The "hold" in capture and hold

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Conncept

08-07-2011

RIOT has stated in the past that they want to encourage more aggressive gameplay in LoL than previous arena combat games, specifically that they wanted to avoid the super-defensive gameplay which was typical of DOTA.

How exactly will Dominion accomplish this?

I see multiple problems concerning the dominion gameplay with this issue
1. People are going to rush for three of the five points, then turtle
2. More often than not, childish quitters are going to try and surrender minutes into the game when they fail to be the first to get the three points and turtle.
3. Support/Tank characters are going to be the carries on this map because of the defense aspect, rather than AP/AD DPS characters. For months reds have eluded to a change in how supports/tanks work to make the gameplay even more agressive. Will this change happen before Dominion or after? If after, are we to expect a huge change in the dominion Meta when the support revamps come?

Magma Armor0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2011

with 5 people on a team, "turtling" would consist of 2 people at two turrets, and 1 one person at one. the one will inevitably be ganked by the enemy team, causing that team to "turtle", which will fail just as quickly. repeat until someone realizes that this type of gameplay isn't going to work, finds an alternative, and wins.

Chibils

08-07-2011

This is exactly the same as Arathi Basin in wow except with a third of the people. Turtles will be as easy to break here as they are there assuming they actually do end up adding fog of war.

Shanick92

08-07-2011

It should be more like warding and patrolling

Conncept

08-07-2011

Ive seen two heavy AD characters and a support stave off a five man team in summoner's rift without the support of a tower, I'm sure the same can happen in Dominion. LoL PVP doesn't operate in any way similar to WoW PVP, dynamic leveling makes the meta completely different. Two characters with a 1 or 2 level advantage and a good support (sona, soraka, taric) can almost indefinitely stave off a five man team.

Magma Armor0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connartillery View Post
Ive seen two heavy AD characters and a support stave off a five man team in summoner's rift without the support of a tower, I'm sure the same can happen in Dominion. LoL PVP doesn't operate in any way similar to WoW PVP, dynamic leveling makes the meta completely different. Two characters with a 1 or 2 level advantage and a good support (sona, soraka, taric) can almost indefinitely stave off a five man team.
with 10% bonus armor pen, 5% bonus magic pen, and 20% reduced healing, I highly doubt this will happen in Dominion.

Conncept

08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
with 10% bonus armor pen, 5% bonus magic pen, and 20% reduced healing, I highly doubt this will happen in Dominion.
The items are going to be different in the new map. If they remove all defensive items, yeah this won't be a problem because people won't be able to build tanky, but personally I think thats kind of a juvenile way to fix the problem. And the only way they can keep Taric, Sona, and Soraka down is by removing AP items, which would not only nullify their heal-spam but every mage in the game.

All in all, they can fix these problems by changing the items, but I don't know how they are going to do that without favoring certain characters over others.

Magma Armor0

08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connartillery View Post
The items are going to be different in the new map. If they remove all defensive items, yeah this won't be a problem because people won't be able to build tanky, but personally I think thats kind of a juvenile way to fix the problem. And the only way they can keep Taric, Sona, and Soraka down is by removing AP items, which would not only nullify their heal-spam but every mage in the game.

All in all, they can fix these problems by changing the items, but I don't know how they are going to do that without favoring certain characters over others.
the effects I listed are non-item related. it's a permanent aura that affects ALL champions in dominion.

Geremiah

08-07-2011

As for holding points, i guess there will be 3 "hold" champs such as heimer, Yoirck, nunu, etc who can stay still, sustain, and hold a point well. The other 2 teammates will be "patrollers" i guess, (kassadin, Yi, trynd) who can get anywhere fast and help out.

Just my opinion, but that's the team comp i'd like to go into dominion with

Conncept

08-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
the effects I listed are non-item related. it's a permanent aura that affects ALL champions in dominion.
Really? Interesting, I hadn't heard of that before-- thanks for the info.