Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Just started playing, Bought Gangplank and need some advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YodelingGoat

08-07-2011

I just started playing a couple days ago, and i loved it so much i ran out and bought two $10 dollar cards. My first pick for a champion was obvious. Not only was he on sale, he's a pirate! How do you not buy that? So i have been playing with him in a few co-op vs. AI games, and while i will say that i have done WAY better than with any of the other champs i tried so far (that little mummy b****rd was **** near impossible), I am still dreadful.

Since i am still so new to the game i am just beginning to grasp the concept behind the shop and the items, but still don't really have the faintest about builds or things like what jungling is and why its important or what to spend my points on as i level, which summoner spells and a thousand other noob things.

I was just wondering if maybe i could get some general advice, and maybe a little more specific ideas for how to play with Gangplank. As a new player to this genre entirely, Any and all constructive input is not only welcome, but craved.

RiseTheFall

08-07-2011

Jungling is important because it lets 2 fellow champions solo. Soloing gives them a ton more experience since experience isn't shared between 2 champs.

With amumu you have to make him a tank. You interrupt the fight with bandage toss and his ultimate.

AreYouReady2Die

08-07-2011

He's a fun champion main thing is if you do not have atleast 50% crit chance he's a very sad pirate!

Since your new all points in offense tree getting crit chance, armor pen, etc 21 points in offense pretty much.

Armor pen for your mark runes and quints (red/purple)

Flat armor(has a single number not per level), or flat mana regen for seals(yellow)
Cooldown reduction glyphs(blue)

Typically start with the 400g crit item(on my phone and forgot name) hp heal pot and a mana pot.

Main goal till you learn to play is get infinity edge item as fast as you can.

Turn that 400g crit item into avarice blade or as I prefer zeal, get your boots 1 and farm Infity edge.

Good final new player build is phantom dancer, infinity edge, wriggles lantern, phantom dancer (2nd), force of nature, sell boots for warmog's or something else you won't need boots.

Look up gangplank in guide lists they have full guides on him in forums.

AreYouReady2Die

08-07-2011

Also if enemy is stacking armor up, counter it with last whisper if your able.
Early focus is crit chance, later in game its getting more damage, and late late game is survival/penetrating their defense

YodelingGoat

08-07-2011

Thank you guys for replying so quickly. That absolutely helps me sooo much. Like i said, if anyone else has anything to offer please feel free i want to become an effective player and teammate as soon as i can. I am hooked on this game. I find myself late to the raids in the games i pay to play because i am in the middle of a game like this and loving it, haha.

T3cK

08-07-2011

I myself bought Gangplank thinking that he would be the epitome of pirate-melee-carry-face-ownage. Then they made gold/5sec passives unique. Since then, it is better to build him similar to Ashe. You won't get 100% crit chance, but you will hit like a truck. And when you crit you'll hit like a bigger truck. I'm not a big fan of jungleplank. I prefer taking a duo-top with a support (sona, soraka, taric) or a tank (rammus or maokai). For masteries I would take 21-0-9 or 21-9-0, but since you just started I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of mastery points. Focus on the offensive tree until around level 15-16 when you can throw some points into either utility OR defense. For the build I would recommend starting with brawler's gloves and a health potion. Build an avarice blade and basic boots on your first recall. Then grab Ionian boots for CDR, build a trinity force starting with the sheen, then zeal, followed by phage or the full trinity. Focus on damage and crits after this, but DO NOT get yommu's. Too many people think this is an acceptable item for someone who needs crit and damage, but there are much better ones. Some good items are executioner's calling, infinity edge (must build at some point), as well as a bloodthirster and last whisper. Atmogs doesn't go amiss either if you are doing well and want more damage (Atma's impaler and Warmog's/Leviathan).

As far as being a better player overall, learning lane ettiquite and last-hitting are paramount. Figure out what each champion you are against does. With practice you can learn to predict which opponents you will be facing which will help a TON. Generally you will have an AP carry mid, another AD carry and a support or tank bot and an offtank top with a jungler. Some people prefer an AD carry mid, AP carry and tank bot and offtank and tank top. Play a few games and you'll get the gist of it. Last-hitting. It's bread and butter for anyone but especially a melee carry like GP. Auto attacking pushes your lane leaving you open to ganks, zoning, luring and taunting or any way to make you take tower aggro and or die horribly. Keep moving and attack only when you KNOW you can kill the minion in a single hit. Other than that, keep playing and listening to advice your teammates might give you. Another option is to watch tournaments, read up on different champions and tune in to high ELO games and replays. I would also volunteer to play a practice game if you so desire. Just keep working at it and you'll be a decent teammate yet.

Hope this helps!

T3cK

Forrestal

08-07-2011

Gangplank

Trinity Force+ Infinities Edge+ Phantom Dancer+Phantom Dancer+Blood thirster+ Blood thirister.

Screw surviability. screw team ulitity. Parley crits for 1.5k plus.

Snaketeeth01

08-07-2011

For rune's you want to pick those up as you level up. Tier 1 runes are cheap enough that you can buy up ones that you want, and still be able to afford champs you want to buy.

I recommend finding a "class" of champion you like to play and stick with it for a little while. This way you will have rune's that will positively affect any champ you play.
If you are going to play gangplank, master yi, any AD champion's, you will want thing's like CDR glyphs, Apen marks, mana per 5 seal's, armor seal's. Look into whether you want to start jungling, and what runes will help you in your build.
By the time you hit level 10 you will have a better concept of how runes work, and you can spend some IP on a FEW specific runes that will really help out. And once you are level 17, start saving IP like mad. As soon as you hit 20, that's when you can buy tier 3 runes.
As you stockpile up you can recyle your tier 1 runes that you no longer use, and turn 5 of them into 1 tier 2 rune.

Try to play several different champs just to learn what youll be fighting against.
Also practice hard on last hitting minion's! This gold is what will allow you to build earlier than your opponent's giving you the early edge to getting early kill's.
For ad champ's I'd suggest using exhaust and ignite for summoner spell's, as tehy will help your game drastically.

Dwarfling

08-07-2011

Well, you're barely starting, lv6, so I wouldn't go about jungling since you need runes and masteries for that.

Some things you gotta know about Gangplank is:

- Parrley applies on-hit effects like Lizard buff, life steal and also crits. You want to abuse that as much as you can without sacrificing your survivability because you're also melee. So buy a couple items with crit chance (Like Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer or Atma's Impaler) and make the rest stuff that makes you hard to kill (like Banshee's Veil).

- Don't empty your mana healing with Remove Scurvy, you need it to escape CC and the mana to farm better. Instead buy a Vampiric Scepter when you have time, no need to build it into something right away.

- Always grab Lizard buff whenever you can, it makes you incredibly hard to escape.

- Keep an eye on the minimap at all times. If you see a fight going on somewhere else, use Cannon Barrage to help out your team if you're not planning of using it on your lane.

- Go to Key Bindings and change Q to "Smart Cast Spell 1". Smart cast will make it will cast that spell at the current position of your mouse. Makes it easier to last hit and hit things in general. You can do the same thing with the rest of your skills if you like it.

YodelingGoat

08-07-2011

o wow thanks guys lots of stuff for me to sink my teeth into. keep em coming i am learning alot. Thanks for being so helpful