Pando Media Booster

12345612 ... 23
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pixelfenix

05-03-2010

The LOL launcher is already P2P, weird...

GOODdaySIR

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusConception View Post
The LOL launcher is already P2P, weird...
Right, which leads me to think this is LEGITIMATE SPYWARE, is riot selling consumer info without our consent?

MasterfulWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2010

if you don't know what P2P is it means peer to peer connection.

it is there so you can download patches faster

GOODdaySIR

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimerBinger View Post
if you don't know what P2P is it means peer to peer connection.

it is there so you can download patches faster
p2p doesn't necessarily mean its for sharing patches, it simply means peer 2 peer.

There are hundreds and thousands of p2p applications, all of which have different uses but obviously share the same core idea of shared information.

Meaning someone is connected to my computer and I didn't give riot permission to do so.

This program is NOT new, although it is new to LoL. The NEW installer installs it without consent, and as already stated we already have a file sharing program for patching, why do we need a second?

MasterfulWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODdaySIR View Post
p2p doesn't necessarily mean its for sharing patches, it simply means peer 2 peer.

There are hundreds and thousands of p2p applications, all of which have different uses but obviously share the same core idea of shared information.

Meaning someone is connected to my computer and I didn't give riot permission to do so.

This program is NOT new, although it is new to LoL. The NEW installer installs it without consent, and as already stated we already have a file sharing program for patching, why do we need a second?
uhh...what do you mean LoL already has a file sharing program for patching?

Pando IS the file sharing program for LoL's patching process

GOODdaySIR

05-03-2010

Quote:
uhh...what do you mean LoL already has a file sharing program for patching?

Pando IS the file sharing program for LoL's patching process
No it's not. The launcher is, they are NOT one in the same.

"58673:TCP"= 58673:TCP:Pando Media Booster
"58673:UDP"= 58673:UDP:Pando Media Booster
"56837:TCP"= 56837:TCP:Pando Media Booster
"56837:UDP"= 56837:UDP:Pando Media Booster

Hey Pando, thanks for keeping my backdoor open!

GOODdaySIR

05-03-2010

MALWARE!!! PLAIN & SIMPLE... IF YOU HAVE IT, GET RID OF IT.

Adds products to the system registry, communicates with other computer systems using HTTP protocols Creates a TCP port which listens and is available for communication initiated by other computers.

This process creates other processes on the disk, executes a process that sends MIME's and Emails. Registers a Dynamic Link Library File. Eats up tons of CPU resources thus causing system crashes and browser freezes.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/proces...s/PMB.exe.html

MasterfulWizard

05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODdaySIR View Post
MALWARE!!! PLAIN & SIMPLE... IF YOU HAVE IT, GET RID OF IT.

Adds products to the system registry, communicates with other computer systems using HTTP protocols Creates a TCP port which listens and is available for communication initiated by other computers.

This process creates other processes on the disk, executes a process that sends MIME's and Emails. Registers a Dynamic Link Library File. Eats up tons of CPU resources thus causing system crashes and browser freeze.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/proces...s/PMB.exe.html
I completely agree with you that this piece of software is ****ty.

But it's use is to make patches download faster.

Destrus

05-03-2010

the downloader for LoL probably uses it now. i wish they wouldn't. i really ****ing hate that thing. the first time i ran into it was for another game and i was on campus at the time so had limited bandwidth. it used up all 10 gigs upload in one night which stuck me with 56k speeds for a week. i was pissed and unfortunately there was nothing i could do about it.

companies have started using that (and i know of at least one company that uses a different one that's similar but not so hidden) to distribute their games instead of only hosting it on their server and mirrors like how things used to be done. it's just for the download so after you finish downloading the game uninstall it, it won't cause a problem.

the only place where they tend to tell you about it is the first screen when you open up the downloader for the game. it looks like an EULA or ToS so nobody reads it. it says it uses pando media booster and that it's going to install it to download the game. after that there's no other notification and the program itself is shady because it doesn't even have an icon in the area by the clock like most programs would. the only way to see it is to check your processes or to go to control panel. you can access its setting from control panel to limit how much bandwidth it uses and if ti starts up with windows. personally i just uninstall it.

GOODdaySIR

05-03-2010

Quote:
I completely agree with you that this piece of software is ****ty.

But it's use is to make patches download faster.

If you can't accept that then you are probably one of those idiots that fall to government propaganda.
Makes zero sense. It ONLY UPLOADS INFORMATION, and thus doesnt effect you download speeds, escpailly considering I already have leguge of legends installed.

SO I REALLY DOUBT ITS GOING TO HELP ME DOWNLOAD SOMETHING I ALREADY HAVE, ANY FASTER.

Also word for word from my link, "Some people claim it will 'increase your downlaod speed'. This is false. Nothing will increase your bandwidth other than upgrading your internet."

12345612 ... 23