Maokai- good build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

title says it all.

looking for a maokai build that will make me tanky as a tank and still deal JUST enough damage to pose a threat and be focused thanks guys.
i have seen this done before but i dont know what a good build will be.
i imagine:

ionion treads or Mercury treads if the enemy is CC heavy
FoN
Sunfire
FH
Rabbadons
Lichbane? (wtf?)

dunno if this will work or not but just an example of a buld that will require a lot of farming....

can someone please help me find a maokai build that will make me a tank and make me a decent Ap threat.

thanks guys

LancerXXX

08-05-2011

As Maokai I go Rod of Ages -> Mercury's Treads -> Thornmail+Quicksilver Sash+Banshee's Veil (depending on enemy team composition) -> I usually don't get this far, but Abbysal Scepter. I personally think your passive is enough in teamfights, so no FoN, and I don't like Sunfire either. If you want a Sunfire, just get another Thornmail.

Milne

08-05-2011

Rod of Ages is a really good item on Maokai, I built that and boots of speed or Merc treads first. But before rod I'll often get either a challice or Philo stone help on the mana regen part.
After that I know if I need MR or Armor. For MR I actually like to get Abyssal if my team has a good ammount of AP.
He's currently my favorite character alot of fun to lane and handy in group fights.

KnightOfTheDeath

08-05-2011

Hell no.
Philo Stone/HOG/Ability +25 items gp/5
and just buy a deathfire grasp along with a blue elixir.2 or 1 giant belt and ur done.

Enraged Pickle

08-05-2011

I don't focus him with AP because he'll just die like a pulp.
I don't start off with AP or Ar/Mr items either because he doesn't have the mana to sustain using his Seedling.
I go with Philo Stone/HoG/Upgrade Philo Stone to reduce CC if you need it then go for another Philo Stone. Afterwards is up to you. Oh, I use CDR boots.

Redenbacher

08-05-2011

Tank, with CDR and mana/mana regeneration.

Randuin's is a particularly great item on him for initiation. I usually go for a Philosopher's Stone + HoG, and then build for the situation from there.

concretebuddha

08-05-2011

My Maokai build is just the right mix of damage and survivability for me:

sorc ring (sell after you get your SR late game and you need room)
merc treads
philo stone --> late game SR
catalyst --> ROA
frozen heart and force of nature, whichever you need first
abyssal scepter OR randuin's depending if you need more MR or armor. If you know you are going a late game randuin's then get a HOG early. (Like if they have both tryndamere and ashe on their team.)

I run 9/21/0, which is why both FH and SR are in the build. I use mana regen per level runes for yellows, and the combination of a giant mana pool and both a sorc ring a philo stone means I can lane forever.

Take top lane, and start with saplings, and harass their jungler at blue. Be sure to throw saplings into every bush. (Facechecking as Maokai is terrible.)

Coach Bombay

08-05-2011

Generally speaking, I always take Meki pendant and 2 mana pots. Get sapling first. Then I go...
Chalice->boots->start on catalyst-> Merc treads->RoA.

After that, I start looking at team comp and my team. If I have a team that typically dives in and gathers, I get Aegis. If it's a gank fest, I get HoG. Philo Stone is good too. Late game, my build always varies, but excluding RoA and Merc treads...

AD team- Randuin, SFC, possibly Thornmail.
AP Team- FoN, BV, possibly Abyssal Sceptre
Mixed team, low CC- Aegis, GA, Randuin
Heavy CC- BV, QSS, SFC

All and all, the core items, imho, should be RoA and Aegis. Dump the chalice once you have a good amount of mana. Oh, and NEVER skill up your ult after 6 till you are forced. Waste of mana.

Alucard910

08-05-2011

Meki+2pots. Chalice, mercs or ninja tabi, glacial shroud/FH, aegis, abyssal, sunfire. my typical tank build lol ( except for shen =p) Chalice gets replaced with RoA or BV depending on how the enemy damage output is.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

i see the gp5 items are quite popular. if i am roaming then will they benefit me alot more?
like if i grabbed a HoG and philo stone.......