[GUIDE] Teemo - The Undefeatable

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Woozl

09-08-2009

It seems to me that Teemo is the best champion in the game. Not because he's OP, but because people instinctively think that small means weak. He is also a beast both early game where he scares like no other, and late game where he can kill ANYTHING.

The other nice thing about Teemo is that he is an incredibly flexible champion, every build works on him, making him good for professional players to experiment with, and for new players to learn.

Skills:
Blinding Dart (Q): Simple. Teemo shoots a dart that does moderate damage and blinds. Incredibly useful versus any melee champion, or and ranged dpser. I usually use it to last shot enemy champions when they are low on health, or to initiate. Can easily 2 v 1 if you blind the tough one and aim for the squishy one. Take early game to get some early kills.

Move Quick (W): Incredibly handy. When activated, Teemo greatly increases his movement speed. The effects wear of when he gets hit. Although it is incredibly handy for getting around, I usually max it last. His other abilities are just better (to me).

Toxic Shot (E) (Passive): Very useful for farming, creeping, and getting kills posthumously. This skill causes each of your attacks to poison the target, dealing damage to him in small increments of time. I ALWAYS get this ability first, and I max it first as well. The poison is not so good early game, but can get you a ridiculous number of kills.

Noxious Trap (R) (Ultimate): MUSHROOM! Teemo places a mushroom down onto an area, and an enemy steps on the mushroom, it explodes. The explosion greatly poisons the target, and does massive damage when set up into a trap. The selling point of this ability is that you can have an infinite* amount of mushrooms on the field at a time. Especially with CD reduction, you can have a TON of shrooms. A great strategy with mushrooms is to plant them down a lane as you push, so that when the enemy counter pushes, all their creeps die. Not in a consecutive line, as mushroom damage does not stack, but spaced far apart. I estimate one line of creeps for my unit of spacing. (Infinite is not exactly accurate, as mushrooms disappear 10 minutes after you plant them, but they are almost guaranteed to get hit by then.)

(Passive Ability) Camouflage: After standing still for three seconds, Teemo will stealth. On breaking stealth, he will gain 40% attack speed. If you can quickly get into lane and stealth, you can pull off first blood with this ability.

Skill Build:
This may not be perfect, as each situation calls for different skillsets, but this is usually what I do and it works for me.
L1: Toxic Shot (1)
L2: Blinding Dart (1)
L3: Toxic Shot (2)
L4: Blinding Dart (2)
L5: Toxic Shot (3)
L6: Noxious Trap (1)
L7: Toxic Shot (4)
L8: Blinding Dart (3)
L9: Toxic Shot (5)
L10: Blinding Dart (4)
L11: Noxious Trap (2)
L12: Blinding Dart (5)
L13: Move Quick (1)
L14: Move Quick (2)
L15: Move Quick (3)
L16: Noxious Trap (3)
L17: Move Quick (4)
L18: Move Quick (5)

Items:
As I said before, Teemo is incredibly flexible, and can work with almost any item set. This is the one I designed for general DPS to all champions. I'm going to outline them in order, and elaborate on the reasons why later.
Zerker Greaves
Madred's Bloodrazor
Malady
Wit's End
Phage (Can upgrade to Frozen Mallet later, although it only improves his tanking)
Infinity Edge

