To Riot: Give yourself a solid deadline on finishing Dominion mode

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

genericpoop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieBear View Post
We learned our lesson from those other things we announced too early. We DO have a deadline, but we're not saying what it is because it's a lose-lose for us if we hit it or miss it.
how is it a lose if you hit get the deadline date right? Is it later than people want to hear so people would qq about before it even being released?

Lemons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Give a deadline, if you guys get close but are unable to meet it, delay to another deadline. The players don't want to be kept in the dark, and they would appreciate this more.

QsR

08-04-2011

when is pax?

maddriver

08-04-2011

Like I suspected. The release date is depending on the...other game's release date. Makes sense though.

sibby

08-04-2011

Quote:
We learned our lesson from those other things we announced too early. We DO have a deadline, but we're not saying what it is because it's a lose-lose for us if we hit it or miss it.
It's win-lose based on if you hit or miss it unless the target date does not fall under the reasonable definition of "soon".

Examples.

Dominion to be released on 9/12/11.

Hit the date. Win.
Miss the date Lose.

or

Dominion to be released on 12/25/11.

Lose.

So unless the date is not actually within a couple weeks of PAX you have a win-lose. If it's beyond that you already lost because it has been stated that it will be soon after Pax.

This is a chance to gain back some credibility when Riot gives target dates rather than saying "We have no credibility so we don't want to keep fueling that fire." You are accepting no credibility rather than trying to change the perception to a more favourable one.

Ogaflow

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkbaitBruhaha View Post
I think you mean it would be a Lose if you missed it, a win if you hit it. How could it be a lose-lose if you made your deadline?
Chances are they believe that can finish dominion before all the conventions they want to show it off at, if that were to happen then the hype they want to put out at events like PAX would be reduced, hence a loss for putting it out.

Darkane

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scien View Post
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Go here and tell me agian about deadlines.
Valve has still made deadlines. I'm not talking about hitting every deadline.

Tell me the last one you've heard Riot say? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Alexi

08-04-2011

If they hit the deadline and it turns out bad (because they rushed the design or implementation of it) or it is extremely buggy then everyone will complain how bad it is. You will see like tons of forum topics about how Riot should have tested it better or Riot should have polished it more before they release it.

And if they miss the deadline then everyone will complain why Riot is lying to them about releases (for example: Magma Chamber).

Yousosmart

08-04-2011

Quote:
Sounds reasonable. I'm just hoping said deadline isn't next year.

Darkane

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby View Post
So unless the date is not actually within a couple weeks of PAX you have a win-lose. If it's beyond that you already lost because it has been stated that it will be soon after Pax.
Spectator mode was supposed to be soon after Dreamhack. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby View Post
This is a chance to gain back some credibility when Riot gives target dates rather than saying "We have no credibility so we don't want to keep fueling that fire." You are accepting no credibility rather than trying to change the perception to a more favourable one.
That's exactly how I feel. They pretty much refuse to even TRY to get their credibility back.