@Riot - Dominion Scoring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Croakies

08-04-2011

Am I understanding correctly that only the team holding a majority of the points is doing damage to the enemy nexus?

And if so, why did you decide to go this route rather than what has been done in other similar game types (WoW BG's, CoD, etc) where even holding 1 area is earning you points, just not nearly as fast as holding 3 or 4?

I actually really like the decision, as it can allow for some amazing comebacks with only 1 HP on your nexus, but I was just curious about the decision from a design perspective.

BadgerBarrage

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakies View Post
I actually really like the decision, as it can allow for some amazing comebacks with only 1 HP on your nexus, but I was just curious about the decision from a design perspective.
That might be exactly why they did it. I don't think they ever seemed to fond of how things can snowball on Summoner's Rift. A chance for a comeback all game sounds pretty awesome.

HeyItsMeh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

1) Yup looks like it from the videos.

2) It could go either way tbh, but I think they wanted to do it this way so people could make some epic comebacks and only have to hold 3 of the points to prevent themselves from dying instead of getting them all back - also helps prevent snowballing.

IrrationalNoob

08-04-2011

It would be very little different if you snowballed to control all 5 points in either variation.

But this way, there is not a mathmatical impossibility of coming back, if you hold 3 points and never lose even one with only 1 hp on your nexus, your still in it.

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Yeah, an early grab of four would be almost unrecoverable if you always were dealing damage - two would be easier to turtle on while possibly winning after a lightning early blitz.

However, I expect early games to be: Send 1/2 to the closest points, presumably safer, and contest the third with a level 3 skirmish... or possibly bum rush the far one, then take the closer ones while leaving a defender or two... Interesting choices both ways. Clairvoyance ftw.

Croakies

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaritie View Post
However, I expect early games to be: Send 1/2 to the closest points, presumably safer, and contest the third with a level 3 skirmish... or possibly bum rush the far one, then take the closer ones while leaving a defender or two... Interesting choices both ways. Clairvoyance ftw.
I think this is the number 1 reason I'm excited about this mode. The choices. Summoner's Rift is great, but there's basically just 1 way to play. Just pick your champs, farm up, fight over baron, push, repeat. Whereas Dominion will force people to actually have varying strategies. I'm sure there will be "more viable" strategies that are go-to strats, but I think there will definitely be enough options to make the game intense right from the beginning.