Since Teemo has naturally high Attack Speed Growth, we don't need to worry too much about giving him attack speed with his items. The items we do give him with +attack speed always have other good buffs that make them worth getting. The explanations for the chosen items is as follows.
The Greaves are great because they improve your attack speed and move speed early game, which is useful since Teemo is a run-in-run-out champion. In a nutshell, AS and movespeed. (From here on in I will abbreviate Attack Speed AS)
Madred's Bloodrazor is a must have item on any attack speed based DPS character. Not only does it give ridiculous damage AND attack speed, but it also does additional damage to the target based on their health. With this puppy, there's nothing you can't take out. Amazing damage, attack speed, and one of the best passives in the game.
Malady is a beautiful item, proof that the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. AS greater than a Recurve bow, AND has lifesteal and one of the best for the price passives. Every hit you deal will deal will cause the target to take an additional 6 damage stacking up to 6 times. Meaning numbers are just going to be flying off of your target's head. In a nutshell it improves AS, Damage, and gives Lifesteal.
Wit's End is was one that after a little thought, I decided needed to be here. Gives Magic Resist and AS, but has another great passive for the cost. Removes up to (usually always is) 42 mana from the target per hit and the target takes additional damage equal to how much mana you stole. In a nutshell, good AS, slight magic res, and 42 extra damage per hit, and can easily cripple casters.
Phage I put on here because it's just a good item for ranged DPS. It is a fairly inexpensive item, and it improves you in a lot of ways. For one, it increases your damage, allowing you to do more damage/second. It also increases your HP, making you much less squishy against mages. (I say mages because Blind Dart makes you practically immune to everything else.) The real reason you buy it is because it has a 25% chance to reduce the targets armor, and slow their move speed by 40%, meaning finishing off and chasing champions becomes a lot easier. In a nutshell, HP, damage, and chasing abilities. EDIT: Another alternative is to upgrade this to a Trinity Force as opposed to getting Bloodthirster and IE.
Bloodthirster is, as I said above, optional. This build is mainly comprised of the items you already have (Malady, Wit's End and Phage), so the other two spaces are for damage. I single out the Bloodthirster from the other damage items because it has lifesteal, and I admit to being a sucker for lifesteal. It also has great damage and increases in power for each kill you get, and farming is something Teemo rocks at. In a nutshell, great damage and lifesteal that improves with kills.
Like I said in the Bloodthirster description, the last two items to get are mainly debatable, but again I single out one. Infinity Edge is a massively useful item, giving you a whopping +80 attack damage. It also gives you some ludicrous critical hit chance, and the unique passive makes you win at life. When you get a crit, it does 250% damage instead of 200%, so when you're critting once every three hits and you attack twice a second, that adds up to a little over a cubic ton of damage. The only problem I have with Infinity Edge is that you will never buy it, because it is (correct me if I'm wrong) the most expensive item in the game. Also, by the time you get it you won't be able to use it because you'll have won. In a nutshell, TONS of damage, great crit chance and passively causes you to win 250% more. EXPENSIVE!!!

Spells/Pregame:
As for spells, I always bring Ignite and Ghost, to finish off a single target at low hp so I can focus another, and to chase/escape, respectively. For Alternatives, I recommend Tele, or Exhaust. Teleport is good because you can teleport to the mushrooms you hide in their base, Exhaust is good because then you can take on multiple melee champs or DPSers, As for runes, almost everything works, but for me I go with HP Quintessences, MR Pen Reds, HP yellows, and mana regen blues. HP is always amazing, Magic Resistance Penetration is useful considering all of your damage is based on poison and your items, which both do (mainly) magic damage. Mana regen keeps you in lane longer, and allows you to plant more shrooms, do more blinds, score more kills, etc.

Strategy:
Same as basically every champion early game, play defensive and conserve yourself. You can both solo and dual a lane, although early on it is considerably easier to dual. As people find smallness as a weakness, they will think of you as easier to kill, so if you are dual laning, the enemies will target you. This means that you must be EXTRA CAUTIOUS! If they are not ranged, or not longer ranged than you, feel free to farm some creeps with little fear, however, if they have a longer range than you be wary. Also, be very careful and on the lookout for early game ganks, as they can allow the enemy to progress far further in level than you, making it harder. Whether they are long ranged or no, once Toxic Shot is level 2 or higher, HARASS LIKE CRAZY. Why? Because that's why you're maxing Toxic Shot first!!! It pretty much DOUBLES your damage per shot early on, so let the enemies know it!
When you hit level 6, you should be close to halfway done (or further) with your Bloodrazor. Use your shrooms to farm even more, and you should get gold like crazy. Also use them in the common entry points of stealth shrubs to put enemy champions on edge. Whenever you see a narrow space, place a mushroom there. Also, in some places on the map there are decorative mushrooms. ALWAYS place a mushroom on these places for the lolz. Once you get to level 8-10, farming and sticking to your lane becomes much less vital, and we come to our next point in the guide.

