[Guide] Tryndamere, the God of Death

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ignus

09-09-2009

Ok, first off a disclaimer. this is a first draft so I apologize in advance for any formatting or layout issues.
I've seen a couple guides on Tryndamere out there, but I have not seen my own playstyle represented in any of them yet.

Tryndamere, the God of Death.

Tryn is a very powerful character with a great toolbox of tricks to use in many situations.

He is also flexible and can fit either a more tank-oriented role or a more dps-oriented role mid game, the two eventually converging and making tryn into an invincible killing machine, the god of dealing death and avoiding it.

The basics:

Quote:
Q: Bloodlust
Passive: Whenever Tryndamere kills a unit, he gains 4% increased critical chance and 8% attack speed for 15 seconds (stackable 2/4/6/8/10 times.)
Active: Tyrndamere consumes his Bloodlusts, restoring (Edit: now the first charge heals 130 HP) 65 (+AP @ 4:1 Ratio) health for each.

W: Mocking Shout
Decreases surrounding champions' Physical Damage by 20/40/60/80/100, and enemies with their backs turned also have their Movement Speed slowed by 30/40/50/60/70%. Lasts 5 seconds.

E: Spinning Slash
Costs 30/60/90/120/150 Health
Tryndamere spins through his enemies, dealing (Edit: now 110/150/210/270/330) (+AP @ 1:1 Ratio) Magic Damage to enemies in his path.

R: Undying Rage
Tyrndamere becomes completely immune to death for 7 seconds, being unable to be reduced below 1 health. Also applies Bloodlust 3/6/9 times.

At level 18
2265 HP
72 Armor
112 Attack
0 Ability Power
So, here's a brief overview of how to use his abilities effectively and how they interact with each other in combat.

Bloodlust:
This is your bread and butter powerup move, the source of his strength and his weakness. Bloodlust is tryn's version of the "makes building this guy as a melee viable" ability, and it has a couple unique properties. The weakness comes from needing to kill an enemy every 15 seconds to keep it going, and needing to kill up to 10 enemies at max skill rank before you're really ready for battle, but the power you get is more than most melee abilities give, -and- you can use it as a heal. My number one use of this early game is paired with spinning slash to quickly deal some free damage and boost my health back up to near full, the heal is large enough to refill most of my health bar in the first couple levels.

Mocking shout:
Mocking shout is great, -YOU- don't have to chase them down and kill them, your turret can, or your team mates can. his best team move by far.

Spinning slash:
In my humble opinion, the purpose of this ability is simple. It is the method by which you feed bloodlust all the tasty morsels it desires. I've noticed a marked difference between ranks 2 and 3, the 210 seems to give me just the right amount of leeway for finishing off lots of minions at varying levels of health. The other use for this ability is escaping or chasing. Chasing is pretty straightforward, but escaping you need to remember to spin -through- the terrain.

Undying rage:
This ability rocks socks. It's usually how I get my first kill in the game and establish dominance on my lane. It's also awesome for tanking hits for your team mates and getting away to tell about it. At higher levels of the skill it also works very well if you need to lay some beat down but don't have time to farm minions, provided you are sure you're not going to need it to stay alive before the cooldown is back up.

Tryndamere early game:

I love soloing on tryn, in fact, I almost refuse to -not- solo with this guy, he's just so powerful at it. My favored setup is 2v1 against me in a lane. The reason for this is that while my opponents will be splitting exp for each minion kill, I will be getting the full amount, causing me to level roughly 2x as fast as them. as well, they will become bold and be pushing farther and farther into my first tower, allowing me to mocking shout them while they're getting hit with turret damage and either that alone or a couple smacks with the sword will sometimes be enough to take them out, though it's always enough to scare them off.
ABUSE BLOOD LUST HEAL. I cannot stress this enough. For the first couple levels I'm usually just running in to snipe off a low health minion and get the last hit for free blood lust and gold. After I get spinning slash to level 2 (usually I do this at level 3), sniping off minions for free health becomes extremely lucrative.Tryn can get away with some really stupid overextension by spinning away behind his own lines and popping blood lust to mitigate the damage he has just taken. Note that I do not suggest you go in at low health, but don't be afraid to sacrifice your health for theirs, if you each lose an even amount, you come out on top beacuse you can heal all yours back.

Levels 6-8(ish)

Then comes level 6. This is IMO the most important and crucial moment in tryndamere's game. once you get a kill, potentially two, you gain enough of a level advantage that you can continue to press them back off the lane and/or take them out repeatedly. If laning against one player, this will usually make them send an extra player against you. Level 6 is usually when you will assert dominance over your lane and basically have free reign to farm minions to your heart's content and push the opponent as far as you want them. It is important to note that you cannot effectively push a tower because tryn won't have enough damage early game to pull it off alone, but you can potentially communicate with team mates and organize a rush on that tower to take it out.
This lane dominance will also alow you to gank other lanes (I usually solo bottom, so my ganking lane is mid) because your opponent will not be able to keep a visual on you and won't get a warning out to their team mates in time to save them from a pincer attack. This is really just a possible bonus though, good players tend to play more defensively and don't get caught out in the open long enough to get pincered, they get away safe to their towers.

