing, made no mention of your skill as far as I can tell. If you feel that it was insulting your skill indirectly or in some manner which I have yet to realize (entirely possible), then please, dwell on it no more. I did not intend such.

This is the part which I'd take as being critical of my rhetoric. I've been both coherent as well as precise throughout my posts.
This is the part which I'd take as being critical of my skill. I'm not going to dispute it now because that would go back on something I've said before, namely conceding the entire point, the single one you persist with post after post. If you try to refer to this again to exemplify my incompetence, I will not respond.

You're still trying to vindicate yourself with a point I conceded first in my second post and again in my last one. I understand if you don't like me. Don't hurt yourself.

I hope you come to understand, I was bringing up relevent information in command of my belief. These things have been disputed by you, in one phrase or another, even when you begin by saying you agree you end with something entirely different.

You have conceeded to a point and then laid down, as if it were fact, there is no alternative.

You have not rescinded in that way, you have merely seemed to as you pressed an issue.

On the other hand, I have done nothing to dispute your all over arguement, of what is not best for MOST champions, yet you have time and again brought it up as if I did. Before now I did not point it out, but no one disputed your beliefs you defended amourously. At least I had some just cause for my arguements.

You were in fact vague to begin with, started to be very direct (though incorrectly so, while telling me I was incorrect) and then went back into being vague and somewhat condescending.

Tahlyn

05-07-2010

Getting Back on track...

as Kat...

regen beads
bf sword
bf sword/(boots+vamp)
boots/vamp
vamp

saving for the first bfsword is necessary, and if i have enough gold for the second big burst of dmg from another bfsword, then that is the route i go.

with the shunpo (flash skill) you have the all the -ms you need early game for harassing, and hopefully you have exhaust for kills.
---------------------------
on the flip side...
hero's like udyr: Boots First. Every time. toss in some pots... but without the boots you're worthless.

SleepThieff

05-07-2010

I would like to note something important when it comes to boots and movement speed and the gold you invest in them.

When you buy "level 1 boots" (boots of speed) you are granted 50 movement speed, for the low price of 350 gold.

When you buy "level 2+ boots" (all upgraded boots) you are granted a significantly less movement speed increase for your gold investment (not including swiftness/mobility, they are completely different).

For example, when going from boots 1 to boots 2, you originally gain 50 speed for 350 gold.
When you upgrade to zerker boots/tabei/sorc boots/merc treads/ you only gain an additional 20 movement speed, and their gold cost is MUCH greater.

Let's use Mercury Treads as an example. MTreads cost 1200 gold total. So, for 350 gold you gain 50 movement. but for that additional 20 movement speed, you are forced to pay an additional 850 gold. Are you really paying that 850 gold for 20 movement speed? Not likely. You are probably paying that 850 gold for the passive the boots grant.

Lastly, i would just like to note that the reason merc treads are so powerful is because its passive is found on no other item in the game. Also this is what makes tabei so attractive. While it is not the ONLY item with dodge (phantom dancer also provides dodge), it is one of the only items with dodge. Zerker boots on the other hand are nothing special, because there are tons of options for increasing your attack speed (this in theory should make zerker boots a very bad investment).

Just an observation. I hope this helps the community make better educated decisions on their items.

hu4rollz

05-07-2010

Move speed is under valued over and over again in this thread.

You can think of the early harassing/last hitting game like a dance. MS dictates the agility of your dancer. It's all about getting in range when you want to be in range and getting out of range when you don't want to be. MS determines how well you can control this, and even a 15-20% MS advantage (which boots provide) can completely change the dynamic of the lane if you know how to take advantage of it. The faster player can control if and when blows are exchanged which is very important.

I'm not saying laning advantages are the biggest reason to get boots, just an often underestimated one. MS helps in virtually everything... farming, ganking, defending, pushing, escaping, chasing, etc. Also the better you get the more you will realize how important positioning is in fights, and MS is key to this.

I rarely get boots first item, but they are usually in my inventory after the first trip back, and if not then, almost always after the second trip. Also, MS quints are some of the best quints.

Xalerwons

05-07-2010

If you don't think you should buy boots 1 on your first trip back..... I don't know what to say

Either you were forced to bp early, meaning you need the boots to minimize harassment or gain an advantage in this department

or you laned evenly, in which case if the enemy bp'ed for boots, you'd have to get boots, or you're at a severe lane control disadvantage

or you dominated your lane so you should have enough gold for boots + your next item because neglecting your boots just to buy a single other ~400 gold item is stupid, absolutely stupid

The only exceptions are when you're absurdly close to a BF sword (in most situations you're ahead of the opponent item-wise if you're in this dilemma) or you have a much higher base MS than the enemy and/or you have higher mobility thanks to summoner skills / champion skills