Why such a short map?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Funster

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Early on, we had a problem where players found the intensity level draining
This is why I have troubles playing long games of SC2 or Dawn of War, and why I usually take a sizeable break between games! I don't think it's a bad thing, because despite being drained, you feel like you're on top of the world when you win! I can understand the need to tone it down though, I just hope you don't tone it down too much

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hotarukin

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Early on, we had a problem where players found the intensity level draining.

We fixed this by making sure all archetypes work, and making sure that multiple valid approaches have different intensity levels. Some people on the team need to attack ,while some need to defend -- and you naturally need to go buy items anyway which causes a pause. So, overall, the intensity level is manageable for people because they select into the intensity level that they enjoy.

One conscious design choice in Dominion was to try to create self-selection into an intensity level that works for each player... and really good players and really bad players both have a wide range -- so a super pro player might prefer more passive roles or aggressive roles. It's not a skill thing.
I'm very glad to hear that, and thank you for the response. I was a little worried for a short while. Either way, I'm still looking forward to the new map, and the new gameplay.