[GUIDE] Pantheon: A Guide to Not Losing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tejb

05-06-2010

I. Introduction
II Abilities
III. Summoner Spells
IV. Masteries
V. Runes
VI. Items/building Pantheon
VII. Winning

I. Introduction
Pantheon - The Artisan of War

Lore:
Far above the clouds on Mount Gargantuan resides a stalwart tribe of people known as the Stanpar, who still revere combat and war as penultimate art forms. They remember the Runewars of Runeterra and know that the League of Legends can only repress the rising tides of violence for so long. Each member of the tribe is bred to be a disciplined and vicious warrior, preferring to battle soldiers of either the Noxian or Demacian armies only when outnumbered at least ten to one. Stanpar warriors are trained not only to be as lethal with their bare hands as the most capable martial artists, but also to fiercely wield the many relic-weapons of the tribe. Such treasures have been handed down from generation to generation, and have harnessed the mystical nature of Runeterra in their very cores. These relic-weapons are among the most dangerous in existence -- and it comes as no surprise that they have found their way to the League of Legends in the hands of Pantheon. This stone-faced warrior is a paragon of his people, his very existence an anthem of exultation to the art of combat. Pantheon found it insulting that the people of Valoran would install an organization to replace war, complete with so-called champions, without including the Stanpar. Gathering the blessings of his tribe and armed with the relics of his ancestors, he has decscended on the League to show the world a true warrior. He cares not who he fights, and cares nothing for the pageantry or prestige of a League champion, but lives only for the austere glory of battle. As long as Pantheon breathes, he thirsts for another foe to vanquish.

''I was hoping they had more reinforcements. '' - Pantheon, standing amidst the pieces of a brutalized Noxian battalion.

Whew. Now that that's out of the way, we can get to the important stuff.

IMPORTANT: BUY THE MYRMIDON SKIN!!! Trust me, I have found that buying skins will increase your gameplay tenfold. I don't know why this works, it just does.

Now, Pantheon is trash. It's a common fact. Everyone knows it. But this guide will show you how to actually win the game as Pantheon.

People underestimate you. Use that to your advantage. People will get greedy and think you're a free kill when all of a sudden you turn around and kill them in 2 seconds flat.

The reason everyone (correctly) thinks Pantheon is a useless champion is because, although he is not terrible, he is not nearly as potent as many other melee champions. A fed Ashe or Corki will destroy a fed Pantheon every time. Or so they think.

No one realizes Pantheon's true potential. I know I sure didn't until I finally figured out a good way to play him, and I haven't lost a game since then (around 30 games with this new build so far).

QUICK TIP: If people start queue-dodging you, choose another strong melee champion (such as Jax or Gangplank), then switch to Pantheon at the last second. This way, people will be less likely to leave the queue, and then you can show them just how good Pantheon can really be.

II. Abilities

This section is just a basic overview of his abilities. I'll show you how to build them later (Section VI).

First off, his passive is a full shield block of the next normal attack. This is proc-ed every 4 attacks or casts and is refreshed by his W.

Q - Spear Shot - Pantheon hurls his spear at his opponent
Just a basic nuke. Except with pretty terrible scaling (AD not AP). But it's a good spell nonetheless.

W - Aegis of Zeonia - Pantheon leaps at an enemy and bashes the enemy with his shield, stunning them. After finishing the attack, Pantheon readies himself to block the next attack.
Handy little spell to go with your heartseeker. Also procs your passive which makes it awesome to dive with. Unfortunately, scales with AP.

E - Heartseeker Strike - Pantheon focuses and unleashes 5 swift strikes to the area in front of him, dealing double damage to champions. Pantheon also becomes more away of his enemy's vital spots, allowing him to always crit enemies below 15% health.
This is your bread and butter. It deals damage in a small cone shape in front of you. This is what will net you kills and the passive component of it is great for finishing off champions. Scales well with AD.

R - Grand Skyfall - Pantheon composes himself then leaps into the air to a target, striking all enemy units in the area. Enemies closer to the impact point take more damage.
The reason you never take teleport. This isn't so useful in anything besides team fights, or people will just simply walk away. But if they are in the middle, they will take a LOT of damage. Sadly, this also scales with AP.

III. Summoner Spells

Exhaust/flash. End of story.
Pantheon is pretty squishy for a melee champion, so flash is great for an escape mechanic and to chase.
I guess you could also use cleanse or ignite, but I've found that this combo is the most effective. Pretty straightforward.

IV. Masteries

I actually use a 22/0/8 build, which many people find unusual. I do this because I find the tier 3 utility specs quite useless on Pantheon, so I just throw another point in to offense.

In offense, you're gonna want improved exhaust, as well as all the basic attack damage specs, and some points into CD reduction. I just get some extra regen and exp in utility.

If you prefer to play it safe, you could follow a 9/21/0 build. But I don't recommend it.

V. Runes

Armor pen for marks and quints.
Crit chance for glyphs and seals.

I use this build for almost all melee champions. It's been statistically proven that armor pen will give you more damage output than crit damage, until level 18. But even then, your crits will only deal a tiny bit less than if you had crit damage, and you will hit more than non-crits.

I find that runes aren't really that important to your game anyway.

VI. Items/building Pantheon

Abilities:
Q
W
E
Q or E (take spear shot if you think you’re gonna be harassing more during the laning phase. Otherwise, stick with E.
E
R
E
Q
E
Q
R
Q
Q
W
W
R
W
W

Simple enough. I'll go over strategy and stuff later.

Items:
Meki Pendant and 2x Health pots
OR
Long Sword and 2x Health pots
Boots 1
Sword of the Occult
Berserker Greaves
Last Whisperer
Bloodthirster
Infinity's Edge
Bloodthirster (you should have enough armor pen at this point in the game, so a Black Cleaver isn't mandatory. I just prefer more lifesteal, personally).

VII. Winning

The most important part of the guide. This is where I teach you to own face.

Now Pantheon is quite the carry, so you can easily handle mid with a little practice.

Pantheon has mana problems. So lane with someone who has clarity, or a Soraka (your best friend). Harass with your spear shot. It has a 30 mana cost and does a decent chunk of damage, which is great to spam with.

If I'm with someone who can restore mana or you don't feel like harassing, stick with the long sword.
If you're planning on taking the solo, a meki pendant might be more efficient (do not bother turning this in to a chalice unless the enemy is extremely AP heavy. Endgame you will have more than enough mana).

Once you hit level 3, you really start to shine. You should have enough mana to cast your 3 spell combo at least twice.

Jump-stun, heartseeker, auto attacks, spear shot, exhaust, auto crit, dead.