when to get your boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avargrist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2010

Yeah

DreamyDays

05-07-2010

I usually get boot 1 by my first trip back, or second.

Boot 2 can be delayed a bit, depending on situation... but boot 1 is quite necessary, if only for running back to lane quicker

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamyDays View Post
I usually get boot 1 by my first trip back, or second.

Boot 2 can be delayed a bit, depending on situation... but boot 1 is quite necessary, if only for running back to lane quicker
Teleport exists.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geppetto View Post
Fair enough, but what if you're laning against someone who's as good as or better than you? & even if they aren't, what if you could rush an item that could take your skill advantage and make it even bigger... say, a snowball item?

Okay, you bought boots and rolled a baddie. I don't doubt you've done this several times. Now tell me--was it really the boots that allowed you to kill him over and over, or was it the fact that the other guy was just bad at LoL? & if it was the latter, was your statement potentially misleading?
I have met people that rape the living hell out of me. Even when I don't get boots, they still do. At least for garen being able to run in and out of fights is epic early game. This also goes with me having heal and ghost as summoner abilities though.

On my version of playing garen, a snowball item would suck. I plan to die some fights. If I havent died at least half of the kills I got, the other team was terrible, because a lot of the time (to me at least) death is what leads to to your team wiping the other one.

IF you are getting really pushed hard, boots are sometimes more necessary. IF my turret is in serious trouble, I can use a combination of high speed boots, justice, courage, and sometimes decisive strike to repel a wave of minions just at my tower.
Then sit back and regain the health I require for the next push.

Unfortunately, teams where we generally lose are ones that let me do something like that for over 10 minutes despite my asking for help...

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
Teleport exists.
IF you want teleport, it exists.

IF you want something more useful to your character type, are you **** out of luck?

DreamyDays

05-07-2010

Quote:
Teleport exists.
The thing is, people sometimes want to use 2 spells other than Teleport.
Also, Teleport happens to have some cooldown, longer than most others.

And even if you have some method of skill-teleport that takes you wherever you want to go, having boots will aid you

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

I believe we have already established that boots are a good item for Garen. Your thorough examples of how boots are good for Garen were not needed.

In addition, you can make similar examples for every champion in the game, and they would not be needed, because I am not contesting that boots are a good item. They are sublime. Some sort of boots should find their way into every champion's final build.

That being said, let me explain what I AM contesting.
I am contesting that in most games for most champions, there is no alternative to boots as your first/second item. I am contesting that there are no items that are better than boots offensively (they help you chase things down, wow!) or defensively (they help you run away, wow!). I am contesting that you can't enhance your champion with an item that suits his/her abilities and strengths better than boots.

In DotA, a very similar game that Riot's creators worked on before LoL, getting boots as your first item was a huge offense to the deities of proficient gameplay. This problem has been alleviated somewhat with recommended builds for newbies, but there are still people who prefer boots exclusively no matter which champion they play.

Boots are a bad first item. Boots are a slightly less bad second item. In any case, you can do better.

If you do happen to have a preference for 2 summoner spells besides teleport, then yes, boots are helpful for getting around, specifically Boots of Mobility. Often players forego teleport in TT because it's such a small map. Boots are also nice here because mobility is so important (the towers are farther apart, etc etc. You guys have heard it before). Personally I'm a huge fan of teleport; I believe it gives way more mobility than any sort of boots, and that's probably a big part of why I can hold off on buying them.

DreamyDays

05-07-2010

May I ask exactly what you mean by first/second items?

If you mean the first/second "core" item, then I have to disagree with you.
If you mean the first/second "low level" item, then yeah, you do have a point, although I think it still depends quite a lot.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
I believe we have already established that boots are a good item for Garen. Your thorough examples of how boots are good for Garen were not needed.

In addition, you can make similar examples for every champion in the game, and they would not be needed, because I am not contesting that boots are a good item. They are sublime. Some sort of boots should find their way into every champion's final build.

That being said, let me explain what I AM contesting.
I am contesting that in most games for most champions, there is no alternative to boots as your first/second item. I am contesting that there are no items that are better than boots offensively (they help you chase things down, wow!) or defensively (they help you run away, wow!). I am contesting that you can't enhance your champion with an item that suits his/her abilities and strengths better than boots.

In DotA, a very similar game that Riot's creators worked on before LoL, getting boots as your first item was a huge offense to the deities of proficient gameplay. This problem has been alleviated somewhat with recommended builds for newbies, but there are still people who prefer boots exclusively no matter which champion they play.

Boots are a bad first item. Boots are a slightly less bad second item. In any case, you can do better.
This was specifically about garen, that has all I have said about.
You seem to be anti boots honestly, openly proclaiming it.
With garen, I assure you, you cannot do better.
You can ridicule it any way you like, it means nothing, as you have no alternative for this specific style,
I have never recommended boots as a starting item for EVERY character, just made note not to discount them. You however have tried to discount something about a specific example, then go back to being vague. And there are other champions where boots are the best choice. Base attributes on some champions along wiith their spells/skills is enough to severely dominate other champions. You think another item can do it better, fine. You have made that opinion, I made mine.

HillClimber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2010

Only read this comment if your bored, and want to hear something ridiculous.

I was once in a game with a Ryze that just sat on the pad, and I said "Hey Ryze what are you doing up there lol, we could use your help here." He then Replied "You just shut up, I am up here waiting for my boots."

My response "Really, thats kind of crazy."

Ryze:"Heh Watch and learn noob."

Im sure you already guessed he got his Ace beat and we lossed the match lol, so Im guessing that is one way NOT to do it lolz!