Katarina Build Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donovan

05-05-2010

I've played Kat for quite some time but I'm trying to optimize a build now that she's a lot more viable.

What I've been running is as followed:

Doran's Shield
Boots >> Sorc boots (later)
Phage or SoTO
whichever I didn't get before
B.F sword > bloodthirster/infinity edge depending on if it's a game I can keep stacks

I run a book of
Marks: Magic Pen
Seals: Hp/LvL
Glyphs: flat cooldown reduction
Quints: Flat HP

For masteries I've been doing 11/0/19 for cooldown reduction and magic pen.

Any comments would be wonderful to help get my build optimized, thanks in advance

Eppa

05-05-2010

Try 2 bf sword instead of IE.
Why phage?

I know takashix does a 9/21/0 build have you tried that?

Donovan

05-05-2010

I could try that, I used to do something similar, was just playing around with the cool down reduction masteries.

Yes I usually get 2 BF swords before I upgrade anything I should have mentioned that, phage is for the extra hp+slow proc is now

edit: I suppose if I went defense masteries and dropped phage in the beginning I could get more damage output from

Doran's shield
Boots
SoTO
BF sword
Sorc Boots

peyo

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherslash View Post
I could try that, I used to do something similar, was just playing around with the cool down reduction masteries.

Yes I usually get 2 BF swords before I upgrade anything I should have mentioned that, phage is for the extra hp+slow proc is now

edit: I suppose if I went defense masteries and dropped phage in the beginning I could get more damage output from

Doran's shield
Boots
SoTO
BF sword
Sorc Boots
that's close to what I build:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=93653

For slow, Rylai is much better

Nateku

05-05-2010

Doran's + 1 HP pot
Sorc Boots
Leviathan
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword
Sell Doran's, buy last whisper

Spend the last part of the game upgrading your BF swords into BTs.

Sounds weird, but it's been working for me a lot in recent games.

peyo

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateku View Post
Doran's + 1 HP pot
Sorc Boots
Leviathan
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword

what's the point of Last Whisper?

Donovan

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateku View Post
Doran's + 1 HP pot
Sorc Boots
Leviathan
BF Sword
BF Sword
BF Sword

Sounds like that build would take even longer to start doing damage than mine

Eppa

05-05-2010

Haunting guise is a cheap mrpen even if the ap is kinda wasted.

Furykicker

05-05-2010

Hey all,

Katarina is my main and so ive tried many builds with her.

Here's what i used as of right now that has been very sucessful for me but it requires you to get a couple early kills before 15min into the game.

1st get : Amplifying Tomb + 1 hp pot
2nd get: boots of speed once you recall or get an early kill
3rd get : Blasting Ward and go ahead and build straight for Rylai's Scepter.
4th get : Sorc Boots (depending on your enemies you may wanna get Merc Treads instead.)

Ok so at this point in the game you have Rylai's Scepter and Sorc Boots (or whatever you feel comfertable with) From this point on you must play very smart and only solo champs that you know you can beat. I personally use ignite and ghost to help me solo champs early on in the game. This works best IMO. Rylai's Scpeter is an amazing item for katarina b/c it works off of all of her abilities trust me when i say this, your teammates will thank you b/c of this. It also allows you to really get the most dmg off your ULT durin early game.

Ok so once you've saved up to about 1850 go ahead and grab a BF Sword... and save again for your 2nd one.

Your gonna wanna end up with 3 BF swords before upgrading them to Blood Thirster's. I typically like to go straight for Zhonya's ring so she has even more punch for her shunpo ability which is very important for nuke dmg... my opinion is if you dont build her hybrid AP and AD then you wont get the full potential out of her. If you go straight for AD and ignore AP then your shunpo isnt gonna do jack and will be basically useless.

So since the change her ultimate now does 55% of your current AD... katarina's AD scales way better than her AP so therefor thats why we are gonna use 3 Blood Thirsters. Your dmg will be more than enough to nuke down players in team battles and if you play your cards right you can get many multi kills with this build while maintaining health from your 45% Life steal.

This isnt a perfect build but i feel like it really compliments Katarina and makes her overall very strong.

Personally the slowing effect off of rylai's scepter is her most important item... and therefor thats why i get it first so you can get used to how much the slow works and what not. Jumping in between 2 players and hitting your ULT will make them SHlT their pants and panic and most likely try to run away while your still doin dmg to both of them at this point in the game... you can easily finish them both off with no sweat.

So let's review real quick. You wanna end your game like this.

Sorc Boots ( or whatever boots you decide )
Rylai's Scepter
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Zhonya's Ring

I hope this helps you guys, this was my first post on the forums and hopefully it came out ok and understandable.

Quick note to say if the game is lasting a very long time and it has turned into just a team battle every time you engage the enemy then it may be wise to drop your boots completely and grab another Bloodthirster. This can be very risky but if done right you'll be a monster with team fights and will still have decent mobility with shunpo and if you also use Ghost. Use at your own precaution though

Donovan

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furykicker View Post
Hey all,

Katarina is my main and so ive tried many builds with her.

Here's what i used as of right now that has been very sucessful for me but it requires you to get a couple early kills before 15min into the game.

1st get : Amplifying Tomb + 1 hp pot
2nd get: boots of speed once you recall or get an early kill
3rd get : Blasting Ward and go ahead and build straight for Rylai's Scepter.
4th get : Sorc Boots (depending on your enemies you may wanna get Merc Treads instead.)

Ok so at this point in the game you have Rylai's Scepter and Sorc Boots (or whatever you feel comfertable with) From this point on you must play very smart and only solo champs that you know you can beat. I personally use ignite and ghost to help me solo champs early on in the game. This works best IMO. Rylai's Scpeter is an amazing item for katarina b/c it works off of all of her abilities trust me when i say this, your teammates will thank you b/c of this. It also allows you to really get the most dmg off your ULT durin early game.

Ok so once you've saved up to about 1850 go ahead and grab a BF Sword... and save again for your 2nd one.

Your gonna wanna end up with 3 BF swords before upgrading them to Blood Thirster's. I typically like to go straight for Zhonya's ring so she has even more punch for her shunpo ability which is very important for nuke dmg... my opinion is if you dont build her hybrid AP and AD then you wont get the full potential out of her. If you go straight for AD and ignore AP then your shunpo isnt gonna do jack and will be basically useless.

So since the change her ultimate now does 55% of your current AD... katarina's AD scales way better than her AP so therefor thats why we are gonna use 3 Blood Thirsters. Your dmg will be more than enough to nuke down players in team battles and if you play your cards right you can get many multi kills with this build while maintaining health from your 45% Life steal.

This isnt a perfect build but i feel like it really compliments Katarina and makes her overall very strong.

Personally the slowing effect off of rylai's scepter is her most important item... and therefor thats why i get it first so you can get used to how much the slow works and what not. Jumping in between 2 players and hitting your ULT will make them SHlT their pants and panic and most likely try to run away while your still doin dmg to both of them at this point in the game... you can easily finish them both off with no sweat.

So let's review real quick. You wanna end your game like this.

Sorc Boots ( or whatever boots you decide )
Rylai's Scepter
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Zhonya's Ring

I hope this helps you guys, this was my first post on the forums and hopefully it came out ok and understandable.

Quick note to say if the game is lasting a very long time and it has turned into just a team battle every time you engage the enemy then it may be wise to drop your boots completely and grab another Bloodthirster. This can be very risky but if done right you'll be a monster with team fights and will still have decent mobility with shunpo and if you also use Ghost. Use at your own precaution though

Um what.... *head asploads* bloodthirsters and zhonya's.... thats just... wow