Treeline-Like Meta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kiddalee

08-05-2011

How will Riot prevent Dominion's meta from being tanky DPS focused?

Ways that Dominion seems similar to Treeline:

Potentially shorter games
Greater emphasis on mobility and ganks
Smaller teamfights (from trying to control several points at once)
Even more jungle space

Ways that Dominion seems different from Treeline:

Larger map and longer travel times between points? Though I don't know the map size yet.
Slightly different item list
Easier for a squishy to split-capture on Dominion than to split-push on Treeline?
Nothing stops minions but players and other minions

You can reassure me by explaining the points on the "different" list to show how balanced team compositions will be better than an entire team of 1v1ers.

Zeta

08-05-2011

Much fewer armor and magic resist items. Significantly less, even.

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2011

how is it gonna be similar to treeline in meta since u've gotta defend ur capture point over pushing and destroying turrets don't u? meaning rather then tanky dps it'll be champs who can shelter and keep a location like say heimer and teemo's shroom army that'll come out best.

Timechild

08-06-2011

The reason TT is tanky focused is because it's 3v3.
This mean less total damage than 5v5. This is the reason tanky teams flourish, because they can't be killed. Also, there are too many walls and champions like poppy, xin, jax, trynda and renekton have great advantage. From what I've seen SC has a lot more open space, despite it's size, and it's 5v5, which means raw damage is gonna get valuable again vs tankyness. I believe the balance issues are gonna come from mobility abilities, not from a certain champion type.

BadgerBarrage

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timechild View Post
The reason TT is tanky focused is because it's 3v3.
This mean less total damage than 5v5. This is the reason tanky teams flourish, because they can't be killed. Also, there are too many walls and champions like poppy, xin, jax, trynda and renekton have great advantage. From what I've seen SC has a lot more open space, despite it's size, and it's 5v5, which means raw damage is gonna get valuable again vs tankyness. I believe the balance issues are gonna come from mobility abilities, not from a certain champion type.
I agree about the open space, but given the smaller teamfights and roaming, I'd still expect some of the tanky problems from TT. I do believe the global arpen/mpen buff will go a ways to countering some of that though.

LordEdge19

08-06-2011

The reason why TT is so focused on tanky character is because of the size of the map. Since the map is incredibly small team can afford to roam very early and tanky dps dominate the early game. I cant see a gamemode how's objective is to control MULTIPLE point to allow any kind of roaming. If anything, expect character with really good poke or great sustain to be very strong (Ez, Soraka, Mundo, Caitlyn...)

BadgerBarrage

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEdge19 View Post
The reason why TT is so focused on tanky character is because of the size of the map. Since the map is incredibly small team can afford to roam very early and tanky dps dominate the early game. I cant see a gamemode how's objective is to control MULTIPLE point to allow any kind of roaming. If anything, expect character with really good poke or great sustain to be very strong (Ez, Soraka, Mundo, Caitlyn...)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd expect roaming single champs or groups of 2 to be most effective. If the enemy groups up larger than that then the other team can just split up and capture anywhere the mob isn't.

Two pairs and a single would give a lot more flexibility while still giving the roaming groups some modicum of safety if attacked. With multiple smaller groups you're also going to be able to provide better buff control.

HatLlama

08-06-2011

The meta will be the same in that sooner or later only a fraction of the champion pool will be a viable pick on that map.

Hotdogs

08-06-2011

i thought you would get the heal/poking meta
the game is like a massive tower siege for the whole game like aram if you ever played that
it depends on the strength of the npcs/static defense though, in aram the tower is too strong

BadgerBarrage

08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdogs View Post
i thought you would get the heal/poking meta
the game is like a massive tower siege for the whole game like aram if you ever played that
it depends on the strength of the npcs/static defense though, in aram the tower is too strong
The difference is that in ARAM there is only one lane, there is nowhere else you can be. Everyone has to take down the opposing turrets in order. In Dominion, if the point is too well defended, you can take a different one. That or wait for one of the defenders to have to retake one of your points.

I think the turrets are supposed to be weaker in this mode btw.