@ RIOT - Patcher idea

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DerekBKA

08-09-2011

first of all if it in the wrong section, you can sue me. i can handle it.

ok, so DOMINION is coming, we are all hyping like hell about it ! of course it DOES look totally awesome.

BUT...

if a regular patch overwhelms our beloved servers.... what do u expect will happen when dominion arrives?

We'll have the OVER 9.000 Burned in our screens, we'll hate this Dragon Ball reference forever and even have nightmares about it !

So, considering this upcoming dread that will soon haunt us... while talking to my friend and teammate Superbone 1, i thought to myself....

*if u r lazy start reading from here*
Why RIOT doesn't make PATCHERS. and by that i mean the same exact thing BLIZZARD does for their games...

Files that contain everything that need to be patched in a conventional .exe format and UPLOAD them in SEVERAL DIFFERENT SERVERS. megaupload - rapidshare - torrent - etc...

this way, as i see it, and i might be wrong, Riot Servers won't overload with billions of players all having the hardest time EVAR to download this patch... which i presume will be around 478MB

TL;DR
- Riot make patchers instead of uploading on ur own servers

Thanks a lot for ur time, and if i said something that made no sense at all.. oh well... do ur internet civic duty and troll away

Superbone1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

No seriously, he can handle it. He's a lawyer x)

DerekBKA

08-09-2011

and totally OFF-TOPIC ..*******http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-krL6g3mtkhk/ThpZJEDHLbI/AAAAAAAAAp4/NP4HpY4BWiI/s1600/1308862927284.jpg********

Aether Falls

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekBKA View Post
and totally OFF-TOPIC ..*******http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-krL6g3mtkhk/ThpZJEDHLbI/AAAAAAAAAp4/NP4HpY4BWiI/s1600/1308862927284.jpg********
I play on a mac, and most updates download rather quickly, And i dont mind waiting an hour to play LoL. but dude, come on and explain this to me. I want to "get it" but i just dont? Your saying LoL is a box? Or its like a high tech box? WTF? sorry for me being so dumb

DerekBKA

08-09-2011

its just a picture i just found making fun of Riot's server.... its not even a clever joke... but still made me laugh ! we know they spend tons of cash on their servers.

if the joke is still not clear, the awufly built PC represents the slow server... even if they are not slow... but the picture is funny anyways

morrock

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekBKA View Post
TL;DR
- Riot make patchers instead of uploading on ur own servers
D
Patching isn't the issue, it's the massive amount of users logging in after patching. Patching is handled mostly among the clients (see the peer-to-peer option in the launcher menu?) Blizzard does the same thing, Nexxon does it, a lot of companies do. The .exe mirrors provided are just in case you can't download by conventional p2p methods (college campus internet for example will usually patch more slowly through a launcher).

DerekBKA

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrock View Post
Patching isn't the issue, it's the massive amount of users logging in after patching. Patching is handled mostly among the clients (see the peer-to-peer option in the launcher menu?) Blizzard does the same thing, Nexxon does it, a lot of companies do. The .exe mirrors provided are just in case you can't download by conventional p2p methods (college campus internet for example will usually patch more slowly through a launcher).
yeah i know that the server's hold up is due to the massive players loggin in... but you see, the only reason players are logging in at the same time is becouse they are ALSO downloading everything at the same time, therefore, logging in.

IF they'd give us the option to download the patch elsewhere, i THINK this issue would be solved PLUS we could download it so much faster (in my case i have megaupload acc. so i'd download it at 2mb/sec)

IDK... i think it would be good to at least have this option you know..