Statikk Shiv VS Phantom Dancer, AN EPIC SHOWDOWN.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SFG mAEtb0y

12-25-2012

HEY HARDRAWKR, I THINK IT WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF YOU TYPED A BUNCH OF WORDS AND NUMBERS ABOUT LEAGUE OF LEGENDS BUILD THEORY.
Well you're in luck! I've been wondering for a while now which is better for an ad carry: Statikk Shiv or Phantom Dancer. I have seen several useful sources, listed below, which should help me calculate which would be objectively better, so let's do some math.
http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a...-dancer?page=2
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...&d=13546671090

HARDRAWKR, WHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS FOR THESE MATHS?
I make several assumptions here:
1. For each build, the assumed order is Boots>Vamp>Berserker's>Zeal>IE>Zeal Upgrade>BT. Because Avarice Blade gives gp10 and therefore would be valuable to buy before IE, I assume that for the Statikk Shiv build you get Avarice Blade immediately after Zeal.
2. You, the hypothetic adc in this scenario, are farming bot non-stop for the entire game, not missing any last hits, not getting any kills, and not taking any jungle farm.
3. The moment that you finish IE+Statikk Shiv you are equally as strong as the moment that you finish IE+PD based on damage output in a teamfight, ignoring the differences in utility for the two items. IE+PD becomes stronger as soon as you finish a fully stacked BT.

LET'S START THIS YO.
So my calculations start as soon as you finish Zeal, because that is when the builds start to differ. This should start at roughly 2400 gold earned.
For the first 800 gold after that point, both builds have equal gold income, because Avarice Blade has not been built yet. Then, at 3200 gold earned, the gold per minute of the Statikk Shiv build will increase by roughly 36 (2 gp10 = 12 gpm + 2 gold per creep at 12 creeps per minute (2 creep waves) = 24). Obviously, the additional gp10 of Avarice Blade is lost once Statikk Shiv is finished.

AW SNAP WE'VE GOT SOME NUMBERS HERE.
At 3200 gold earned, the Statikk Shiv build gets Avarice Blade. This should be at about 8:45.
At 7000 gold earned, the Statikk Shiv build gets Infinity Edge. This should be at about 16:45.
At 7525 gold earned, the Statikk Shiv build gets Statikk Shiv. This should be at about 17:45.
At 9725 gold earned, the Statikk Shiv build gets Bloodthirster. This should be at about 22:15.
At about 24:45, the Statikk Shiv build finishes stacking its Bloodthirster.
At 6200 gold earned, the Phantom Dancer build gets Infinity Edge. This should be at about 15:45.
At 7825 gold earned, the Phantom Dancer build gets Phantom Dancer. This should be at about 19:00.
At 10025 gold earned, the Phantom Dancer build gets Bloodthirster. This should be at about 23:15.
At about 25:15, the Phantom Dancer build finishes stacking its Bloodthirster.

WHAT DO WE MAKE OF ALL THESE NUMBERS HARDRAWKR?
Until 15:45, both builds are equally strong.
From 15:45 to 16:45, the Phantom Dancer build is stronger because it has a finished Infinity Edge.
From 16:45 to 17:45, both builds are equal.
From 17:45 to 19:00, the Statikk Shiv build is stronger because it has a finished Statikk Shiv.
From 19:00 to 22:15, both builds are equal.
From 22:15 to 23:15, the Statikk Shiv build is stronger because it has a finished Bloodthirster.
From 23:15 to 25:15, both builds are equal because the Phantom Dancer build is better overall but does not have a fully stacked Bloodthirster yet.
Starting at 25:15, the Phantom Dancer build is stronger.

ALRIGHT NOW BACK TO THE PARAGRAPHS.
So, for 1 minute early on, the Phantom Dancer build is stronger. However, for 7.5 minutes, starting when it completes the titular item, the Statikk Shiv build is either stronger or equal to the Phantom Dancer builds, with a total of 2.25 minutes when it is actually measurably stronger. The Phantom Dancer build then becomes stronger for the rest of the game. Obviously, the numbers are never going to work out this neatly in-game, but it's a good benchmark.

