Why do people go ap yi ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DivineToan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2011

hi evryone .
i'm a real yi fan i already played over 250 games .
i even bought iona yi skin. ( wich is so awesome)
now here's the thing i always go dps/ad yi .
recently i see more and more people go ap yi .
i was wondering why ?

i mean yi"s wuju gives you ad and highlander gives attack speed = perfect dps?
i use alpha strike as an opener or a chasing tool.
and medidate gives you enough hp without ap.
and you can break towers faster with ad then ap

the reason i can see why people go ap are
alpha strike hurts but it has such a long cooldown
and if youre in a teamfight and there are creeps around the enemy champs you wont be sure to hit all the champs
when its on cd you wont have any more damege skills

second reason is you cant die while meditating but medetate can be interrupted so easily
ok, you have an op healing ability when youre ap but some lifesteal is also a good way to gain hp

so i cant see the reason why people go ap yi
can someone pls explain it to me ? cuz its bothering my mind
ps i know that i whrote alot of words wrong pls forgive for those mistakes ^^

HolloPoint

08-03-2011

His alpha strike with low cooldowns, decent AP and a lichbane really does alot of damage during team fights. AP Yi is mostly used as an anti carry because he can usually 2 hit most squishy carries.

CrazedPorcupine

08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolloPoint View Post
His alpha strike with low cooldowns, decent AP and a lichbane really does alot of damage during team fights. AP Yi is mostly used as an anti carry because he can usually 2 hit most squishy carries.
This and his rank 5 Meditate makes him literally indestructable. Even going AD Yi I build a Nashors tooth. It helps out a lot.

Seutsuna

08-03-2011

Basically, for the 1-2 hit kill squishies lulz

Vicious Frog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2011

I wonder this myself. I build Zerkers first, 2 phantom dancers, and then infinity edge or w.e it is. Auto-rape for Yi late game, and that's where it really counts so long as you're not paired with feeders.

AP Yi just seems to blow away the whole purpose of Yi after you've mained him your entire LoL life xD

Fluffy1

08-03-2011

depends on the skill level of your opponent, AD while amazing at pushing towers is completely useless in teamfights in higher elo which generally makes him worthless or simply boring, AP yi on the other hand can do stupid amounts of damage in seconds, but needs alot of teamwork to pull off well, hes best in premades.

DivineToan

08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolloPoint View Post
i see , thx for answering my qeustion but i still dont get it what about the tanks XD
ap yi= anti carry=ok ---------------------------------- ad yi=anti carry = ok
ap yi =anti tank ?= T_T----------------------------- - ad yi= anti tank=ok
ap yi= low hp=nuke or be nuked ?---------------- ad yi=low hp= join battle last seconds XD

Seutsuna

08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMerci View Post
I wonder this myself. I build Zerkers first, 2 phantom dancers, and then infinity edge or w.e it is. Auto-rape for Yi late game, and that's where it really counts so long as you're not paired with feeders.

AP Yi just seems to blow away the whole purpose of Yi after you've mained him your entire LoL life xD
I used to do this until i swapped out a PD for a youmu's ghostblade (I like it cuz it gives armor penn and CDR).

I just have to watch out for ANYONE with a stun. Cuz...people know Yi will tear your face off and eat it if you let him attack D=

Alrocsmash

08-03-2011

Its a niche build. And a pub stomper one really. Your damage in team fights is reliant on you getting killing blows which is unreliable.

Snaketeeth01

08-03-2011

With ap yi you can start out with philo stone maxing out q and w, this gives you a harrass tool with enough regens to stay in lane, plus benifit from the gold per 10. with a 9/0/21 mastery u can grab %15 mpen with cooldown, greed, more regens and some movespeed. In a teamfight you want to land alpha on a weak champ with Highlander activated. If alpha doesn't get the kill your next few autoattacks will. This will reset your cooldowns to make another leap and possibly another kill. As long as u keep Highlander active u will have alpha for another jump.
If for any reason you can't reset alpha u can pull back a bit and meditate through 5 seconds of alphas cooldown, which is 9 seconds without maxed cdr.

I usually play ad jungle yi starting with dagger and get early ganks to support my build. A fed yi with early dominance can be hard to shut down. Though I have had a few good games with all yi.
For my core build I like boots of swiftness, voidstaff, and abysmal scepter.
I choose these three because with voidstaff I have %55 mpen not counting my marks.
I choose swiftness because as I mentioned if you don't reset alpha with Highlander, or if it's midgame and u just want to rass u can land your alpha then quickly get out of striking distance while you meditate 5 seconds to heal and wait out the cd if needed. It will also help you jump out and leap before they ha e time to react.
I choose abysmal because with my harrassing style I don't take so much ad dmg as I do ranged mgc, this item also helps my team while I am in backline meditating. Of course this item is situational.

Ghostblade is also a great item as it gives you much needed cdr. This combined with masteries, blue buff, and cdr per level glyphs should out you at %40. the active will help you escape while r is on cd and the built in spent will help make up for your lack of ad. Especially when you r q e combo.

In this build you may feel yi has very little health. Which although this is true, it doesn't really matter because you are meant to Ger in, get out, heal and be right back in all within 10 seconds. This playstyle takes more micro than most I find but can yield amazing results.

Towards late you can build philo into heart to give you tenacity to combat slows.

Hopefully these those send you in the right direction.