Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The All Encompassing Ranged and Melee Attack Damage Carry Itemization Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadyTrader

Recruiter

05-06-2010

The All Encompassing Ranged and Melee Attack Damage Carry Itemization Guide

I. Introduction

Good God why is the title so long? Well simply put this is a guide in which will help you select the items in which you need to become the most effective ranged or melee physical damage carry on your team. Now I believe there is one specific itemization that will help you become the superior carry on your team. I will go over other items and what they will do for you, but i will simply focus on the one i believe will do the best for and Attack Damage Carry.

II. The Lesser Builds

So many summoners love to build their Ashe, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Garen, etc. around Attack Damage or Attack Speed. This I believe is wrong, but i will go over it very quickly anyways. So what would these lesser builds be perchance?

a. Attack Speed

b. Attack Damage

c. Lifesteal

d. Armor Penetration

Oh yes you are clever, you see the one that is missing don't you? Well soon enough we will go into that category and you will discover a whole new world of RAPERAPERAPERAPERAPE! But for now, lets go over what we have previously mentioned.

IIa. Attack Speed

People love attacking at a maxed out rate of 2.5 attacks per second. They love the thrill and the speed! The pure adrenaline rush! But this is wrong! Sooner or later you will die, probably by my hand too. So let us look at the pros of building an Attack Speed Carry.

Pros:

-For every 3 of my hits, you hit me 5 times.
-You have more chances to get in on hit effects ie: Twitch's Poison or the Red buff.
-Every X hits Y Happens will happen sooner ie: Twisted Fate's Stacked Deck or Jax's Ulti and also Sword of the Divine.
-Chance of killing me sooner at lower life as you might get a last hit in sooner than i could.
-Great damage output when used with the red buff and items such as Malady, Madred's Bloodrazor, Wits End, Sword of the Divine, and other on hit effect items.

Now lets move on to another exciting category!

IIb. Attack Damage

LOL I HIT YOU HARD! AND IT HURTS! This is a very viable spec and many go for this as well, as stacking 6 bloodthirsters is suuuuper effective (and super expensive!) So lets go over some of the pros.

Pros:

-You hit like a truck, thats kind of obvious though
-Many skills are effected directly by a percentage of your damage ie: Katarinas Death Lotus, Most of Pantheons abilities
-Higher damage directly effects critical strike damage
-Exceptional for those champions that take a percentage of pure Attack Damage
-You hit hard
-It hurts

IIc. Lifesteal

Yet another category that falls short, but this one definitely leeches the life right out of you! Many will go for a malady, a couple of bloodthirsters, and a Starks. So lets look at some pros of this build

Pros:

-Mixed build with added damage, speed, and lifesteal.
-More survivable than most of the other builds as you are stealing life at the same time as dealing damage.
-Very effective when used with warwick (He is probably the only character i don't use this guide for as over 100% lifesteal is ******ed on him, especially with his ulti).
-Laning becomes extremely easy as you can stay in lane forever, assuming you are not stupid.
-The tides of a battle can turn fairly easily as you are leaching from them, something they usually do not expect.

IId. Armor Penetration

Yeah, you like to penetrate don't you? You like to go deep in their armor and penetrate over and over again. What? No i wasn't talking about that! You're disgusting! But seriously, lets do something that is totally unexpected and look at the pros.

Pros:

-Easily wipe out tanks with high damage mitigation
-Umm yeah.

I honestly think Armor Penetration is slightly worthless, lets move on.

III. The godliest build you have ever seen in your life.

So i am sure many of you have figured it out by now, but this is insanely over powered when you build like this. This is where i will spend the majority of my time describing to you how much of an idiot you were not to do this (hell i was an idiot before i realized how much this controls a game). Lets do something we have done before, and then move onto the actual runes, masteries, and items.