NOW TAKE IT HOME BABY.
In conclusion...it's hard to say that one or the other is the "better" item. On a late-game hyper-carry (Kog'Maw, Vayne) or a champion who has something that scales on attack speed, (Caitlyn's headshot, Vayne's Silver Bolts) Phantom Dancer seems like the obvious choice. However, if you're looking for early-mid game dominance on a champion who scales well with autoattacks but doesn't specifically need the extra attack speed of a Phantom Dancer, (Tristana, Graves, Miss Fortune) a Statikk Shiv gives you incredible power to push lanes by yourself as an adc and it gives you an accelerated build to give you an edge in early teamfights. However, be sure to watch the opposing adc's build, because with the Statikk Shiv build against the Phantom Dancer build, there is the short period of time when you won't have Infinity Edge and they will, and they will probably be stronger than you.

NEXT WEEK:
Sword of the Divine on Vayne, worth it or not?

Guy on a bus

12-25-2012

Uhh, one suggestion. Take avarice blade before any other item. It scales off last hits so it makes sense to build it before anything. even boots.

SFG mAEtb0y

12-25-2012

If you take Avarice Blade too early you sacrifice the ability to trade or sustain in lane. I understand that sooner is better because gold op, but too soon and you risk being zoned off your farm until you are able to build items that are actually useful for laning.
QUICK NINJA EDIT:
On Ashe (ONLY ASHE), you might be able to afford starting with Brawler's Gloves and pots and then rushing your Avarice Blade asap. The reason I say this is because Ashe is practically designed to use an Avarice Blade. Her passive makes crit chance actually useful; She has slows so she doesn't desperately need boots; Her lane phase sucks anyway so taking a weird item like Brawler's Gloves isn't going to gimp her any more than she already is; With the extra gold from Hawkshot's passive you can really get a lot of extra income off of an early Avarice Blade. BUT ONLY ASHE.

Guy on a bus

12-25-2012

Any ranged ADC benefits from it. Simply because early crits will give you the advantage

SFG mAEtb0y

12-25-2012

Crit chance is generally unuseful early game because it's not reliable. Let me explain why almost anything else is better to start (EXCEPT MAYBE ON ASHE).
Boots + 3 pots: Way safer in lane. You have an extra pot for sustain and the movespeed means that you can safely farm without having to worry about getting into trades that you can't win simply because they move faster than you.
Cloth + 5 pots: 5 pots is a ridiculous amount of sustain to start with, and having armor against a lane which is doing at least 50% physical damage is extremely valuable. It's hard to lose trades with this build.
Dorans Blade: Damage, sustain, and health, all in one item. If you're running an adc that can harass from range without worrying about getting hit too much, this pretty much means that you're able to force the enemy out of lane just due to pure damage output.
Long Sword + 2 pots: I don't really like this build, because there's not really any good reason to start with this setup, but it's still better than Brawler's Gloves. AD is reliable. You will always hit for the same amount of (increased) damage when running an AD item. With crit, you just have to keep hitting them and hope for that lucky crit, and every time you hit them, they get a chance to hit you back with a much more reliable source of damage.
Flask + pots: Sustain lol.

Guy on a bus

12-25-2012

Well, I suppose it is up to you. However, I love hitting for 160 damage at the very beginning just for simply hitting them if they get too close. It makes them pause and think about it. Plus an ability if they stay long enough. On trist => that's 270 damage for one shot if you happen to get a crit. That's almost half HP for a lot of champs.

I'm sure other champs aren't quite as extreme as that but if you stay long enough in lane, and you generally will with a ranged ADC then you will have enough gold to go b and get ava + basic boots before the 5 min mark... instead of waiting until the 8 (almost 9) min mark. (You only need to earn 750 gold and it's very possible to earn FB because of a couple of lucky crits.) That should have a huge effect on gold gain early in the game. Maybe I"m just lucky but I tend to crit quite a bit more than the percentage that I have. (like if I have 75% crit, I actually crit 9 times out of 10 and 8% is more like 2/10)