Riot what is your goal with Dominion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RealistFreak

08-07-2011

^^^^

I give you props for explaining that. The term Resources can be used for many things and can be confusing to get a hold of. What you said is the most likely explanation. XP

SteelerKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2011

Star Wars battlefront also used this game concept. It is so much fun in multiplayer.

Spicy McChicken

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I guess I don't understand why Capture and Hold is considered casual. Battlefield 2 had a pretty strong 8v8 game community and was competitive Capture and Hold, just to name one example. Personally, I think this game mode has some of the largest potential for the goal I believe all games should have - easy to understand at a basic level, with a lot of room for mastery.
Well, this isn't Battlefield 2, this is League of Legends! The way to play is going to be remarkably different, and likely going to be considered "casual" compared to usual gameplay.

Blackboxx

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I guess I don't understand why Capture and Hold is considered casual. Battlefield 2 had a pretty strong 8v8 game community and was competitive Capture and Hold, just to name one example. Personally, I think this game mode has some of the largest potential for the goal I believe all games should have - easy to understand at a basic level, with a lot of room for mastery.
I don't think people equate "new" with "non-competitive". That would be due to the balance concerns. When something is unbalanced, it tends to repel competitive players, leaving the population more skewed towards non-competitive players. Simply put, there are many reasons to fear the balance of this mode which causes people to assume it will be a "casuals only" affair.

First off, the focus on getting around the map will put highly mobile characters at a huge advantage. Who is going to pick Morgana when they could play Singed or Irelia? They may have completely different play styles, but the latter two will be better at getting places. Unless you want Morgana to sit at the closest capture point and defend it the whole game, I see little reason for anyone to play her (and other low move speed characters with no means to increase beyond items). Even then, that's boring for Morgana and co..

Second, it sounds like it will be heavily tilted in favor of tanky characters. With everyone moving around so much, team fights will be rare. There will be many more small skirmishes instead. Fewer characters to worry about on a regular basis makes survivability that much more powerful. You just don't need to build to survive against five players focusing you. Planning on three at most will likely serve you just fine. Those saved item slots can now be used for offense. Congratulations! Tanky DPS is once again the way to win!

Third, I'm personally worried about IP gains. It's already a slow process for me to get anything I would like using IP (I'm a super casual player who just hit 30 after about ten months of play). A mode where the average game time is only 20 minutes will not be yielding much IP, win or lose. I understand that I can play more games in the same amount of time, but that isn't how I play. I can only play two days per week thanks to an unreliable internet connection at home (I visit a friend who has a far superior connection on my two days off). After a particularly aggravating defeat, I have to put the game down for a while, possibly never to return that day. If I'm only going to play one or two games a day, I'd rather they be longer games with more rewards attached. I mention this speaking only for myself. I have yet to see anyone else express concern for the IP gain. There is a thread asking about it, but it didn't give me a sense that people were worried, just curious.

Now, I have never played Battlefield or Call of Duty or anything like that. First person shooters are not my style. I don't know much about how their systems work, but from what I hear, everyone gets access to the same weapons, the same armor, and the same health. Depending on the game, they can customize themselves in some way, but nowhere near the level that one could in LoL. The mode is more balanced simply because everyone is on much more even footing.

Again, I want to point out that I don't know any of the fine details of any of the mainstream FPS games on the market today. Beyond "point at something you don't like, and press this button until it disappears", I can't tell you how these games work on an individual basis. Please, feel free to correct anything I may be mistaken about.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know that some new content is finally on the way (I'm still miffed that there was so much hype that sounded like stuff was actually happening that week, when it turned out to be another "soon" announcement). I will definitely give it a shot. I just don't know if this is what the game needs right now. Why make that level 700 raid dungeon for a blockbuster MMO when the game still doesn't have guild functionality two years into its life cycle (HINT HINT REPLAYS AND OBSERVER MODES PLOX HINT HINT )?

Captain Bumbler

08-09-2011

I'm to lazy to read the posts, but from what I understand they're doing a pretty cool thing with dominion. They're giving people the map they asked for, and being innovative to the MOBA genre.