The Reason Riot Prioritized DOMINION

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaviBraid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Well... At least I'm DEFINATELY going to play DOTA2.
I don't give a **** about this new map.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
Because, as multiple news articles have now said, it's not only shorter, it's like twice as fast-paced as all other LoL gameplay. You get more gold, more XP, MR/Armor changes completely, the way the game is played is CLEARLY more violent and fast-paced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPD-X...&feature=feedu) than SR gameplay is.

Strategy in this is more like strategy in Bloodline Champs or a super fast-paced fighting game on a console. It's not about being super careful all the time (in fact, it dissuades that style of gameplay). It looks like something that a lot less thought would go into as opposed to the SR gameplay. You jump in, you get some legit champs, and you just go at it without having to worry the same way you do in SR.
This isn't a bad thing at all. Just b/c its fast pace doesn't remove strategic depth. BLC has more strategic depth in its pinkie than most moba's.

However this game type seems focused solely on casual play, given things like quests, and thus I think all of your OP is sound other than your dislike of faster play.

Ex Girlfriend

08-04-2011

Well, from what I have seen of the Magma Chamber pictures, it looks very very similar to SR. Three lanes, 5v5, the jungle is a little different but basically the same exact thing. It would be interesting visually to see a different looking map, I think it's great that Riot is trying to give us a different type of game play.

srsizzy

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
Except it's a valid concern. Summoner's Rift is the map everyone knows. For Magma Chamber to compete within the player base, it needs to be something wholly unique that you can't get in SR. It's why Twisted Treeline failed so spectacularly. It didn't add anything new or unique, save for losing more than a third of a normal team. TT was simply 1/3 less map than SR and suffered for it.
Eh, I don't think this is true. It is a general sentiment of the community that they wanted Magma Chamber. I think they'd play it more simply because it's new, even if it's mostly like SR. Unless it somehow led to slower gameplay, but I think they could find some way to avoid this.

Gentle Casca

08-05-2011

You should have known that in a gaming community, mere mention of the word 'casual' causes rioting and blood in the streets. Making the claim you made, no matter how sound and true it may be, was practically trolling as you could have anticipated such a reaction due to the wording you used. Not hatin' or anything; just stating the obvious.

Is LoL trying to make the game more accessible? Yeah, probably. If I were a game developer, I'd try to make my game as accessible as possible while retaining as much difficulty at the same time. You have to strike a balance. As a gamer myself, I don't know if I could find the even-footing between **** being too hard or too easy. Regardless, they need a large number of players paying the bills if they want to keep delivering on cool ****. Look at any of the actual "casuals" who join the game as necessary evil. Mo' money, mo' stuff.

Honestly, the idea sounds interesting enough. It's a new game mode; action will be quick; items will be removed and some will be added. It'll be cool to see what they do before we go off the deep end and make any flash judgments. And I know you weren't doing that, OP. We just have to wait and see what they do with it.

Gentle Casca

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviBraid View Post
Well... At least I'm DEFINATELY going to play DOTA2.
I don't give a **** about this new map.
Can I have your stuff?

ApocaliypseHydra

08-05-2011

What I got from the Riot employee's comments (and he never explicitly confirms my interpretation or that of the person that started this thread), is that the decision to work on Dominion and Crystal Scar over Magma Chamber was not about marketing primarily. It's a perk for sure, and it probably will keep people with LoL who might otherwise have switched to DotA 2. But I seriously doubt the decision started with someone saying "Oh ****, DotA 2! Better come up with something flashy to one-up Valve, and fast!" Game companies that think this way tend not to prioritize making things fun, and I think Riot has.

What I think did motivate the decision to focus on CS, the Riot employee from the interview all but straight-out said. They decided they did not want to make a tweak or improvement or innovation on Summoner's Rift a la TT (which is what Magma Chamber would have been). They wanted to innovate completely. The original vision for MC, 3 lanes and 2 jungles only bigger, would have been a refreshing change but would have gotten old. It's not that much of a departure from SR. In CS, they've created an actual alternative to SR, DotA, ***, etc rather than a clone. CS is something LoL has that no other MOBA does. For now. I would be very amused if *** or DotA ripped off this game mode. Not surprised though.

EDIT: Why did they asterisk out "H o N"??

EDIT 2: A quote from SoBeNirvana (Adjudicator) in another thread on this site confirms my take on it. "Magma Chamber was shelved because it didn't change gameplay enough. It's not canceled and they may still come back to it, but don't expect it. If this catches on, expect more new modes than new maps for old modes."

IS1a6a9de668f9b8375a873

08-05-2011

bump. totally agree.

TipaKEE

08-05-2011

RIOT IS RELEASING A NEW GAME TYPE TO TRY TO BRING IN MORE PEOPLE AND KEEP THE OLD ONES. no **** sherlock.

Besides what exactly was magma chamber going to offer that we cant get in summoners rift? A different jungle?

BadgerBarrage

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocaliypseHydra View Post
Why did they asterisk out "H o N"??
I think it was an attempt to combat the spammers in the forums.