All Crit Damage runes or Mixture of Crit damage and Armor Pen??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RokPaprBazooka

05-04-2010

I hear this discussion quite a bit. Like to hear your opinions on it.

For Shaco, is it better to go all crit damage or all armor pen, or mixture of crit damage and armor pen (if you prefer this rune set up, what is the ratio between crit damage and armor pen you have set up)

Again, lets narrow the discussion to Shaco. Lets also try not to blindly stick to an opinion, but provide concrete proof to back up each statement (some mathematical statistics would be nice)

EDIT: Changed the focus to Shaco. I am most curious about his rune set up

Vienna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2010

Shaco should get Armor Pen runes, surprisingly enough. I think GP might go for the Crit, but I'm not extremely familiar with him.

I'm pretty sure I saw xiaobing rocking the APen as Shaco and Elementz or someone with a full Crit page as Pirate.

Carados

05-04-2010

Armor Pen does more damage on crits.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...=70173&page=20

RokPaprBazooka

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
Shaco should get Armor Pen runes, surprisingly enough. I think GP might go for the Crit, but I'm not extremely familiar with him.

I'm pretty sure I saw xiaobing rocking the APen as Shaco and Elementz or someone with a full Crit page as Pirate.
I am guessing GP is a good shaco player. Never heard of him. Is his LoL account name GP or is that short for something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Armor Pen does more damage on crits.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...=70173&page=20
"Shaco is somewhat of an exception?"

I leafed through the pages of that thread and it seems for Shaco, the answer was inconclusive.

Vienna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2010

Xiaobing is the best Shaco player. GP meant Gangplank.

Carados

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeignFeign View Post
"Shaco is somewhat of an exception?.
I think it's inconclusive whether or not the extra 40/60/80/100/120% damage is increased by crit damage runes.

But again, read his third point.

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

05-04-2010

Quote:
"Shaco is somewhat of an exception?"

I leafed through the pages of that thread and it seems for Shaco, the answer was inconclusive.
The answer for Shaco is that: If you're relying on 100% of your physical damage to come from critical hits, then critical damage is marginally better under certain circumstances and marginally worse under certain circumstances.

If the target is in the "middle zone" (base armor + doran's shield or madred's bloodrazor), armor pen is better (brutalizer and last whisper are then recommended to keep up with their amor). If the target has particularly high or particularly low armor (such that you have more armor pen than they have armor, since armor pen cannot make the target receive bonus damage or they still have a substantial amount of armor after your armor pen is applied), crit damage will be better on a crit.

On non-crits, it's no contest.

RokPaprBazooka

05-04-2010

So if my goal is to have an early game advantage as a shaco, it seems like from what i am hearing that itd be better if i went all armor pen. Correct? Any other opinions?

aznwillyy

05-05-2010

all armor pen is gg for shaco.

1337SuperNewb

Recruiter

05-05-2010

Quote:
So if my goal is to have an early game advantage as a shaco, it seems like from what i am hearing that itd be better if i went all armor pen. Correct? Any other opinions?
It depends on your target. If you're playing against zilean, who starts with 8 armor, and you want to hit him for the most damage possible at level 1, you would go shaco and buy elixer of fortitude. Have crit damage in almost everything, just 2 so that with the 6 from the offensive tree you pierce all his armor and then hit him. It would likely hit for

[(60 base+20 elixer+3damage from masteries)2.5bonus crit damage]1.05havoc or 218 or so. But that's playing to a particular circumstance. (assuming your enemy will have a zilean)

Rammus, on the other hand, has high enough armor that none goes to waste at lvl 1 and, therefore, armor pen is the best red to have against him (on a crit)

All in all, armor pen is better 99.9% of the time.