Why such a short map?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrooklynRage91

08-10-2011

SR is sucha small map imo just make the maps bigger the jungle is boring u know people only have certain ways to go unlike in dota or RoT fk they could be anywhere after a few seconds i could go on ezreal and be dancing in the enemy base in under 20 seconds SR is so small

dominion looks great but i hope the small map doesn't hinder the enjoyment

MagicMyshu

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
wat

This thing is nonstop action. It's distilled fun in an intense burst. At the end of nearly every single game I've played on it your pulse is still pounding.
Give me some of THAT!

xGvPx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion567 View Post
Mmmmmost of the time. I've had a 3v3 match that went on for over an hour, it was insane. There's no theoretical upper limit to a standard "kill the nexus" game, no matter how many players. Your point stands, though. One of the reds said that "no playtest game ever lasted more than 27 minutes."
I've played in a few 3v3s that went over an hour as well. Will really depend on the spacing between three adjacent points in Dominion. A 5v5 requires you to stretch three points to defend your base, and at that point, the only way to win is to have a 4v5 while one of your guys does backdoor, or you have to win a team fight and just hope for a game ending mid push before the minions tear you up. But most of the time if you have to stretch three points in SR you're going to lose because of the minion waves.

In a 3v3 you only have two points, which makes it a bit easier. But like a lot of people have said in this thread, Dominion will always have the countdown rolling. People can do all kinds of crazy stuff in a nexus-based game, like decide to Baron when they don't really need to, finish a trololol build by jungle-farming, or they might even lose connection for some reason which will elongate a fight an extra 10-15 minutes. There won't be anything like that in Dominion, no drag time.

Soreasan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2011

I'm personally really excited to play on a map with shorter play times. In my opinion an hour is too long for a game of league of legends. 20 minutes is very reasonable.

Lava

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
wat

This thing is nonstop action. It's distilled fun in an intense burst. At the end of nearly every single game I've played on it your pulse is still pounding.
Yea that way its intended. Wait a month jozrael and you'll get the turtle he is talking about. What makes you win is always followed.

Ellye

08-10-2011

Anyone who ever played Dawn of War 2 (and possibily Company of Heroes) knows that capture point control is a frantic, non-stop action, game mode.
Heck, even in tabletop wargames this is a relatively fast paced mode.

I can't wait to see how it will turn out for League of Legends.

The Lord of Hats

08-11-2011

You can only turtle so long as you have more points than the opponents, and the only way you're going to be able to do that is to play aggressively. You're not going to be able to constantly defend three different points, because your defensive is going to have to be reactive. Since the team on the offensive will be able to throw different permutations at you, they're going to be able to win fights and take points (because they WILL be able to pick out your weak points and assault them).

Defense in Dominion is going to e more abot disruption than anything. If you can kill someone trying to take a node, fantastic, but if you can keep disrupting them long enough to distract them from your team's offensive, well that's great too.

Dessim8

08-11-2011

Let me reword since everyone is strawmaning me! I wish this map WAS not so quick paced as I'd like a nice long gimmick map... but this will be fun regardless I'm sure... I hope.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-11-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotarukin View Post
This makes me afraid to play it. Will I need medicines to not want to rip something off the wall when all is said and done? (Not out of rage, but out of nervousness.)
Early on, we had a problem where players found the intensity level draining.

We fixed this by making sure all archetypes work, and making sure that multiple valid approaches have different intensity levels. Some people on the team need to attack ,while some need to defend -- and you naturally need to go buy items anyway which causes a pause. So, overall, the intensity level is manageable for people because they select into the intensity level that they enjoy.

One conscious design choice in Dominion was to try to create self-selection into an intensity level that works for each player... and really good players and really bad players both have a wide range -- so a super pro player might prefer more passive roles or aggressive roles. It's not a skill thing.

LemmeEatYou

08-11-2011

A map where you don't have to just farm and gank 24/7 sounds very interesting.