Building an AP Ezreal who can survive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

J0ko

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmage View Post
If your problem is survivability, the one spell you absolutely must have is cleanse. I have a difficult time not taking it on almost every champ because it is so useful against any sort of match up.

@poster who said Lich Bane is not worth a slot: With a lich bane, you have 3 short-cooldown nukes instead of 2. With yet another way to channel all that AP you should have from a soulstealer, you should never skip out on a Lich Bane.
I guess it can be viable in some situations. Maybe I'll take another look at it. Either way, getting an early sheen just because you're getting lich bane late game is a bad idea in my opinion. You would be better off with a tear for more mana to get more out of the archangel's passive.

Morinav

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystream92 View Post
Summoner skills make no sense.
What else are you going to take?

Rally - No.
Teleport - Eh, it's kind of useful, but there are better choices.
Heal - No.
Clarity - Really solid early game, but you can live without it. Loses effectiveness late game. Once you pick up a chalice mana's not as big of a problem.
Flash - Double flashing is great, but the cooldown's really long. Two flashes aren't always enough to save you.
Ignite - Not bad for some extra burst and scoring an early game kill, but I don't have any problem getting kills and assists without it.
Fortify - No.
Exhaust - Pretty good, especially for AD Ezreal who is actually at risk of auto-attack, but I usually roll AP Ezreal.
Cleanse - Great skill, sometimes I wish I had it, but I feel that Ghost + Clairvoyance saves me more often. The difference is that Cleanse is not super useful in every game I play, Ghost + Clairvoyance is.

Which leaves us with

Ghost - Lower CD than flash, so you can use it more often. Very long duration. Exceedingly useful during team fights as it makes Ezreal impossible to catch and lets him position easier. Can be used to get back into a fight faster in a pinch. Useful at every stage of the game. Very useful for escaping ganks, unless you're taken completely by surprise. Which is why you take...

Clairvoyance - Foils lots of gank attempts. Ridiculously low cooldown. Can be used to help your teammates as well. Strong for premades where you can communicate on vent. Helps you spot people hiding behind walls/in bushes and skillshot them. Can be used to spot at short range for his ult where juking's hard to do, especially if you rim-spot. Foils a lot of dangerous champs like Fiddle and Bliztcrank. Useful all game. Synergizes well with Ghost. 3 second warning on a gank + ghost + arcane shift = Impossible to catch.

Some of Ezreal's biggest weaknesses are being slow and being mega squishy. If he's caught off guard, he's dead. Best way to survive a gank is to never be there.

YellowSnowsicle

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
What else are you going to take?

Rally - No.
Teleport - Eh, it's kind of useful, but there are better choices.
Heal - No.
Clarity - Really solid early game, but you can live without it. Loses effectiveness late game. Once you pick up a chalice mana's not as big of a problem.
Flash - Double flashing is great, but the cooldown's really long. Two flashes aren't always enough to save you.
Ignite - Not bad for some extra burst and scoring an early game kill, but I don't have any problem getting kills and assists without it.
Fortify - No.
Exhaust - Pretty good, especially for AD Ezreal who is actually at risk of auto-attack, but I usually roll AP Ezreal.
Cleanse - Great skill, sometimes I wish I had it, but I feel that Ghost + Clairvoyance saves me more often. The difference is that Cleanse is not super useful in every game I play, Ghost + Clairvoyance is.

Which leaves us with

Ghost - Lower CD than flash, so you can use it more often. Very long duration. Exceedingly useful during team fights as it makes Ezreal impossible to catch and lets him position easier. Can be used to get back into a fight faster in a pinch. Useful at every stage of the game. Very useful for escaping ganks, unless you're taken completely by surprise. Which is why you take...

Clairvoyance - Foils lots of gank attempts. Ridiculously low cooldown. Can be used to help your teammates as well. Strong for premades where you can communicate on vent. Helps you spot people hiding behind walls/in bushes and skillshot them. Can be used to spot at short range for his ult where juking's hard to do, especially if you rim-spot. Foils a lot of dangerous champs like Fiddle and Bliztcrank. Useful all game. Synergizes well with Ghost. 3 second warning on a gank + ghost + arcane shift = Impossible to catch.

Some of Ezreal's biggest weaknesses are being slow and being mega squishy. If he's caught off guard, he's dead. Best way to survive a gank is to never be there.
Hehe actually the summoner skills aren't bad.

I prefer:

1. Cleanse
2. Clarity.

Exactly the other two you picked out as great. The reason is that ezreal can really only die easily when cc'd. Cleanse will take care of that. I take clarity because I tend to play AP/support, not pure AP. I focus on spamming heals/mystic with locket, which allows me to keep both my team's hp AND mana topped off for nonstop pushes. I run out though, and I can't be wasting money on a chalice.

Poknok

05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystream92 View Post
Hehe actually the summoner skills aren't bad.

