Riot what is your goal with Dominion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-06-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerAlone View Post
While I agree with you, I'm also hesitant knowing that there is no ranked play for this. Do you guys intend to implement ranked play for Dominion in the future?
As far as I know, absolutely. It's mostly some resources that would hold the mode's release back.

Bomb in lasagna

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I guess I don't understand why Capture and Hold is considered casual. Battlefield 2 had a pretty strong 8v8 game community and was competitive Capture and Hold, just to name one example. Personally, I think this game mode has some of the largest potential for the goal I believe all games should have - easy to understand at a basic level, with a lot of room for mastery.
People think that because the game type is different than our classic mode it's for casuals. Even though some of the most competitive games, like Battlefield as you said has a capture and hold game type that is extremely competitive.

Bomb in lasagna

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerAlone View Post
While I agree with you, I'm also hesitant knowing that there is no ranked play for this. Do you guys intend to implement ranked play for Dominion in the future?
They are probably waiting until this new game mode is out for a while to implement ranking and ladders. Think about it. Why would they have ranked right from the start with something completely new. Everyone would be new to the game and not really know how to play so the rankings would probably not be represented in the best way. Wait until the game mode is out, people have gotten some practice with it and THEN implement it into ranked play.

LethalityVoX

08-06-2011

Quote:
As far as I know, absolutely. It's mostly some resources that would hold the mode's release back.
OK forgive my bluntness, but every time I feel like I'm getting hand-waved that phrase comes up; "resources." What does that even mean?

That aside, is it safe to assume that ranked Dominion is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when?" Launch of Season 2 perhaps, seeing as Dominion goes live in the preseason?

Thanks for taking the time to interact with your fans, NMST.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-06-2011
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalityVoX View Post
OK every time I feel like I'm getting hand-waved that phrase comes up; "resources." What does that even mean?

That aside, is it safe to assume that ranked Dominion is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when?" Launch of Season 2 perhaps, seeing as Dominion goes live in the preseason?
Brackhar knows this better than I, but we're not holding it back because "we don't want competitive play." That's silly :P

LethalityVoX

08-06-2011

Quote:
Brackhar knows this better than I, but we're not holding it back because "we don't want competitive play." That's silly :P
OK, good. Personally I'm really excited about the map/mode's aggressive right out of the gate play style and I'd be really disappointed if ranked play was put off for a long time.

Mostly because you say you're "revolting" against the paradigm of what a MobA can be; not having a ranked version of your pioneer mode is essentially doing just the opposite of that, you're not revolting, your saying "yeah this is a diversion, if it's not farming in lane for 20 minutes and punishing the slightest sign of aggression, it's not MobA."

Does that make sense?

RBomb19

08-06-2011

Quote:
I am also curious what exactly you mean by resources.

Is it pylons? Because I'm sure we can build you more pylons.

IS17f8587dd251c04bf0cdb

08-07-2011

Thanks Morello for your answers, i'm a bit relieved now knowing that you want Dominion to be also competitive.

hawkraider

08-07-2011

Quote:
you ignored the first part of that question

can you answer it now?

IBurn36360

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2011

Resources is more along the lines of server capability (and don't forget compatibility), management to keep an eye on the system (assuming it is going to be relatively isolated from the classic game mode on a physical base [and yes that is a pretty big assumption]), as well as the manpower (and woman power) to launch and maintain the environment for the mode itself. The entire logistics of a mode launch are a little daunting to even a company, and it will take time to make sure that the game mode is balanced enough for ranked play. Give them some time, and I can guarantee you that Dominion will see some serious competitive (ranked) play.

-Anthony 'IBurn36360'