To those Rioters who've played Dominion: Does it feel different or new enough?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burning Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

This may get a little lengthy before I get to my point. Bear with me. For some context, I uninstalled League of Legends for the first time last night.

Now a lot of you are expecting a QQ thread of a rage thread or something. Well I almost made one, but no one actually cares about that. So instead, I thought about why I did it. True, the wave of ****ty games I got last night didn't help. It didn't help that we lost a 5v4 that we'd been winning when it was a 5v5. But it wasn't that, really. I'll probably come back to the game eventually... but will I ever enjoy it as much as I once did?

When I joined this game for the first time (December 2009; that's right, I've been here for a while), there was this sense of wonder and excitement and energy to the game. It didn't matter if I lost or won. Well, it did, but I was okay with losing anyways, because the game itself was fun. I remember seeing Taric in the champ list and saying "Now what the hell does he do? I've never seen him in a game." I felt like I had a lot to learn and a lot to improve on. I remember when me and my brother first realized how amazingly well Amumu + Ryze did at destroying clumped teams. That was a great week. I remember everyone fumbling around with the game, just like I was. Maybe slower or faster than I did, but they fumbled just the same.

Fast forward to now. The game is more balanced than its ever been. Some of the new champs feel rehashed, but some of them feel fresh and kick-ass. I can honestly say the game is in a much better place than it was when I started.

And yet, I have less fun these days. I figured out why. There's no wonder anymore. The game isn't new anymore. The same thing happened to me with World of Warcraft - the game is still fun... it's just not the same. There's nothing left to explore in the gameplay. What results is that I feel stagnant. I'm sure I could be better, but its hard to quantify how. I could get better at last-hitting, but in the end, only 20% of games can actually be won by your own personal skill. The rest of the time, its practically a lucky draw. Those games where you feel you made a difference, or turned a win into a loss, those are great. But they aren't common enough. That's not Riot's fault, that's just how the game works.

But as a result... Well, I'm very competitive at heart. I'm competitive in all things. But playing the game nowadays - when last-hitting is so widely understood, when every team has mage-mid tank-top support/carry-bottom and a jungler without fail, when not getting a specific item on a specific champ identifies you immediately as awful - it feels like work. Winning is fun as hell. Losing sucks terribly. But the game, the game itself - I don't find the gameplay fun anymore.

I accept that is because I'm not a PvPer at heart. But I miss the newness, the freshness, the exploration and excitement and wonder and discovery and experimentation of the game when I started.

So now, I come to the point of the thread. For those Rioters who've played Dominion, how does it stack up in all this? Does it feel different enough to sate some of this thirst I have for that old new-game? Is it so different that no one will no what to do at the start, that they'll fumble and explore and discover? Will a wave of new items and metagames and strategies and level-orders actually spice things up in a way that Twisted Treeline never could?

TLDR; Just read the thread if you actually care.

MandaKK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

I completely agree with your statement of boring, I have the same issue, it is now repetitive, the only way I can keep playing is by constantly buying new champs so I can refresh the "fun buff" constantly.

Burning Rose

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaKK View Post
I completely agree with your statement of boring, I have the same issue, it is now repetitive, the only way I can keep playing is by constantly buying new champs so I can refresh the "fun buff" constantly.
"Boring" isn't quite right. The game is still exciting, still gets heart-pumping and still gets stressful. It just doesn't get fun anymore unless I'm winning, when it used to be fun just to play the game.

MandaKK

08-05-2011

Yeah well sorry if I expressed myself in a bad way, english is not my native language, but I was trying to say the same, "It doesen't get fun".

Gilvado

08-05-2011

They've stated that there's basically no laning phase, and it ends up being small scale skirmishes for the entirety of the game. It's gonna feel really different.

Burning Rose

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilvado View Post
They've stated that there's basically no laning phase, and it ends up being small scale skirmishes for the entirety of the game. It's gonna feel really different.
I can see how that would make it feel less like work and just more action and fun and whatnot. Dunno. Still curious to see if any Riot peeps want to weigh in.

hohums

Software Engineer

08-05-2011
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Rose View Post
So now, I come to the point of the thread. For those Rioters who've played Dominion, how does it stack up in all this? Does it feel different enough to sate some of this thirst I have for that old new-game? Is it so different that no one will no what to do at the start, that they'll fumble and explore and discover? Will a wave of new items and metagames and strategies and level-orders actually spice things up in a way that Twisted Treeline never could?[/B]
I strongly believe this is the case. Its the big reason Rioter's are so excited about this map. However of course once you've played it you'll be able to draw your own conclusions.

The gameplay is a very different experience from SR. There will be a lot of discover and learn, much of which I think non-rioters will discover before we do.

lolcoop

08-05-2011

I don't think boring is the right word either. Because if you look at it the way of professional gamers, it doesn't make sense. Professional gamers know every thing there is to know about the game. They can't really learn anything new, just keep practicing what they already know. When they are competing at high levels, when they win, it is amazing. When they lose, they say "wow, we just wasted 45 minutes on this. Not fun".

BreadRising

08-05-2011

Yeah, I would definitely support TT getting its own set of items/item balances. Its a great map design, but its clear that certain champs dominate while others are just useless.

OmySpy

08-05-2011

I understand how you're feeling Rose. I unfortunately have been playing a lot less lately. I love the game, and I spend a lot of time on the forums, but I'm not as excited to play as I use to be. Part of it is due to negative people in game, and part of it is that I am now Level 30, I know a lot about the game, and I'm expected to know everything about it. I'm a lot harder on myself for messing things up and for losing. Playing one game on SR that takes ~50 minutes that ends in a loss with everyone blaming each other for it and the opposing team calling us noobs makes me feel like I shouldn't have played at all. I really don't want it to be this way, and I'm hoping Dominion can help me out.