I prefer:

1. Cleanse
2. Clarity.

Exactly the other two you picked out as great. The reason is that ezreal can really only die easily when cc'd. Cleanse will take care of that. I take clarity because I tend to play AP/support, not pure AP. I focus on spamming heals/mystic with locket, which allows me to keep both my team's hp AND mana topped off for nonstop pushes. I run out though, and I can't be wasting money on a chalice.
This was the advice I got as a new Ez player, and it worked, even though I'm heavier DPS and less support.

RamboBatman

05-05-2010

Innervating Locket. I've been messing around with all sorts of Ez builds. I've done straight AD to make an effective ranged dps. I've pumped out a variety of AP builds with varying degrees of success but overall, a support build with Innervating Locket is by far my favorite. Locket solves all of your early and mid game mana and health regen issues. Build catalyst asap and you've got the laning phase covered. It gives you the health and mana regen you need in order to stay in your lane until you've got plenty of gold to finish the Locket. Once you've got it finished you should have no problems casting a spell every 3 secs to keep both your and your teamates health and mana up while you push down towers.

However, Locket isn't perfect for every game. I really like to have both a Tristana (or equivalent) and an Annie (or equivalent) on my team because it allows me to play support without feeling like I'm gimping my team on damage. A Locket build just doesn't end up with as much damage output as a straight AP build but it does make Ez the best healer in the game.

Usually I like to end up with something like Locket, BoS, Rageblade, Triforce. Obviously its more of a hybrid support build than AP but, after a bunch of testing I've found it to be one of the most effective builds I've tried. For summoner spells I usually go with Teleport and X. Teleport is good for all sorts of things among them, picking up catalyst asap without missing out on xp and ashe-style ult/port combos. X has been many things, among them flash, ghost, clarity, ignite. Flash used to be my go-to but I've been leaning away from it recently and just dedicated myself to paying closer attention to distance instead of relying on it to save me when I f-up. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to give clairvoyance a try in this slot.

Sinnie

05-06-2010

Read through all the posts...

Summoner skills:

Clairty is a must (everyone agrees)
I prefer flash over ghost, and I want to try cleanse (this build has more hp than the one I used when I had flash, so losing flash may be counteracted by the extra hp)

Runes:

No comments apart from maybe using dodge runes.
Any other thoughts?

Masteries:

Any thoughts on me not taking the clarity mastery in favour of others?

Build:

A lot of people say that you should take sheen as your first item, but I'm not planning on getting Lichbane till later on. Is it better if I don't get sheen at the start - that gold saved allows me to upgrade to sorc boots instantly and leaves 400 gold to get everything earlier - Especially RoA

RoA Vs Rylai's - RoA gives more hp, mana and the same AP. Ryla's gives a slow and instant hp and AP. I'm looking for the item that gives the best survivability and I think that is RoA - plus it's cheaper!

Innervating Locket - It's expensive, provides less hp and mana and no AP. The mana regen is not that astounding imo. Does the passive add hp/mp to you as well?

MP/5 - With no items I'd get 46.4 MP/5 - is this enough? Or should I slip a cheap mana regen item in at the start?

Fiendish codex - the 10% CDR is needed and the MP/5 and AP would be good. BUT. Where to get it? Any time before Lichbane just delays items that are more needed and provide more. But, after Lichbane delays Zhonya's and will only occur very late game or in long games - at which point it's bonuses are probably pointless.

Any more comments?

Morinav

05-06-2010

For runes I'm using flat HP quints, magic pen reds, mana regen/level everything else.

Typically my item build (I don't actually run Locket often) is as follows.

Meki + 2 HP pots
Rush Chalice of Harmony
Get level 1 boots
Get Mejai's
Finish Sorc's Shoes
Get Haunting Guise
Zhonya's
Lichbane

I find the magic pen on haunting guise to be more worth it than stacking additional AP, especially for the price. Most games I don't even end up getting Lichbane, but it's cool. Most of my damage is coming from W, E and R, the Q is overkill when I finally get a Lichbane.

RoA is great, but expensive.
Rylai's is great, but expensive.

Used to, I would rush fiendish codex and build deathfire's. While it's still a good item, I'm more comfortable with my build now. Unfortunately, I feel Codex just doesn't give you enough offensive power early game.

Kinney

05-06-2010

If you're having survivability problems with Ezreal, seriously, just get Leviathan. He can stack it absurdly fast.

Eppa

05-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
Waiting that long for boots 2 seems like a bad idea.
Boots 2 are kind of late but unless your chasing/running away a lot you will get away with boots1

Jamie Fawley

05-06-2010

Ez needs no survivality items, Either your stunned/owned or your in the back ready to teleport/run away. Cleanse is the only survivability skill or silversilk sash, trying to prevent any damage from destroying ez is a waste of money.