Dominion Colorblind Mode (R & G Beacons)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amariithynar

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qutse View Post
Red force vs Blue force is easily understood. Confusing seeing such a heavy handed preference for Green.
Green is the colour of health. Red is the colour of blood/damage/enemy/kill (Seeing red, anyone?). Blue is the colour of mana. Simple enough for you yet? It's been like that for EONS- Hell, even back on original Final Fantasy and similar it's like that (Or white for damage, rarely, but I will mention it so people don't go "AHA! YOU STUPID!". Note damage you deal is oft in white while damage taken (ie. by enemies) is what is listed as red, to show it was a negative modifier/enemy dealt modifier).

Hugenaught

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with the different kinds and levels of color blindness and the stats associated with them. Red/green has a pretty strong association with good/bad for many cultures which is why we prefer to use it. We tried to pick colors that people with some red/green color blindness can tell the difference between. Unfortunately, this may not be effective for all levels of r/g colorblindness.

The red and green on the score bars are the same hue as the minimap symbols actually, but because of the additional information we convey there, we can't make them as intense. The score numbers are very saturated though, which should help people identify which side is which.

I'd love to make a general purpose color blind mode that would allow you to adjust level/type of correction as well and I've done some investigation into good ways to do it, but we've been very focused on dominion since I started at Riot.
So your game engine makes changing the tone of the UI in an external file complicated? Just wondering....I mean...if it needed to use a String class and convert that to a Color or something along with a line in settings import....doesn't even need to be an ingame menu, if it was a text file editable setting....

BillyJeann

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amariithynar View Post
Green is the colour of health. Red is the colour of blood/damage/enemy/kill (Seeing red, anyone?). Blue is the colour of mana. Simple enough for you yet? It's been like that for EONS- Hell, even back on original Final Fantasy and similar it's like that (Or white for damage, rarely, but I will mention it so people don't go "AHA! YOU STUPID!". Note damage you deal is oft in white while damage taken (ie. by enemies) is what is listed as red, to show it was a negative modifier/enemy dealt modifier).
Darn you beat me too it, Games have been using red and green for a very long time, sorry to say but .... deal with it.

p00rleno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2011

Is there any Windows color profile available aimed at the colorblind that remap colors to others? Even a grayscale profile would probably do the trick.

Starcraft God

08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblazr View Post
Just a quick question about red/green colorblind. How do you drive?
colorblind people like me just have to remember the order the lights are in and we can read the sings fine so that's not an issue

Not Rob

08-10-2011

lol yeah colour blind people, me being one of them.. Come up with their own ways of perceiving and reacting to different situations regarding colours, i associate a lot of colours with a different colour, compare and then come to a decision as to what kind of colour it really is xD

OmniknightJohn

08-20-2011

Jeese, lots of exaggeration here. I'm colorblind and it's not a big deal... literally my biggest issue with it has been mixing up the crayons in the first grade, and painting the grass red.

Oh noes!

Edited: I've also been told my color blindness is pretty severe by my optometrist... so... less QQ, more pewpew.