CC: Does the focus change?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silverbel

08-05-2011

(Please understand - I bring this theory forward to DISCUSS the meta, not to state absolute fact. If you disagree, don't downvote - post why you disagree. You can downvote if you hate people thinking about how to win, and what works well.)

The big team battles of Summoner's Rift practically revolve around Crowd Control. Stuns, slows and hooks were key to catching people "out of position" and initiating teamfights.

I theorize that CC might be somewhat less important in this game mode, for the following reasons.

1. According to an old battlefield rule, defending takes less mobility than attacking.

The attacker must charge and circle to find a weakpoint. Defenders only need to shift around a small circle to meet the enemy if they wish. For this reason, slows are moderately less effective. Sure if you could slow an enemy on their way to a capture point, then that's a big deal - but how do you do that? Tactical ambushes will ALWAYS be effective in warfare.

2. With somewhere between 2 and 5 conflict points at any given moment, battles are probably going to be moderately more spread out.

"Soloing" will have a different meaning - capturing a point alone will have guaranteed value to your team, especially if it is a point inside "enemy territory" and it causes your enemy to stop attacking for a time and back up to reclaim what's theirs. And CC gets progressively less and less effective as team battles get smaller - the window of advantage can't be put to as much use.

3. The terms of ranged attack and harass are now different.

Unlike a Lane, where chasing a harasser means you are moving towards an objective and blocking further aggression in that lane, the nodes of the outer ring can be approached from seemingly many angles - and since the focus is to protect the ring, over-pursuit of a harasser can cause your objective to be captured. This plays up the flexible, "stay mobile and think on your feet" style play and dampens the "group up and attack head-on" situations until a battle has become extremely one-sided.

4. It is possible to dictate the terms of engagement and permanently avoid large teamfights.
(In addition, a pitched battle will likely lead to a spread-out, "small-team" conflict.)

This was never possible in Summoner's Rift - a team of 5 players was guaranteed to take your Nexus if avoided.
In this mode, you can simply move to whichever nodes the pack-of-five is not present at. Flanking the pack and taking the other nodes, means that while you can't keep the enemy "peloton" from taking whatever they attack, they have no way to disrupt your majority control of the ring as long as you keep your cool.

The only effective response to the eventual 4-to-1 situation, is to split up into 2-5 smaller packs and attack multiple places at the same time.

Because of these different factors, I believe that conflicts will usually be smaller - between teams of 2-3 or even solo conflicts - and CC is going to matter less. The emphasis will probably be on what I call "Power Pairs" - sets of 2 characters that work really well together. These might include a Ranged and a Melee, a CC and a Burst, a Tank and a Glass Cannon.

CC will still carry importance because anything that disrupts another player's play will always carry value. But in the smaller-conflict world of Dominion, I think the importance is diminished.

Again, please don't downvote just because you disagree. The point of the thread is to discuss it. Downvote if you hate discussing it.

BadgerBarrage

08-05-2011

You bring up some good points and I have to say that in general I agree.

I think slows will be more influential than you seem to think though. A strategy could be drawing someone away from a point and hitting them with slow so they couldn't make it back in time to defend from someone else.

Magma Armor0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

lol I picture Ashe Volleying half their team so that they can't get to the other points in time

Silverbel

08-06-2011

I bump this topic.