The Reason Riot Prioritized DOMINION

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajesticRaven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

I hardly think this game-mode is to keep their player-base.

It's a free-game, with an incredible community, not to mention they update and talk to their players constantly, and always keep things fresh.

This has been in the works for over a year so i don't think DoTA 2 was really anything that was a concern for them.

Their player-base is at like over several hundred thousand or something last i heard. I doubt all these people are just going to up and quit for DoTA 2.

I don't imagine this will be about "Snap Decisions" as much as actual tactical thinking. You have to spread your forces and fight two fronts in a circle, with the ability to move inbetween through a fog zone with power-ups and such.

The tier list is going to be completely swapped around and change up the way anybody plays this game.

You know why 50% of the players might play Dominion Exclusively? You can have a great enjoyable game in under 30 minutes, and do this repeatedly. If something comes up because you have a life and something else to do, then it's not like *Wait a minute, done in a sec* and then waiting another 30 minutes. No, it has a guaranteed ending. I like that concept.

Summoner's rift is exciting and fun, but after an hour game, you'll be so blown from all the constant focusing you'll just be bored and quit (Unless you're an addict).

I like the idea of every 20-30 minutes you're guaranteed to be able to start a new and fresh game, with an all new team-setup.

HeyItsMeh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Why would it be casual? "Because it's shorter" is not an accurate response bro.
Being less strategic is also a baseless assumption you can't make before having experience with it, and even with that strategy =/= competitiveness.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsMeh View Post
Being less strategic is also a baseless assumption you can't make before having experience with it, and even with that strategy =/= competitiveness.
Because, as multiple news articles have now said, it's not only shorter, it's like twice as fast-paced as all other LoL gameplay. You get more gold, more XP, MR/Armor changes completely, the way the game is played is CLEARLY more violent and fast-paced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPD-X...&feature=feedu) than SR gameplay is.

Strategy in this is more like strategy in Bloodline Champs or a super fast-paced fighting game on a console. It's not about being super careful all the time (in fact, it dissuades that style of gameplay). It looks like something that a lot less thought would go into as opposed to the SR gameplay. You jump in, you get some legit champs, and you just go at it without having to worry the same way you do in SR.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Also, when you take out farming up XP, harassing in lane, ganking from the jungle, defending multiple lanes, contesting buffs, building up your build over 30 minutes, contesting dragon, team-rushing towers, etc -- that's a lot of strategy taken from the game to make it a 20-minute playable match where a bunch of fun crazy sh!t is happening.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticRaven View Post
You know why 50% of the players might play Dominion Exclusively? You can have a great enjoyable game in under 30 minutes, and do this repeatedly. If something comes up because you have a life and something else to do, then it's not like *Wait a minute, done in a sec* and then waiting another 30 minutes. No, it has a guaranteed ending. I like that concept.

Summoner's rift is exciting and fun, but after an hour game, you'll be so blown from all the constant focusing you'll just be bored and quit (Unless you're an addict).

I like the idea of every 20-30 minutes you're guaranteed to be able to start a new and fresh game, with an all new team-setup.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with THIS completely. That's my point entirely. It gives access of this game to people who aren't like me, who aren't going to play like four 40-minute matches in one day, who aren't going to take the time and energy to be really dedicated to the game. That's the entire point of what I'm saying.

It is a great idea, it looks like a great game mode, and I think they are adding something totally new to their game because it will give them a huge foothold over DotA 2, which will probably be an AMAZING game, given that Valve's games are ALL considered revolutionary and at the top of the ladder in games ever made.

HeyItsMeh

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
Because, as multiple news articles have now said, it's not only shorter, it's like twice as fast-paced as all other LoL gameplay. You get more gold, more XP, MR/Armor changes completely, the way the game is played is CLEARLY more violent and fast-paced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPD-X...&feature=feedu) than SR gameplay is.
That has no correlation at all to being competitive or casual imo. If anything, being faster paced = more competitive, as H oN supporters would claim is a reason why H oN is better.
(I'm not a H oN supporter, just sayin' general consensus is faster = as competitive if not more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
Strategy in this is more like strategy in Bloodline Champs or a super fast-paced fighting game on a console. It's not about being super careful all the time (in fact, it dissuades that style of gameplay). It looks like something that a lot less thought would go into as opposed to the SR gameplay. You jump in, you get some legit champs, and you just go at it without having to worry the same way you do in SR.
Bloodline Champs, relatively, is a perma-teamfight all day. It's been said several times that Dominion will focus less on killing, more on smaller fights and catching the awkward one out with distractions.
And if it's faster, wouldn't that mean you have to think more and faster? Fast =/= dumbed down.

IntFam

08-04-2011

I'm getting tired of people who keep saying that DotA 2 is going to cause massive losses to LoL. DotA and LoL run on completely different mechanics. Sure, the genre is the same, and the controls are the same, but the way items work, how towers and npcs behave, the proper usage of spells, and how creeps function are completely different. You couldn't pay me to switch back to DotA and games with similar mechanics. LoL is definitely more my style.

DotA is not the same as LoL. If anything, the *** community should be concerned, seeing as *** runs on almost identical mechanics as the original DotA.

EDIT: I find it hilarious that the abbreviation for Heroes of N(lawl) is now censored. I blame the ragethreads.

Vreith

08-04-2011

did you ever think it was maybe a way to get all the bads who don't know what a ward is, map awareness counter jungleing etc out of ranked and into something they can understand, mashing keys in the general direction of the enemy, and even if you not the best players there's heal points speed points and you can capture points instead of actually killing stuff

those people may hate normal/ranked and blame there team all the time for being bad (when in truth it's them) can now go play dominion and not worry about jungler ganks or being seen by a ward while they think there sneaking around and get caught. or going stealing there blue was a fantastic idea just cause it spawned even tho there whole team is up...

remember morde es#1

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
And if it's faster, wouldn't that mean you have to think more and faster? Fast =/= dumbed down.
It can mean that, but if you look at the difference between Super Smash Bros 64 and Brawl, you can see it can often mean dumbed down.

I don't mean it is a stupider game to play, or that people who are amazing at video games won't obviously do better, but it seems like it takes off a LOT of the "burden of knowledge" that is involved in SR.

I'm not saying, again, that this is a bad thing, I'm just saying it is appealing to casual gamers, which is beneficial to Riot in the long run.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntFam View Post
DotA is not the same as LoL. If anything, the *** community should be concerned, seeing as *** runs on almost identical mechanics as the original DotA.
Valve is objectively one of the best game developers in the world. Almost everyone who is new to LoL will know that LoL is based on DotA. If DotA 2 is as amazing as all of Valve's other games, people will play it.

Steam is a huge deal, bro. It is a huger deal than LoL. Valve owns it. All of Valve's games do well on it. There really is no argument about whether or not DotA 2 will have a lot of players, many of whom also or no longer play LoL.