A rune page for AP, need input

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Freudian Slip

12-26-2010

I was going to start working on a rune page I can use for casters that is more AP-based. I know basic caster pages follow the red m-pen, mana regen yellows, etc build, but I've seen casters who start out with harder hitting spells because of their AP runes. I usually forget to check their runes though, so I'm a bit lost here.

So, how should I build an AP page? Do I get flat quints, and everything else per level? Or should I get flat this, per level that... Do I still use yellows for mana regen?

I use a variety of AP-based champions- Cho'gath, Annie, Kassadin, Teemo and Anivia are my favorite heroes that I play as AP. If anybody has specific advice for any of them, that's fine too, I'm just trying to find a page that'll mostly work for all of them.

PardonMySwag

12-26-2010

If you want a page that works for all of them, just use the caster page

MP Reds
Mp5/Lev Yellows
I like AP/Level Blues
Flat Hp/MP quints

Freudian Slip

12-26-2010

Yeah, but I already said I didn't want the "standard" caster page. I want one based around more AP.

Cenerae

12-26-2010

The thing is, to use AP you either have to give up magic pen (which will net you more damage overall) in the red slot, mana regen in the yellow slot, and mana regen/cdr in the blues. And magic pen/health/movespeed/etc in the quints.

It's generally not worth doing unless you have a very specific goal in mind. AP runepages tend to be AP in every slot, perhaps with magic pen in reds and/or quints. The only time I've seen it was on a Zilean, and it was a pain, but he was hyper squishy so not that bad to deal with.

biomorph

12-26-2010

I used flat AP once in every slot except Seals a few times when playing Karthus. It can easily be argued that this is not optimal but I often got first blood with wall->lay waste because I did so much damage early on. This is more of a fun build but it it is indeed fun =P

monkeyxiv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2010

magic pen reds ap per lvl blue and yellows flat ap quints... with amp tome and tha you start with 38 ap.. and since your ap per lvl you get like 60 ap end game from rune book alone

viscrom

12-26-2010

Can anyone prove that MPen or HP quints > movement speed quints for a general caster (or even general ranged AD carry)?

I vaguely remember reading a post either here or on leaguecraft that stated that with 3 movement speed quints you get roughly the same movement speed as having +1 boots.

That seems like a nice boost for heroes that typically do not want to be hit. Being able to tag that guy for a last hit or barely escape some skill shot/auto attack could be the difference of being 1-1 by level 12 or 3-0 by level 12 which is a pretty big benefit.

The only real situation I can see HP being the most useful is when you're fighting a mirror of yourself in a solo lane while both heroes depend on non-skill shots to deal damage. The one with more HP will pretty much guarantee own the lane.

I had this happen literally once in almost 29 levels. It was kass vs kass and he had HP runes. Everytime we traded blows we both knew I would die first if we fought to the death so he got a pretty big upper hand in farm. There was nothing I could do except call for a gank.

In 99% of the other situations I just can't fathom spending the IP for ~100 HP early on.

Ebonclaw

12-27-2010

Some people have a whole book of Flat AP, which gives about 35AP at level 1.

My current Akali page is a strong compromise, giving 8.5 MPen, 20 Flat AP, and 30 Scaling AP. It gives your spells a good extra kick at the start, builds to a respectable boost in late game, provides your early game MPen, AND is useful for any AP champ whether they use mana or not.

I can't remember exactly which runes are Flat AP. Look up my profile ingame to see, Akali page is either 2 or 3.

Also, rickless gives good advice, but he's kinda skipping the part where you haven't played terribly long, and you don't have 6 specific purpose pages like I do. This specific rune build I'm showing you is particularly valuable to a newer player, because it is universally useful for AP based champs. It's a -little- more challenging build than some, since it lacks HP Quints, so I recommend that for most champs, you try to fit Veteran's Scars mastery into your build, and/or start with a Doran's item, if you use this rune page.

SynergyDreamer

12-27-2010

MPen Marks
MP/5 Seals
Flat AP Glyphs
Flat AP Quints

I don't have MP/5 Seals but I wish I did atm...

I'd use this for Janna and Kayle.
edit:For your particular champions the typical caster page is more, optimal.

Cenerae

12-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscrom View Post
Can anyone prove that MPen or HP quints > movement speed quints for a general caster (or even general ranged AD carry)?
This really depends on your playstyle. Obviously, having Mpen quints means your spells hit a bit harder, so you'll have a more aggressive playstyle because of this. HP quints buffer your early game squishiness, so it's better if you're worried about getting ganked early or feel you risk simply being killed easily in the lane. Movespeed quints are always going to be useful, but they're not going to provide anywhere close to +50 movespeed (which is what boots 1 offers). But you will be running around faster and this is always better than not running around faster.