Killing Champions:

The theme of Teemo is to make the players on the other team dead and angry. Teemo is a short ranged DPS champion that can take on every champion 1v1. Anything relying on auto-attack for damage will be decimated by Teemo's blinding dart and poison. If a champion tries to run, you have move quick (and probably mushrooms to slow them). Any champion relying on spells will be incredibly squishy, and therefore cake for Teemo. His mushrooms allow for a special event to happen known as NERD RAGE, for they will control the map and kill any weakened champion. Any Teemo with a completed Bloodrazor can decimate anything. So what if that Cho'Gath has 5k hp and Feast takes you down to 200? For once, he is the one who is going to get eaten. By endgame, the only thing you will fear is disablers. Why? Because you can't lifesteal yourself back to full if you're not auto attacking. Teemo is the God of ranged DPS, for in time he gets good enough to crush worlds.

To actually KILL a champion as Teemo is relatively simple, but requires finesse and practice to master. Before you begin the battle, make sure that it is an even fight. No enemy towers close enough to save him, no teammates hiding waiting for gank, nothing that you can't take. 1 v 2ing is possible, but I recommend killing one than going back, than killing another if you are alone. If not, go wild, but keep yourself with enough HP to be able to escape. To initiate, use your Blinding Dart on the DPSer in the group (if there is a group), and plant a mushroom immediately behind you. This mushroom enables you to be able to retreat, or to be able to bait their friends and kill them all. Proceed to either pump them full of darts, or bait them out to a place where you can pump them full of darts. A place where you can pump them full of darts and shrooms are blocking the escape is even better. Auto attack until they drop dead, or until you need to retreat. It's that simple. Depending on who you are fighting or who shows up, you might need to retreat at different health levels. If it's a melee champion, than you can cut it pretty close. If it's a disabler, better safe than sorry. Since by mid-late game you will be doing massive damage per second, you only need to fight for around 3-4 seconds before one of them dies or they are forced to retreat.

This is by far the most important rule of Teemo that anyone will ever tell you. PAY ATTENTION TO THE MINIMAP! This applies for all champions, but as Teemo you MUST do this because your speed and shrooms allow you to be able to dominate the map. No need for Clairvoyance or wards when you have an ultimate like Teemo's!

I hope this guide has given new players a chance to excel at a champion, and professional players another build to try out. I hope I was informative enough and that anyone, regardless of skill or experience, will be able to read this guide and go 30-nil.

UPDATE 9/21/10: Made tons of changes to account for the tons of patches.

Bailon

09-08-2009

I've been running a Malady / Wit's End Teemo for a while now. Maybe not the *best* build; as you said, Teemo can be built most any way, but it is one of my favorite builds. Just so much fun. But then again, Teemo is far and away my favorite champ, so maybe I am just biased.

SKHRNYKHSK

09-09-2009

Teemo is such a beast when you know how to play him effectively, I've caused so many ragequits that I've lost count.

A good Teemo can easily solo a lane vs 2 champions, most of the time the person/people in my lane end up switching due to sheer frustration. Hit and run is what it's all about, whenever an enemy champion is just out of range, run forward a few steps, shoot them and run back immediately - Teemo's superior speed means he can get a dart off before they have a chance to react. Also, always keep creeps between you and the enemy if you're laned against a champion with a skillshot, since Teemo has low HP and will get destroyed rather quickly if caught by something like a Morgana or Blitzcrank skillshot.

If you do your job right the enemy will eventually try to gank you. If one of the champs in your lane goes MIA - FALL BACK. As soon as you get your ulti I'd place a trap near the river entrance since most people will enter the jungle and attempt to attack you from the side while a team mate attacks you from the front. Another good place for traps is near the sides of each lane, since creeps have collision most people will run along side them and trigger your traps.

Teemo's map control around mid game and onwards is amazing, not only can he move uber fast with 'Move Quick' but his traps reveal small parts of the map and you can teleport to them to ambush the enemy.

