Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

when to get your boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rappahannock

05-06-2010

im sure its probably all personal preference, if so id like to see what the general consensus is then. Ive read some build where people will try to build an item first whether it be warmogs or a phage before they even get boots. i like to get my starting item and almost always get basic boots as my second item around 4-6. is that pretty standard? i just dont understand how people can afford to get boots after level 6

Mr Geppetto

05-06-2010

Depends somewhat on your personal playstyle as well as the champion you're using. Champions with abilities that slow enemies or speed themselves up can hold off on it. Really though, the question you should be asking is, "How can people afford to get boots before level 6/as their second item?" I'm assuming you mean after your Doran's, meki, etc. The movespeed boost is negligible, and while mobility is important, there is always something more important no matter who you're playing. You know that saying "you are what you eat?" Well, a champion is what you build on it.

Generally you will be considered less incompetent if you can hold off on buying boots for a while.

Why would you rush a phage? It doesn't have any stackable effects and offers comparatively little early-game benefit. Did you make that up?

Pandadan

05-06-2010

Quote:
KARMA5:
im sure its probably all personal preference, if so id like to see what the general consensus is then. Ive read some build where people will try to build an item first whether it be warmogs or a phage before they even get boots. i like to get my starting item and almost always get basic boots as my second item around 4-6. is that pretty standard? i just dont understand how people can afford to get boots after level 6

When I'm playing Mundo I usually try to build Warmog's first, then Merc Treads. If for some reason I BP before then (teleport is up and my hp is very low, died like an idiot, whatever) I opportunistically buy whatever I can towards those two, with priority Giant's Belt > Ruby Crystal > Boots of Speed > Null Magic Mantle. I may finish boots first, especially if I'm facing CC in my lane.

SleepThieff

05-06-2010

movement speed is everything in this game. speed is the difference in landing kills and surviving attacks. it gains you experience faster, and that also turns into more gold. in essence, speed is one of the best investments you can make.

i recommend getting boots after your first "other" starting item.

Example 1. - Start with dorans shield. After first trip back, get boots.

Example 2. Get your catalyst the protector, then build boots before finishing your rod of ages.

the idea is to get boots BEFORE you finish any major item (major item meaning it cost 2k+ gold)

etc.etc.

hope this helps.

Temlam

05-06-2010

Quote:
Mr Geppetto:
Depends somewhat on your personal playstyle as well as the champion you're using. Champions with abilities that slow enemies or speed themselves up can hold off on it. Really though, the question you should be asking is, "How can people afford to get boots before level 6/as their second item?" I'm assuming you mean after your Doran's, meki, etc. The movespeed boost is negligible, and while mobility is important, there is always something more important no matter who you're playing. You know that saying "you are what you eat?" Well, a champion is what you build on it.

Generally you will be considered less incompetent if you can hold off on buying boots for a while.

Why would you rush a phage? It doesn't have any stackable effects and offers comparatively little early-game benefit. Did you make that up?

to add, sometimes boots ARE the first item. On a garen I like to buy starting boots, then boots of swiftness, then save 1850 for a bf sword. His damage output is pretty decent and all-over early game killing (with the speed from the boots to catch his enemies who are slower you see) means laning is very easy to be done without extra items. Then again on the same note, I've sat in a lane (and changed lanes to help kill other people or protect from minions) with just starting boots and only find a peaceful break at 5k gold so heh.

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

This is true, Temlam. Garen enjoys movespeed because it helps him stay abreast of enemy champions while he's spinning around in an arc of death. However, this only applies to his particular case.

If you take Garen's case and extrapolate to buy boots as the first item for every single character, you will be making an egregious error. There are so many items that give you a much bigger advantage. Hell, in some cases I would rather have WARDS than boots of speed.

Quote:
Then again on the same note, I've sat in a lane (and changed lanes to help kill other people or protect from minions) with just starting boots and only find a peaceful break at 5k gold so heh.
Really? You have nothing but boots and there is no significant harassment, no fights initiated on you? Did the people you were laning against disconnect or something?

True Bandito

05-07-2010

As Rammus, I get the boots after quick Heart of Gold. I usually buy Doran's Shield before that so you can say boots is my second or third item, after Doran's and HoG.

Temlam

05-07-2010

Quote:
Mr Geppetto:
This is true, Temlam. Garen enjoys movespeed because it helps him stay abreast of enemy champions while he's spinning around in an arc of death. However, this only applies to his particular case.

If you take Garen's case and extrapolate to buy boots as the first item for every single character, you will be making an egregious error. There are so many items that give you a much bigger advantage. Hell, in some cases I would rather have WARDS than boots of speed.

Really? You have nothing but boots and there is no significant harassment, no fights initiated on you? Did the people you were laning against disconnect or something?

I was just giving an example of a different nature to your statement :P

I never said no significant harassment, no fights initiated, they just happen to be levels below me from dying so **** much

RoflTroll

05-07-2010

Since my most recent main is AP Sion, this is usually my order of items.

Meki + 2 Health Pot
Mejai + Boot / Blasting Wand + Boot / Amp Tome + Boot

At this point I'll see if there's any champs I can hunt down, if not I just stay in lane and farm minions to feed my Enrage(level 1, since early on the extra damage from it is arguably equal/better in some case to another level of Gaze, and the extra bit of HP helps later on)

Chalice(or skip if I can constantly get golem buff)

Finish Mejai if I didn't get it earlier, and Sorc Boot if there's any champs with more than 60 MR(just throwing it out there, but if the enemy doesn't have a lot of HP or high MR, then the extra damage you gain from MPen isn't always as high as what you'd get if you get Blasting Wand with the gold instead)

then either Void Staff(if I see 100+ MR champs that I'd like to kill) or Zhonya then the other one.

Though usually people forfeit after I hit 15 stacks or so and finishing eiher Void or Zhon.

So generally, I upgrade my boot whenever I feel like it's necessary(alternatively, if I grab a Haunting Guise for MPen instead, then I will delay my boot until I'm constantly losing potential kills from people outrunning me).

Mr Geppetto

05-07-2010

Fair enough, but what if you're laning against someone who's as good as or better than you? & even if they aren't, what if you could rush an item that could take your skill advantage and make it even bigger... say, a snowball item?

Okay, you bought boots and rolled a baddie. I don't doubt you've done this several times. Now tell me--was it really the boots that allowed you to kill him over and over, or was it the fact that the other guy was just bad at LoL? & if it was the latter, was your statement potentially misleading?