Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Trying new heroes makes me look worse

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

turtlejay

Recruiter

05-05-2010

I've been figuring out some of the more difficult parts of this game slowly, and bringing my negative ELO (after a. . .rock start with Trist as main) into relative balance. Reading some advice here on the forums led me to start trying out the free heroes each week to learn their abilities better.

It has led to net losses for me. i tried out Veigar, Morgana, and Gragas this week. I fell inlove with Morgana. It was a blast to play her. I played the handful of practice games that actually earned me IP, then decided to try her in a PUG.

Of course I got my ass handed to me. A few times. I did this with Veigar, too.

Like, I understand that Practice games are such a crapshoot, and I shouldn't let them influence me. But going 25-0-0 on TT with Morgana was . . .intoxicating.

Anyhow, does this happen to anyone else? Overall my play with mains has improved. But my total W/L numbers are worse.

Jay

Blumfan

05-05-2010

W/L doesn't really matter that much, though. The only thing a 1:1 w/l ratio means is that the matchmaker is doing it's job, any shift in either way means it isn't.

Whom

05-05-2010

Lose battles -> Lower ELO -> easier battles

Keep playing -> more experience -> more comfortable with new hero -> start owning easier battles -> ELO goes back up -> ??? -> Profit!

TBH, I think that the first couple of practice games are worse than the subsequent (hopefully brief) losing streak in normal. Fewer smurfs and griefers in matchmaking.

WilsonK

05-05-2010

Better bots should help a lot...

Yellow Jester

05-05-2010

Bot AI is ridiculously difficult to program, don't get your hopes up.

It's one thing to teach a bot to use its skills appropriately

It's entirely different to teach a bot to understand the competitive metagame, zoning, how to lead with a skillshot, how to counter an opponent's build, how to run away effectively, how to decide when to initiate, and how to work as a team.

RamboBatman

05-05-2010

Yeah, bots aren't going to change anytime soon. If you made the AI better they'd actually become too good pretty quickly because their reaction time is obviously better than a human could ever be. Try using Warwick's ult on an Alistair bot, he'll stun you in the split second between your blink and the beginning of your stun.

turtlejay

Recruiter

05-06-2010

I don't think it is the bots that are the problem. A lot of folks play in PUG with just random collections of folks for Practice games. Just last night I was trying out cho and I played a couple of games with 1st-30th level summoners. It is hard to judge your competence level with such a wide range of experience.

Jay