Teemo is also awesome at luring enemy champions to their death, when someone sees little Teemo pop out of the jungle they automatically want a piece of him, only to find that he's lured you onto one of his mushrooms of doom and is now proceeding to whoop your ass with blow darts. People usually try to run after they trigger a trap and you shoot them with 'Blinding Dart', but given the snare from the trap and Teemo's movement speed; the chance of them surviving is slim unless they have a crapload of HP.

Profeta

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKHRNYKHSK View Post
Teemo is such a beast when you know how to play him effectively, I've caused so many ragequits that I've lost count.

A good Teemo can easily solo a lane vs 2 champions, most of the time the person/people in my lane end up switching due to sheer frustration. Hit and run is what it's all about, whenever an enemy champion is just out of range, run forward a few steps, shoot them and run back immediately - Teemo's superior speed means he can get a dart off before they have a chance to react. Also, always keep creeps between you and the enemy if you're laned against a champion with a skillshot, since Teemo has low HP and will get destroyed rather quickly if caught by something like a Morgana or Blitzcrank skillshot.

If you do your job right the enemy will eventually try to gank you. If one of the champs in your lane goes MIA - FALL BACK. As soon as you get your ulti I'd place a trap near the river entrance since most people will enter the jungle and attempt to attack you from the side while a team mate attacks you from the front. Another good place for traps is near the sides of each lane, since creeps have collision most people will run along side them and trigger your traps.

Teemo's map control around mid game and onwards is amazing, not only can he move uber fast with 'Move Quick' but his traps reveal small parts of the map and you can teleport to them to ambush the enemy.

Teemo is also awesome at luring enemy champions to their death, when someone sees little Teemo pop out of the jungle they automatically want a piece of him, only to find that he's lured you onto one of his mushrooms of doom and is now proceeding to whoop your ass with blow darts. People usually try to run after they trigger a trap and you shoot them with 'Blinding Dart', but given the snare from the trap and Teemo's movement speed; the chance of them surviving is slim unless they have a crapload of HP.
You rage quited the last one, silly kiddo.

SKHRNYKHSK

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profeta View Post
You rage quited the last one, silly kiddo.
I've only ever left one game and that's because my internet got capped midgame and it became unplayable.

Shabazza

09-09-2009

If you do a "hit and run" tactic I don't really get why prioritize AS items instead of pure damage. Care to elaborate?

Cheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2009

Hi. I am posting here to bump.. AND IT IS MY 300TH POST DDDDDD

SKHRNYKHSK

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza View Post
If you do a "hit and run" tactic I don't really get why prioritize AS items instead of pure damage. Care to elaborate?
I stack AP when playing Teemo for this reason. You can generally take around 25% of a mages health with one Blinding Dart + poison this way. AP also works wonders for trap damage.

Daikaze

09-09-2009

Malady, Nashor's Tooth, and Wit's End are my preferred items... I usually go with boots 3 as it never hurts to be "really" fast.

AP Teemo has it's advantages, but I find that it's major advantage (traps) can be countered easily, and so I prefer AS Teemo (although I do get a little AP). Mushrooms are used as teleport/scout points and for clearing waves of minions. AS Teemo is also better at taking down towers than an AP Teemo.

For Summoner spells I usually take Teleport and Flash, but I would consider switching Teleport with Exhaust.

Doctor Awesome

09-09-2009

I think the clever part about this build is, it stacks crazy attack speed, but doesn't need damage that badly, since it has roundabout extra ways of dealing it. Wit's End and Malady's extra damage both ignore armor, iirc, and that's up to 72 extra damage per hit--accounting for armor, that's actually more damage than an Infinity Edge! When you consider that you're also poisoning them and draining their mana, going attack speed outright gives you all the damage you need--and considering that you get 80% from just those two items, you're going to have plenty.

If you REALLY want to get silly, get Last Whisper. 20 damage, 40% attack speed, and you ignore 40% of the target's armor--now THERE'S a DPS boost!

12345 ... 8