The Reason Riot Prioritized DOMINION

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

http://blip.tv/gotgame/league-of-leg...adwell-5441067 -- This guy who works for Riot says pretty much exactly what I am saying in this thread (as to why they did Dominion over Magma Chamber). Wow.

HEY, mindless down-voters, I am NOT bashing Dominion. Nor am I bashing Riot, nor am I bashing LoL, nor am I saying I will ever play DotA 2 or defending that game. I am just pointing out why Riot would make Dominion before Magma Chamber. Jesus Christ. tl;dr -- DOMINION is being released to bring in more "casual" gamers to make up for the loss of players that will leave LoL when DotA 2 is released.

I thought about this game type, and immediately it felt like some Xbox or Nintendo game, super fast-paced, not at all like LoL/DotA, not quite as strategic so much as impulsive and really quickly played. Really reminds me of console games, Bloodline Champions, etc.

These are games made for casual gamers. There is definitely knowledge and strategy involved, but when the gameplay is really violent, fast, and can't be drawn out, defensive, or quite as carefully played, a lot of the meta-gaming and super-strategic playing goes out the window, and it's more about reflexes and snap-decisions.

This is not what SR is about, nor, lo and behold, what DotA 2 is about. One Rioter said that he thinks 50% of LoL players will play DOMINION exclusively. I wouldn't be surprised, given how many "casual" gamers LoL has been pulling in lately.

This is a marketing tactic -- instead of making Magma Chamber, a map that would continue with (and amplify) the competitive-scene type of gaming, the really serious meta-gaming, and largely strategic thinking, they decided to make a map and game type completely different from that to pull in more players that wouldn't ever consider playing SR-LoL OR DotA 2.

They say it's really fun, and I don't doubt that, and they say they put Magma Chamber on the shelf because this idea was better, and I'm sure they believe that, but they didn't make DOMINION to satisfy all of their players who love SR and the play style involved in it.

I think it's a smart move, but all the hype building up to this announcement obviously disappointed a lot of people. The rhetoric of a lot of the Reds suggests that Magma Chamber still exists, and that features they still haven't even announced are still in the works. I'm glad to hear this, I wanted an update on SR-type gameplay, not an entirely new set of game mechanics.

I look forward to playing this game type, but I think it's not as serious as Summoner's Rift is, and I don't think the competitive and high-elo scene will ever veer towards DOMINION more.

I think once a map that is or is like Magma Chamber is released, it will be more important to the really serious fans of LoL, and I see DOMINION as a business tactic to prevent Riot from losing money when DotA 2 is released.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

[edit]

"I think that people that haven't played League of Legends will really enjoy it -- it's more accessible and just really exciting." - Tom Cadwell (Riot Designer)

Just about the only point I'm trying to make for people who wonder why Magma Chamber isn't being worked on.

Integrity

08-04-2011

Thank god get all the baddies out of my ranked games

CloudCarry

08-04-2011

upvote for truth

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
Thank god get all the baddies out of my ranked games
Yeah, that is a likely upside, however it'll be interesting to see what happens when DOMINION has ranked play as well.

8thtime

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
tl;dr -- DOMINION is being released to bring in more "casual" gamers to make up for the loss of players that will leave LoL when DotA 2 is released.
No its not.

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thtime View Post
No its not.
Good response. Well thought-out and intelligently composed. My opinion has almost been swayed entirely.

ironcrown

08-04-2011

Quote:
Good response. Well thought-out and intelligently composed. My opinion has almost been swayed entirely.
BWAWAWAWAWAWA!!

Ahem.

Well, I'm just happy they released another map. Summoner's rift got boring after a while, and TT was full of idiots who didn't understand team composition. (Everyone wants to be a freakin' dps...no tanks, no mages...)

8thtime

08-04-2011

Quote:
Yeah overused snarky sarcasm

come up with something original

srsizzy

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcrown View Post
Well, I'm just happy they released another map. Summoner's rift got boring after a while, and TT was full of idiots who didn't understand team composition. (Everyone wants to be a freakin' dps...no tanks, no mages...)
Yeah, well, have I said anything negative about Dominion? Nope, just pointed out the very likely reason that they prioritized it over Magma Chamber when they did.

While it's possible (albeit unlikely) that they might not have had this thought-process exactly, this is the effect it will very, very likely have.

12345 ... 6