Why such a short map?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dessim8

08-08-2011

I mean, when you think of it, turtlish sounding maps like these would seem... longer, at least more than 20 mins. I was kinda hoping it would be because I long for a long map that is long, but fun.

Dessim8

08-09-2011

Answer?

Diskings

08-09-2011

Then play 5v5s. Most of us have things to do with our lives, and when we only have an hour we don't want to risk playing a 5v5 because they can potentially go on longer. Yet an hour should be more than enough time to enjoy a game of league of legends (and it is for 3v3s, but a lot of people dislike 3's).

Frag Pulf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

Battlefield?

Rat228

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I think that it would be really easy to turn this into a Much longer game mode by increasing the amount of points a side needs in order to win I think that would be an awesome thing Riot could add to the custom map version of this in order to please people who would like a longer CP map experience

Yaezakura

08-09-2011

It's impossible to turtle in a map like this, because after the first few seconds, one team is always actively losing the game.

There are an odd number of control points. There are 2 teams. This means that once each point has been claimed, one team will always own at least one more than their opponents, so one team's nexus health is constantly draining. The game literally has a built-in countdown timer to victory. While it may take a variable amount of time for all 5 points to be claimed at the start (a figure I will guess very rarely, if ever, takes longer than 1 minute), once that condition is met the game cannot possibly longer than X amount of time--that X being the time it takes for one team's Nexus to reach 1 (while factoring in a one-base difference and no additional penalties like champion deaths) and then for the point to change hands and the other team's Nexus to reach 0 (given the same conditions).

Figuring up how long that could take gives you the longest possible Dominion game. And since the game has a hard cap on how long it can possibly last, that places a lot of pressure on people to not even attempt turtling.

tibot

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
It's impossible to turtle in a map like this, because after the first few seconds, one team is always actively losing the game.

There are an odd number of control points. There are 2 teams. This means that once each point has been claimed, one team will always own at least one more than their opponents, so one team's nexus health is constantly draining. The game literally has a built-in countdown timer to victory. While it may take a variable amount of time for all 5 points to be claimed at the start (a figure I will guess very rarely, if ever, takes longer than 1 minute), once that condition is met the game cannot possibly longer than X amount of time--that X being the time it takes for one team's Nexus to reach 1 (while factoring in a one-base difference and no additional penalties like champion deaths) and then for the point to change hands and the other team's Nexus to reach 0 (given the same conditions).

Figuring up how long that could take gives you the longest possible Dominion game. And since the game has a hard cap on how long it can possibly last, that places a lot of pressure on people to not even attempt turtling.
that isnt going to stop turtles, thats why turtles work

Yaezakura

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibot View Post
that isnt going to stop turtles, thats why turtles work
If all you do is turtle and try to hold existing points, you will eventually lose. You can't possibly defend 3 points simultaneously, especially if the entire enemy team groups up to take one.

Then, since your strategy and champion selections were based around playing defensively, you have no real hope of every pulling yourself back into the lead.

Dessim8

08-09-2011

Do people just have that much to do lately. I remember when these sorts of games, not LoL specifically, but these types of games were long but not dull. Oh well. Im sure this map'll be fun.

Scraping Spear

08-09-2011

Everything Yaezakura has said is truth. To attempt to turtle on this map is to fail, period.