No bone for competitive players D:

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Riot has done, they have stemmed the tide from a Dota 2 exodus, as the ONLY thing Valve is really working on in Dota 2 is making the experience good for new and casual players, the fundamental game remains the same (as in hardcore player friendly). Now the masses have an adequete reason to stick with LoL b/c they have a mode that suits their tastes to a T, so after trying Dota 2, they will have a reason to come back. There's none for competitive players, we've got nothing new other than observer mode... what? We don't have that either? K nvm.

Not saying LoL's competitive players won't come back when they want to play LoL instead of Dota because they are 2 different games, but the game is much more competitive player friendly, more so than HawN b/c Dota 2 will be popular enough to have big cash tournaments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bomb in lasagna

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Remind me again why something other than normal mode can't be competitive.

Oh because it's different that means it won't be competitive? That makes sense.

/perfectlogic
/sarcasm


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb in lasagna View Post
Remind me again why something other than normal mode can't be competitive.

Oh because it's different that means it won't be competitive? That makes sense.

/perfectlogic
/sarcasm
It is DESIGNED around casual play, ground up.

Also "quests that pop-up" raises a large red flag in my head. Hopefully that doesn't mean randomly generated quests.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerdo

Senior Member

08-05-2011

I hope they eventually push some sort of ranked play for Dominion.

They need to keep pushing the originality. I can honestly see myself playing LoL JUST for this new mode and DotA 2 for the classic DotA experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bomb in lasagna

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising View Post
It is DESIGNED around casual play, ground up.
How so?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kiddalee

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising View Post
Now the masses have an adequete reason to stick with LoL b/c they have a mode that suits their tastes to a T.
You're speaking too soon. I doubt this will feel the same as an FPS Capture Point map, but I really don't know how it is going to feel. Perhaps there is more room to be a tricky SOB here, but that isn't what I'd call non-competitive, because a player can get better at that. Edit: Tricky SOBs just kicked my ass today.

The Eurogamers article says that Riot is paying attention to its casual players in most/all of its developmental goals, but it doesn't say that this especially applies to Dominion.

Speaking of capture point maps... I have this urge to go play Scout... and Medic... at the same time...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-05-2011

If anything capture and hold gameplay will be MORE strategic than farming and pushing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bomb in lasagna

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whist View Post
If anything capture and hold gameplay will be MORE strategic than farming and pushing.
Nah man it's something new that goes against what we already know!!! That means It's made for casuals and can't be competitive!!!!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb in lasagna View Post
How so?
Um Normal mode only at launch, game mode balanced around no wards b/c noobs don't use wards anyway, "Now you can pick any champion you want! Its so Great! hur hur", score that focuses more on individual achievements rather than just focusing on how your team did as a whole in the end, quests that pop up for the WoW crowd and ppl who come here wanting an mmo, allows the less skilled players have something to do like capture points, made for people with less time to play and want faster action ie casual players, etc. etc.

Of course the argument could be given that the game has deep strategic depth, but if that's the case, Riot is underplaying it b/c all I hear them talk about is the above.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bomb in lasagna

Senior Member

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising View Post
Um Normal mode only at launch, game mode balanced around no wards b/c noobs don't use wards anyway, "Now you can pick any champion you want! Its so Great! hur hur", score that focuses more on individual achievements rather than just focusing on how your team did as a whole in the end, quests that pop up for the WoW crowd and ppl who come here wanting an mmo, allows the less skilled players have something to do like capture points, made for people with less time to play and want faster action ie casual players, etc. etc.

Of course the argument could be given that the game has deep strategic depth, but if that's the case, Riot is underplaying it b/c all I hear them talk about is the above.
Let's go through this step by step.

1. Normal mode only at launch. Sounds familiar? Oh wait that is how the classic game mode started out.
2. No wards because noobs don't use wards? Really, now you are just trolling. It's obvious that they are out due to balance for the small map.
3. I don't even know what you mean by "Now you can pick any champion you want! Its so Great! hur hur"...This doesn't mean all the champions are unlocked for you. They simply mean that all champions are able to be played in the game mode because they are all balanced for the game mode instead of locking out a champ(like they are doing for some of the items).
4. Scoring focuses more on the individual? Sorry this isn't deathmatch. This is still a team focused game mode. It's about winning as a team. At the end of the game you aren't going to say "oh well I lost but my kill death ratio was ok so I'm happy"...That same thing could be said in classic mode but you don't find people doing that. It's win or lose as a team and that is all that matters.
5. So because there will be team oriented "quests" or objectives on the map that makes it for the less skilled? Good thing there is nothing like that in the classic mode. *cough* baron/dragon *cough* wut?
6. And what exactly makes capturing points take less skill than right clicking towers?


123