Ramdomized quests make me D:

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dance Dark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

But how are the quests distributed? If they're given at the same time, it could be difficult to both defend a point from the enemy's quest and to get the point to complete your quest. If they're given at different times, then one team could get an unfair advantage over the other that gets their quest later. And no matter the times, as long as they're both given the same amount, it's possible that one quest is harder for one team than the other's quest, which would again make an unfair advantage.

If the quests are given to teams that are behind... actually, that could be pretty fair.

Garlic Prawn

08-09-2011

Gonna bring up Smash Brothers again. That random element is a major annoyance, which is why some of us are really worried about the quests in Dominion. We hate game elements that mean one side can get a sudden advantage for no reason other than luck of the draw.

Would suck if the enemy team was all grouped up to take one of our bases, we decide to let it go and push a different lane, and suddenly a quest comes up that rewards them for taking that base.

Would also suck if an objective came up that was on the other side of the map from where most of our team was while the entire enemy team just happened to be in that area.

On the other hand, if the quests are triggered by particular events in the game, that would make them more fair, but it would also make them predictable by experienced players. It would mean experienced players could smell a quest coming up and get into position early, giving them an added advantage over newbies who will be wondering why the quests always seem to favour the other team. If they always trigger for losing teams, you might get people intentionally holding back so they can trigger quests, like people slowing down so they can kill the race leader and steal 1st place right before the finish line in Mario Kart.

Either they are random or they are predictable. Pick your poison.

Sorry if I sound antagonistic. I'm not trying to **** over the great work Riot does, but you guys have to know that these are some of the fears we have from our past bad experiences with other games. If you do figure out a quest system that is fun and yet isn't random enough to unbalance games, that would be great of course. I hope that when Dominion arrives, you'll have all these issues ironed out nicely.

Zinwrath

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic Prawn View Post
Gonna bring up Smash Brothers again. That random element is a major annoyance, which is why some of us are really worried about the quests in Dominion. We hate game elements that mean one side can get a sudden advantage for no reason other than luck of the draw.

Would suck if the enemy team was all grouped up to take one of our bases, we decide to let it go and push a different lane, and suddenly a quest comes up that rewards them for taking that base.

Would also suck if an objective came up that was on the other side of the map from where most of our team was while the entire enemy team just happened to be in that area.

On the other hand, if the quests are triggered by particular events in the game, that would make them more fair, but it would also make them predictable by experienced players. It would mean experienced players could smell a quest coming up and get into position early, giving them an added advantage over newbies who will be wondering why the quests always seem to favour the other team. If they always trigger for losing teams, you might get people intentionally holding back so they can trigger quests, like people slowing down so they can kill the race leader and steal 1st place right before the finish line in Mario Kart.

Either they are random or they are predictable. Pick your poison.

Sorry if I sound antagonistic. I'm not trying to **** over the great work Riot does, but you guys have to know that these are some of the fears we have from our past bad experiences with other games. If you do figure out a quest system that is fun and yet isn't random enough to unbalance games, that would be great of course. I hope that when Dominion arrives, you'll have all these issues ironed out nicely.
All my friends were saying and thinking the exact same thing. People like as little random interference from competitive games as possible. Got real excited about the new map till you mentioned the quest feature....i hope theres an explanation to WHY its implemented. Cause sounds like the map would work just fine without it.

CajuNatoR

08-09-2011

There needs to be an option to turn off quests. Then in ranked you can turn them off so that their is more fair gameplay for the serious players