Mid Game

The mid game is actually the most dangerous time for tryndamere players, they should be taking you as a serious threat at this point because you should be the highest level player on any team by about 4-5 levels, and you won't have the item support to take them out or survive them if they decide to send 3 people after you. This is also the point where I decide what kind of build I'm going for. If my team needs me to be a threatening DPS, I will usually go for bloodthirster first, and possibly continue stacking dps items like the infinity blade or even a phantom dancer, counting on my level advantage and my team mates to soak up enough damage to allow me to slaughter people.
The other route I go, and the one I tend to favor, is to rush to warmogs armor right after getting your boots. Tryn is a very, very good farming character, and you'll get the kills to max out warmog's armor almost unbelievably fast. The massive, MASSIVE health and regen boost this provides you with is enough to ensure you can throw your weight around with almost zero fear of retaliatory strikes taking you out, assuming you play smart.
Most of the time even if I get blood thirster first warmog's is my next item on the list. It more falls to personal preferance which one to get first. The point is to be able to farm -BOTH- items before your opponents level to a point where they pose a significant threat to you. If you manage to pull this off, it's usually an easy game of destroying the other team after this as you go for more dps items (infinity blade reccomended of course).

Late game

At this point you should have a fully stacked warmog's armor, a health level advantage, and the blood thirster at full power (assuming you don't get yourself killed a lot, farming the 40 kills needed is cake on tryn). Now it's time to spin around the map, assisting team mates, defending towers as needed, and killing jungle creeps any time you're traveling between lanes. The goal at this point is to get your infinity blade (or dps item of choice) to solidify your dps. Tryn does not have a high base attack damage, he needs item support to really be scary.
Assuming you can get your second dps item, the game is essentially over as long as you are playing with at least somewhat competant team mates. One special note to make is you may at this point in the game need to focus on helping your team mates, who are all potentially still 5-6 levels below you. Gaurd them, hide in the bushes, wait for higher level members of the other team to chase them, and pincer attack to give your team mate the exp and gold for either a kill or an assist. Use your huge level and power advantage wisely and you will surely see victory.

Conclusion

I think it's safe to say that my particular tryn playstyle is that of a mass farmer. Team comp is very important when taking this into account, as having two players rushing around the map farming every minion in sight does not work, there's not enough npcs for everyone to kill.
Another note is that you may lose your first tower as part of this proccess. The best way to avoid this is to co-ordinate your team to trap and kill your overzealous opponents, but sometimes that's not possible, and you don't have enough health reserves to take them out without dying. It's ok if they get enough hits in to slowly chip away at your tower and take it while you're at the shop or otherwise indisposed, the loss of one turret is countered by your ability to rush into an amount of power that lets you solo turrets practically without minion support.

Tryndamere is definitely my favorite champion, and I hope this guide gives you a new perspective on a possible way to play him. Just please don't kill me with it! It's my secret to victory XD

Ignus

09-09-2009

questions? comments? concerns? feel free to respond, and if anyone out there knows how to make indentations stick on this board please tell me >.>

Phyrose

09-09-2009

u need a item build and skill build , im too lazy to read all those paragraphs

Nerdz

Adjudicator

09-09-2009

Ignus your guide seems great but it is too crumble together, I did read it all tho, and your strategy seems to be very interesting.

Make sur you follow Larias's guide on how to make guides : http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=2803

that way ppl will be able to sort out the parts they are looking for.

otherwise great guide !

nerdZ

BananaBoy

09-10-2009

It's more a "this champ is the best and I know how to play it" than a guide (no offense). Still I really liked reading it. Makes me want to try him out (haven't yet).

Nmaster64

09-12-2009

I heard that Tryndamere was made directly from a picture Mark Marill wearing a kilt...and nothing else...

Stormiy

09-12-2009

"at this point because you should be the highest level player on any team by about 4-5 levels"

Yeah... right... Like there is no other that can beat your ass. Undying rage is kinda imba, but that alone does not make you always dominant in your lane, you talk like you are unbeatable king of world with him, i find you very funny through.

Caniption

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormiy View Post
"at this point because you should be the highest level player on any team by about 4-5 levels"

Yeah... right... Like there is no other that can beat your ass. Undying rage is kinda imba, but that alone does not make you always dominant in your lane, you talk like you are unbeatable king of world with him, i find you very funny through.

Pretty much what I thought. This read more like a "this is my epeen and this is how I get it so big" than a guide.

Serif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Network Ops Technician

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniption View Post
Pretty much what I thought. This read more like a "this is my epeen and this is how I get it so big" than a guide.

Guide to e-peen is still guide =).

Great guide, and interesting item choice. I usually don't worry about lifesteal much though, as he really doesn't need it.... Going to try your build out and see if it works out =).