Check out Part 1 of my early analysis on Dominons meta game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

extr3mest

08-04-2011

Hey guys recently I started a new lol blog (winoftheday.blogspot.com) and I'm looking for feedback so I thought I'd copy my first major post here to get some attention. Please let me know what you think I can improve on, but please no flaming over any champs I put in or left out it as it is still verrryyy early and this is just a rough idea of a common archetype we might see.

Thanks for any and all constructive feedback!

The Meta Game: An Early Analysis of Dominion Startegies Part 1

Hello all so as many of you heard, Riot recently announced their newest map/gametype Dominon (check out the announcement here if you haven't). Now not very much is known about the gametype but Square Apple over on the leauge of legends forums compiled a nice list including all known details about the map.

- 5 capture points
- Map is a massive circle
- Center of map has power ups, called Greater Relics (like speed boosts) that are obtained by channeling for a period of time.
- 5 further out powers that regen health fast
- Can't move/attack while capturing a node, more teammates that help the faster it captures
- Each player starts at lvl 3
- Each players starts with 1375g
- You level up MUCH quicker as well as get money faster
- No jungle (but there are bushes)
- Magic/Armor resistances changed slightly in this mode
- Some items (examples are Banshee's and Madreds) are disabled in this mode all-together
- There are new items as well, "One of the new weapons is called Ionic Spark. It adds health and attack speed, as well as a proc that does a chain lightning attack to a few nearby enemies"
- Capturing points takes health away from the enemy nexus, until you win
- Games last around 20 minutes on average, compared to the 40 or so now
- Summoner spells Teleport and Fortify are unavailable in Dominion
- Instead you get Promote (Upgrade minion) and Garrison (buff/nerf team/enemy tower, choose 1 respectively)
- "Quests" pop up during the match, complete them to do bonus damage to enemy nexus
- Personal scores emphasized over team scores, as well as there's a new scoreboard
- No ranked Dominion play
- Enemy capture points shoot at you like towers unless you're capturing them
- It takes about 4-10 seconds to capture a point (depending on how many allies help)
- "Renown system" that rewards players for helping the team rather than stacking kills
- The Nexus begins with 500 health
- Capturing points also enables minions to spawn to help capture points at other locations
- No wards in Dominion
- New Ping system and new Announcer

This should make for some very exciting and fast paced gameplay. Now onto the reason for this post today, a very early analysis on what type of startegy archetypes will be most effective in this new gametype.

*Note this is a verryyy early analysis and due to the lack of information and playing experience take this all with a grain of salt*

Dominion will be unlike anything ever experienced in league of legends. Due to the lack of true "lanes" this should make for less stagnet gameplay, roaming will be normal, backdooring will be central, and teams will have to master attacking and defending simaltaneously. I honestly expect there to be no set way to play as every game will be different. That being said I do see a few things that will most likely become common.

#1 Support tank- defender combo
Combining the survivability of a tank with the sustainability of the support should make for a great defending combo. If they cannot secure the kill they should at least be able to hold off long enough for allies to come. Expect Jarvan, and Rammus to be popular picks for tanks (Rammus might be the most popular due to his great mobility), and Soraka and Taric to be popular supports.

#2 Roaming tanky dps/assasin
As Dominion will be a much more fluid game then on Summoners Rift roaming will be a central part of the game. This person/persons job would be to roam around pushing/backdoring when able, killing enemies when possible, and defending if needed. This champ would need to be highly sustainable and preferably highly mobile. They would also most likely be your person to complete the quests (don't know enough to know if its a team effort or soloable), they also would need to control the powerups. Expect popular picks to be Lee Sin, Irelia, Garen (yes garen, his passive makes him very sustainable and good early damage makes him a threat to most), Warwick, and Udyr.

#3 A strong aoe ap carry
While the games are supposed to be shorter, with the increased gold and xp gain and the potential for stalemates 1 ap and 1 ad carry will be common to teams to help win them the game if it goes late. My reasoning for a strong aoe ap carry is that they will be able to help push off minon waves quickly to help them defend, and to deal as much damage as possible in teamfights. Expect popular picks to be Anivia, Malzahar, Kennen (great mobility due to his speed boost, good sustainability since he doesnt have to build mana, and great aoe ult), Karthus, and Brand.

#4 A strong early game ad carry
Much like having an ap carry, you need a strong ad carry in case the game goes late. My reasoning for a strong early game ad carry is because getting good position early is gonna be key, and you don't want to have a person be dead weight early game. Expect Tristana, Caitlyn, and Vayne to be popular picks.

I must stress once again that this is all just ideas and speculation. In part 2 I will go over my thoughts on every single champ and how I think they will preform in Dominion, so please check back soon!

NecroticBinder

08-04-2011

Please accept the summoners code, THEN I will read it. Until then its far to much of an eyesore.

extr3mest

08-04-2011

Sorry about that I don't post on the forums much. Hope you enjoy!

The Real Snow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Please accept the summoners code, THEN I will read it. Until then its far to much of an eyesore.
Thank you, I never knew why people's posts were grayed out before.

Magma Armor0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

wait, no wards? source please?

The Real Snow

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
wait, no wards? source please?
Sounds right, there's no fog of war on the outside ring, only on the inside. (As I've heard from other people). So wards seem less important.

Magma Armor0

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Snow View Post
Sounds right, there's no fog of war on the outside ring, only on the inside. (As I've heard from other people). So wards seem less important.
still need wards in jungle; otherwise you can't see when people are coming for your towers...

The Real Snow

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
still need wards in jungle; otherwise you can't see when people are coming for your towers...
No towers, and there is no "jungle" either.

Cardmaster

08-04-2011

Post qualifications please.

Magma Armor0

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Snow View Post
No towers, and there is no "jungle" either.
capture points shoot at stuff unless they're being captured. I call that a tower.

there is a jungle; it's the center of the map. it just doesn't have monsters in it.