Add a third team to Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Badseed

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think this would make the game really uncompetitive. 1v1v1 games become more about social engineering and opportunistic backstabbing that solid teamwork and skilled PvP play.

I see your point that it wouldn't be necessarily the best mode for a tournament style of play and high end competition.

But a lot of us just play this game because its fun and I think this scenario screams that.

The battles have the potential to be even more epic now especially when you end up with a last man standing from the surviving team.

And more opportunities for all the goofy stuff that happens when theres so many champion abilities being used at the same time like with teleports and blitz grabs or urgots position change with all kinds of hilarious outcomes.

Twitch Any Lane

08-06-2011

another fun idea would be FFA drop everyone in a closed area like a arena at a certain lvl, certain gold amount, give everyone enough time to buy items then let the battle comence, maybe add traps that automaticly go off, or activate when a player hits a switch, games would probally be really short, but fun as hell

Kraxik

08-06-2011

I always thought it would be fun to have a 5v5v5 where the teams all started out in there area, and each team tried to fight for the single control point in the center. It'd be a tad hectic though. Pretty much a glorified "King of the Hill" Type mode :P

Yakri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
Chaos is fun.

Extra chaos is extra-fun.

Demacia also needs to be nuked.

Yes, multi-team games must be tossed onto that huge "to-do" list over at Riot! xD
You shall pay for that!

Pyrozen

08-06-2011

how about uncertain alliances...

i mean, there is a guy annoying the hell of everyone in chat, so 2 teams agree to get together and beat the hell outta him and his team!

there third team eliminated...

Mitosis

08-06-2011

I prefer milk chocolate.

Scratch that, I prefer it when caramel is involved.

Izeo

08-06-2011

Quote:
I think this would make the game really uncompetitive. 1v1v1 games become more about social engineering and opportunistic backstabbing that solid teamwork and skilled PvP play.
Worked just fine in DAoC >=D Now granted, definitely some of what you talked about going on, but usually it was plenty competitive and it wasn't so much opportunistic backstabbing as it was... opportunistic cleaning up / "AJing" as we called it (ass jamming, when the third faction comes in from behind you causing you to be in the middle of a sammich). But two major differences made it work differently:

1) DAoC didn't let you talk to the enemy factions, so there wasn't so much room for "Social engineering." It would happen from time to time (let's say one person saves you when you're getting 2v1'd and they don't kill you afterwards just out of kindness of not taking the cheap kill, kind of like when you see someone D/C'd in LoL and you don't take the easy kill just to be considerate)

2) There was long-lasting AoE CC, so if you were aware enough (no radar in the game, but just visually aware, panning constantly) you could actually react and nullify the entire group that was about to AJ you and kill them after the original fight ends if you balanced CC and heals well enough

3) The game was control-point oriented -- each fortress took a lot of time and effort to take, and if one faction blew a hole in the wall that meant all 3 factions could enter through it (of course, 1 of the factions owned the place. But having 2 factions both wanting to funnel through a hole meant a lot of fighting each other while both are also fighting the defending faction from inside the courtyard and on their castle walls).

4) In DAoC, with the system of in-combat resurrecting, extremely strong heals (and extremely strong damage and line-of-sight requirements which both countered the strong heals) the winner of a fight would generally have their entire party all alive and full health by the end of the fight, so there wasn't a point in some other team just sitting around and watching the fight and cleaning up when it's over like there could be in LoL if we're talking some triangular version of Summoner's Rift

All-in-all, I can see why you say it wouldn't be competitive, but I think most of that comes from the Summoner's Rift mentality (that a main goal is to kill all the enemies so you're safe to do whatever you want to win the game), but I think in the Dominion perspective, where control-points are supposed to matter much more than kills and the fights are small enough that winners of fights are likely able to keep fully sustained (either self-sustainers or having a support in the duo/trio), I think the idea is worth venturing into! Judging from the spawn system of Crystal Scar it actually looks like it'd be pretty easy to implement, especially if you wanted it to just be a Normal/Custom game mode, not Ranked where that social interaction could ruin things

(But honestly, if people weren't as driven as they are to win, that social interaction would already be taking place now. That opportunistic backstabbing could already occur, and does when people believe the "guys just all push mid we won't fight back" and then they... well, fight back.)

That or you could just take away /all chat for that mode and maybe even take every non-aggressive emotion out (anything to try and show companionship) and let's see Blue, Purple, and RED fighting each other over control points some day :P

tl;dr: Tbh I've never really liked dark chocolate. I'm more of a milk chocolate kind of guy I guess, but really I know of no chocolate that beats white chocolate, even if it really just tastes mostly like milk chocolate but you feel like you're somehow eating rare chocolate just because it's color defies that which makes chocolate easily recognizable.

edit: Just realized this wasn't even the thread that got it's topic changed to chocolate. Poster above me playing mind games D:

Volpi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2011

Drooled a bit from the thought of 3 teams...

hawkraider

08-07-2011

Quote:
the 1v1v1 was already determined to be a bad idea

but for what reason do you dislike 3v3v3 this basically turns the backstabbing into even more crazy strategy that only ever happens in lol

SilentKalel

08-07-2011

4v4v4 would be awesome... riot for real not imediatly but eventually you should do this...
start with the warcraft 3 triwars maps for a good idea on how to make the first multi team map eventually, then go into other game types with that as well if it works out...

also as far as cross team talk goes... ya it can be a factor but at least the 3rd guy knows i mean you have team and all, you cant just talk to one enemy team without warning the other at the same time