Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Reason Riot Prioritized DOMINION

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0Wolfheart0

08-05-2011

I lol'd when the interviewer asked for the release date

Gilvado

08-05-2011

It wasn't about DOTA 2, any more than it was about competing with any game. The benefits of bringing out a new map with a new play style strongly outweigh the benefits of bringing out a new map with an old play style, as long as the mode is balanced and polished enough.

New play style allows players to have more variety, brings in a new audience (saying it's a 'casual' audience is bull, it's a different audience... there are high level CoD players, just like high level Battlefield players... neither is superior, it's just different tastes), and avoids the issue of one of their maps for the old style not being played by anyone (which could happen if they did Magma Chamber, as game populations tend to settle on the best map, like dust2 and karkand).

It's not just a good business decision, it's a good design decision too.

The Uprising

Recruiter

08-05-2011

bump

The Uprising

Recruiter

08-05-2011

Quote:
Gentle Casca:
Look at any of the actual "casuals" who join the game as necessary evil. Mo' money, mo' stuff.

There was a red quote that new players want new champions and skins, whild older players want more competitive features. Riot's got the money, but all the "stuff" they are making are catered solely for casual gamers.

RaptorJetpack

08-05-2011

I agree, i think that CS will have less strategy and ways to beat your opponent than SR will, and will never be as competitive. But since most the players in this game just want to kill people and not worry about the the other aspects of the game it will be more popular, and will make Riot forget about SR and focus solely on more maps and new modes that are fast and all about killing.

Personally i find more satisfaction from out farming, and denying my enemy than just rushing up and spamming all my buttons till they die or i die and respawn and rush and do it again. But even though it won't require as much skill or thought or strategy Riot will put all its focus on Dominion in tournaments and such cause it's easier to broadcast and get the more casual players and viewers excited, since action is always happening, people don't have to know about CS or jungling or ganking, and matches wont last more than 20 minutes.

I'm bad at putting my thoughts in written text, but what I'm trying to say is, I'd rather have magma chamber and strategy, then mindless action.

srsizzy

08-06-2011

I agree a lot with the above two posts -- I hope the game doesn't see a huge shift away from what SR means to a lot of players and to the genre and game in general. They've pretty much stated Magma Chamber isn't going to be scrapped, but was just set aside for this to be made instead.

I think they still plan on making a new SR-style map, let-alone more game types/modes in those types of maps and more options in them. At least this is what I hope.

Quote:
Morello:
We'll make more than one new map and whether or not that is a new mode or a classic map depends on what's going to improve the game.

Alternatively, if we'd had done a classic map, I feel players may have wanted more "new gameplay." It's a chance to really change things up.

Hrm, maybe not.

Hamingston

08-06-2011

Fast paced means there is no skill involved?

Whats wrong with casual gamers?

If anything you should be happy that all the casual gamers will play dominion so you can do your hardcore gaming with only other hardcore gamers.

Rebonack

08-06-2011

Y'know, I'm just curious here.

What the hell does the OPer consider a casual gamer?

Someone who isn't involved in the professional competitive scene? 'cuz that would be a professional gamer. A casual gamer would be a hobbyist. Like, y'know, pretty much everyone here.

Stop this babble about causal gamers vs hardcore gamers. It's blathering elitist nonsense.

srsizzy

08-07-2011

Is it? Me and my friends play 1 to 5 matches on a daily basis and our regular conversations regard the games we play, the meta-game, and balancing.

There are the people who pick up a couple decks of magic cards and play them like a couple times a month, and the people who buy thousands of cards, never entering competitions, but still completely obsessed with the game and its mechanics.

To all other video games I'm a casual gamer. I pick them up and drop them regularly, caring for none of them. For LoL, I am not just a casual gamer. Any game that has me playing for about 500 hours, I've spent almost $100 on, and I talk about almost every day isn't just some game I like playing, nor is that most of Riot's target demographic.

Dominion is for my other friends who can't get involved in LoL, can't play the hundreds of games it takes to be any good, and who just want to have a good time.

There's a pretty huge gradient between casual gamer and Hotshot GG.

Haarenfang

08-07-2011

I can see your point. It's similar to RTS vs TBS, RTS you need to know ur strategies ahead of time, u charge in fast build based on who ur fighting, and build it fast, that would be dominion. TBS allows you to slow down think about your moves multiple steps in advance, and then act upon them, this would be SR, but I think this doesn't make it any more strategic or competative. Would you consider golf more competative than basketball, just because it's faster paced and takes less time to end a game? Basing it on the fights being more brutal as less strategic and competative is pure bias. Yes it's pulling in a different player base, but I wouldn't say it's a less competative player base, nor would i go to argue it takes less strategy, it takes DIFFERENT strategy, but certainly not LESS strategy.