Will Dominion dominate our dreamlike dally game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aidip

08-04-2011

I feel like the faster paced style of Dominion will appeal to the general demographic of gamers more then Twisted Treeline or Summoners Rift. I'm unable to find documented proof (I'll keep looking) at the most played online games right now. But i'm going to guess (and use Reddit, and Steam as a point of reference) that WoW es #1, with SC2, TF2, CS, CS:S. MW2/Blackops coming close behind (doc 1 http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ rest opinion)

Most of these games are fast paced, spectated, and competitive games. (TF2 exception on compettive and spectated, but i'll call that FOTM based on F2P).

LoL, until Dominion, has been a slower paced, strategy game. You need to set aside 45min to play in preparation for a long game that doesn't surrender @20. The first 20minutes of a game can be pretty uneventful, mostly farming, with the occasional gank or "Power Play" by a lane. In high ranked games, very little happens until barren spawns. From here the team that counter picked better, farmed better, and made fewer mistakes will start to dominate the game. It is an easy win as long as they make no glaring mistakes, and play carefully.

Dominion changes this. Dominion is fast paced, in your face, and constantly stimulating and changing. It will bring drastic meta shifts, will be easier to spectate, easier to bring to the competitive scene, and more reliant on player skill + strategy to win, instead of making fewer mistakes.

If Dominion because the new competitive play, it will dictate balancing changes, item changes, new champions etc. It will be focused around the competitive scene (as viewers will play what the "pro's" play.).

As a competitive "try hard" I love this change. I think it'll be awesome, even if it does eventually overshadow SR/TT. My only worry, is that Riot SHOULD have created new champions/items (maybe carry some over) for Dominion, and run it on the same engine, instead of now trying to split everything into two. With so many champions, so many differences between them, and so many items... balancing will be IMPOSSIBLE for both modes.

Will this tear the game apart? Will it bring LoL one step further into the competitive scene!? Will Dominion just totally fail?! STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT EPISODE OF....

Claricorp

08-04-2011

People who want a fun big tactical game can do SR, if you just want a big instant action game, then I think dominion is the right one to go.

Enrayged

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claricorp View Post
People who want a fun big tactical game can do SR, if you just want a big instant action game, then I think dominion is the right one to go.
This.

Basically, it looks like a Deathmatch, with "just" enough strategy to not get boring.... Just like the Dominination mode in CoD xD

in other news, I'm fairly certain champions like Blitzcrank and Skarner will own Dominion... It looks like you have to channel for a short time to cap a tower (holy ****... did I just use the term "cap" in reference to LoL?) and so if you get pulled while capping... Well, that would ruin your day.

I'm looking forward to the change of pace, personally... Took ya quite a while, Riot... But you certainly have delivered.

Aidip

08-04-2011

I agree with your statements, I just feel a large portion of the community will do one, or the other, which will cause the one not picked to become left to the way side- balancing for the "other" will totally suck =\

Garridy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
This.

Basically, it looks like a Deathmatch, with "just" enough strategy to not get boring.... Just like the Dominination mode in CoD xD

in other news, I'm fairly certain champions like Blitzcrank and Skarner will own Dominion... It looks like you have to channel for a short time to cap a tower (holy ****... did I just use the term "cap" in reference to LoL?) and so if you get pulled while capping... Well, that would ruin your day.

I'm looking forward to the change of pace, personally... Took ya quite a while, Riot... But you certainly have delivered.
I think that any damage at all stops the capture of control points.

Aidip

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garridy View Post
I think that any damage at all stops the capture of control points.
No, you can only stop it by killing the capper.