Will Dominion Mode be Legitimately Competitive?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThisMayBeASmurf

08-04-2011

Today, 10:51 AM
Over the last year, LoL has grown to be increasingly respected as a competitive multiplayer game. I'm sure I'll be downvoted by some people just for saying that, but especially since Dreamhack (what, over 1.5million unique viewers or something? if I remember correctly) it's just hard to say that LoL isn't a serious competitive E-Sport.

The competitive part is a lot of the appeal for me. I'm not a *great* player, but the knowledge that I can climb up the ladder as I improve, and see concrete evidence of my skill relative to the general playerbase is a lot of why I keep playing (if you want to start the "ranked ladder is luck based" argument go elsewhere). It is all of why I play seriously when I do, which is a big part of the appeal of LoL to me and I'm sure many others. On Summoners' Rift, that is, not TT. Which brings me to my point:

Will Dominion have the competitive depth of Summoners' Rift? It seems like it will be more adrenaline-filled and more fun in the short term, at least that's what the Rioters are saying. However, it seems like it won't have as much depth. I guess I'm trying to say it seems a little bit "dumbed down" without actually saying dumbed down. I ask this because I saw a Red post (Hohums I think) saying that he expected Dominion to overtake Summoner's Rift as the most popular map, and to be something like 3x as popular. If that's the case, does it mean that most tourneys will be SR or Crystal Scar or both? Will this undermine LoL's status as a serious competitive game?

I'm assuming Dominion will have a ranked ladder, right?
Also, about the new score tracking system, will skill tracking (your hidden "elo") be based off of strict win/loss like in the current game mode, or off of the team contribution points you accrue?

Answers to any of these would be appreciated

(reposted from GD, still hoping for a Rioter to answer for general education)

ThisMayBeASmurf

08-04-2011

Ok, I missed a point in one of the articles: there will not be ranked play when Dominion is released, but that's probably during the Off-Season anyway, and it's at least a possibility later.

tibot

08-04-2011

yeah, its just a 'control' map. that said lol doent have the balance for it

ThisMayBeASmurf

08-06-2011

bump. As predicted, GD still gets 99.99% of non-bug report forum traffic lol

King Ron Jeremy

08-06-2011

Oh yeah man its gon' be realllllll fan!

Kiddalee

08-06-2011

Dominion will be more popular because office workers should be able to play a game over their lunch without the danger of games going over an hour. Anybody with time issues will be able to play more often.

If Dominion isn't going to inspire serious competition, this isn't a bad thing. Maybe it will deflate the Summoner's Rift ladder to have a greater proportion of serious players. But I cannot see whether Dominion can be competitive until I have played it.

At any rate, whether it is or not, I hope it is not for the wrong reasons. Some people just don't like anything different. Finally, what's the logic behind the idea that a noob-friendly game can't have the depth for great players? Games that are a moment to learn and a lifetime to master have lasted thousands of years.