"Hey look it's Command and Conquer 4!"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asphyxious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Dark View Post
Pretty much it was like getting two already established things and mixing them together to create something awesome. Sure, MOBAs and capture and holds have been used often, but for some reason no one was smart enough to combine the two until now.
Like peanut butter and chocolate?

kavi

08-09-2011

Huh.

I said "Ooh look, it's Arathi Basin!"

deathcoilfeardot

08-09-2011

C&C 4? What are you, 12? Cap-and-hold has been around for a long time.

kavi

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcoilfeardot View Post
C&C 4? What are you, 12? Cap-and-hold has been around for a long time.
Very true... that's kinda my point... you could probably take most any major online game these days and find an example of cap & hold, it just depends what you're familiar with ^^

We need more gold!

ChrIsAStud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I love cap & hold
This is going to make me even more of a hardcore gamer for League of Legends

SlaughterHaus5

08-09-2011

The earliest possible example I can think of for a capture and hold game mode is the canalzon (Canal Zone) map for the original Team Fortress mod for Quake 1, so we're talking what, 96? 97?

http://www.planetfortress.com/jmcstf...e/canalzon.htm

Congratulations, you just learned that every idea is a combination of ideas that came before it. Welcome to Real Life.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-09-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Dark View Post
Pretty much it was like getting two already established things and mixing them together to create something awesome. Sure, MOBAs and capture and holds have been used often, but for some reason no one was smart enough to combine the two until now.
It's been done in a half-hearted manner in some mods, and it's possible some games have done it, but I don't think anyone has done it in a major way that is well polished and super fun. Looking forward to seeing the reactions of gamers to it soon.

- Zileas

kavi

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It's been done in a half-hearted manner in some mods, and it's possible some games have done it, but I don't think anyone has done it in a major way that is well polished and super fun. Looking forward to seeing the reactions of gamers to it soon.

- Zileas
Oh snob, thou!

I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but...

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

Shiromaki

08-09-2011

Sincerely...This is the most stupid thread ever made, if the intention was to say "Its a rip off from C&C 4"... Dominion Was NEVER intended for being original, it was intended to be fun.

2- Domion as far as I know exist since Unreal tournament exist... That means this mode have more than 10 years. Not from C&C, not from TF 2... Is almost as old as CTF. If you mean there are other RTS's that used this mode... sorry, C&C 4 is not the first RTS game that used dominion as a game mode.

YdoUwant2know

08-09-2011

C & C 4???

Right.... see I was thinking Battlefield personally...

"Cap and hold" is really just Conquest. Each team starts with a set number of tickets (Nexus health). That health drops each time you die, and drops even faster depending on the number of point (flags) that you hold over the enemy team (ticket bleed).

Am I saying they ripped off the idea from DICE, no, not at all. They just took an established FPS game mode and recreated it in an entirely different genera.

Personally, I am really looking forward to Dominion and the new strategies and new chances for teamwork.