Pros:

-Instead of hitting for 200-400 damage, you are consistantly hitting for 600-900 damage depending on how late in the game.
-3 Shotting the other carries is extremely fun.
-It will out dps any other guides, items, or specs
-As there are no pure Critical Strike items, most come with added damage and attack speed
-Once you get the main three components of this build, you can get whatever else you want

I say now we look at some cons, i guess...

Cons:

-It is slightly expensive to build
-It does not get very effective until mid-late game
-You will be sad at how fast people die, and wish you had better competition

I guess no that that is done, lets go on to another section!

IIIa. Runes

All of your runes should be similar to the below runes:

-Greater Seal of Furor: +0.78% critical damage x 9 = 7.02%
-Greater Mark of Furor: +2.23% critical damage x 9 = 20.07%
-Greater Glyph of Furor: +0.56% critical damage x 9 = 5.04%
-Greater Quintessence of Furor: +4.46% critical damage x 3 = 13.38%

That comes out to a total of 45.51% critical damage! With an infinity edge your critical strikes will be hitting for a WHOPPING 295.51% of your normal damage! So lets just round that up to an even 300% for later usage. (what its not like 5% will even matter...that much)

If you wish to go for a more balanced build to use with other melee characters and whatnot i usually go for a mix of Crit Chance and Attack Speed.

IIIb. I Go Down The Offensive Tree

Yeah thats pretty much all you need to know for Masteries.

IIIc. Items

So it is very simple we must get these items in order:

-Brawler's Gloves and two health potions at the beginning of the game
-Avarice blade
-Boots (Either Swiftness, Mobility, or Berzerkers) I usually always go for Swiftness with some exceptions, it becomes very annoying later on.
-The Brutalizer
-Finish off Youmuu's Ghostblade
-Infinity Edge
-Phantom Dancer

By now you should have a pretty nice crit chance, but i would try and push it up to 100 or over with a trinity force, atma's impaler, or an executioners calling. After this, your options are simple either get

-Black Cleaver and a Bloodthirster
-2xBloodthirsters

This will increase your damage, which will in turn increase your crits...probably to well over one thousand. And if we simply do the math, if you have approximately 250 to 300 Attack Damage, minus a little bit of armor, you are normal critting always over 750-800 damage. I was once playing Garen, and i realized that my spin attack did around 280dmg a tick, and my auto attack hit for 800. I LOL'd then stopped using any abilities at all and just auto attacked the other team to death.

So there it is! Now you know how to itemize (and how!) so now lets go over our final section of this guide:

IV: Gameplay

Early game is kind of tough, you want the revenue from ganks though so stay alive until mid game then start going around in gank squads and RAPERAPERAPE unsuspecting victims.

Midgame you are starting to get better but are still slightly weak, wait in the back of the pack (or if youve been fed) charge into their forces head on.

Since you are the teams carry you do NOT want to go for their tanks. You do NOT want to go for their support. You want to go for the squishiest, highest damage dealing, son of a nutcracker on their team. Wait for the first wave of cooldowns to end and then rush in (Preferably from a bush or a hidden spot) and take our their carries. You can do so in roughly....3 hits. Why? Because usually carries do not have any damage mitigation. You hit them so hard, and they die so quick with their 1800hp.

Its as simple as that, you kill their carries, their damage goes down by roughly 2/3rds and you win the team battle.

So thats about it, have fun people, and Auto-attack your way to victory!

-ShadyTrader

Aurax

05-06-2010

Obviously if you can farm a Ghostablade, boots, and then IE+PD, you will do a lot of damage with critical damage runes. But a mage with equivalent money spent in AP items and magic penetration runes will rape everything in his path too. Nothing new here

BTW if the other team is half smart, they can buy a thornmail or two and every hit you deal to them, is roughly reduced to 50% of the damage but you will still receive around 150 damage per hit (before your own magic resist)

Cheers!

ShadyTrader

Recruiter

05-06-2010

Quote:
Aurax:

BTW if the other team is half smart, they can buy a thornmail or two and every hit you deal to them, is roughly reduced to 50% of the damage but you will still receive around 150 damage per hit (before your own magic resist)

Cheers!

Ah but then you are making their teams carries waste items on a thornmail which will reduce their damage output and allow your teams magic dealers to destroy their carries.

Supreme1337

05-06-2010

I think EnderA had disproved Crit Damage runes a long time ago.... His math proves that you do more damage with armor pen runes. I'm not saying it's bad on IE but not for runes.

BTW Go look up that post by EnderA for the math on ArmPen vs CrtDmg

EDIT: Here's the link to that post: https://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=70173&highlight=EnderA

wildfire393

05-06-2010

Blant lack of knowledge about game mechanics is blatant.

Armor Penetration is worthless? Worthless? What kind of crack are you smoking? Armor Penetration provides by far the largest increase to DPS of any DPS stat, and the more you have of it the more damage you deal, unless you are somehow penetrating all of their armor (which is rare, as even the squishiest of champions gets up to 70 armor at level 18 with no items or abilities, meaning 40% from LW brings them to 42, which is just slightly less than the penetration from Marks + Ghostblade).

Crit Damage runes provide less damage on a critical attack than Armor Penetration runes do for any reasonable armor value, and the more armor pen you stack the more useful APen gets. Crit damage is never a viable choice.

Phantom Dancer is decent, but Last Whisper is more important. I'm too lazy to run the calcs right now, but I'm positive that it adds more damage with the items you've already listed, and for significantly less.

However, you are right in that Ghostblade and IE are the other two items that are a must have on Physical champs, and people who build for Attackspeed or pure lifesteal are doing it wrong. Ghostblade and IE are not great for their crit though, but for the fact that they cover so many of the DPS stats by themselves.

Eppa

05-06-2010

Arpen is multiplicative and is really cheaply itemized.

ShadyTrader

Recruiter

05-06-2010

See i like to disagree on the armor pen, simply because even if they are mitigating 40% of my damage, i am still critting for approximately 500 a hit. Whereas if you do (just like you said) somehow happen to get them to 0 armor rating, you are just doing your base damage in hits, which is what? 300?

ShadyTrader

Recruiter

05-06-2010

Also, i am not talking about High Elo or any rating system, i am just talking about your normal run of the mill /join game. Im not saying this will work in a fully premade high ELO game, im just talking about a normal pugg'ed game.

Eppa

05-06-2010

Quote:
ShadyTrader:
See i like to disagree on the armor pen, simply because even if they are mitigating 40% of my damage, i am still critting for approximately 500 a hit. Whereas if you do (just like you said) somehow happen to get them to 0 armor rating, you are just doing your base damage in hits, which is what? 300?

Do you want to crit for 500 and do 400 dps or hit for 300 and do 450dps. Its been proven that arpen marks are far better than crit damage marks.

wildfire393

05-06-2010

Quote:
ShadyTrader:

Okay, you're going to make me break out my math. Assume a fairly average champion matchup at high level. You have 100 base damage and they have 80 armor. I'll look at two builds. The first is your build, which has 45% crit damage in runes and goes 21/x/x for another 10% crit damage, 3 damage, 6 armor pen, and 4% damage increase. My build goes Armor Pen Marks and Quints (29), Mana regen/level Seals, and CDR Glyphs along with 9/0/21 for some pretty heavy mana regen (staying power) and cooldown reduction (ability spam), because I know a champion does more than rightclick. Additionally, we both have a Ghostblade and an IE, and as my third item I have a Last Whisper, while you have a Phantom Dancer. Your raw average damage per attack is 571, while mine is only 392. However, you suffer a 35% damage reduction due to unpenetrated armor, dropping your net damage down to 370 per attack. Meanwhile, I suffer no damage reduction, dealing 392 damage per attack. Switching from a Phantom Dancer to a Last Whisper and Crit Damage Marks/Quints to Armor Pen adds that much more damage, even with the handicap of not using offensive runes in Seals or Glyphs and not going all the way to 21 points in Offense and while using a third item that costs 1410 less than the Phantom Dancer.