[Guide] Garen, what you did not know.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nuronane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2010

- Did you know that Tryndamere's Mocking Shout turns off Perseverance?

Craixis

07-03-2010

Garen's passive can activate while you're hitting something...
I've been on the frontline killing minions and it'd proc, its as long as you haven't taken damage (or you haven't got hit by Warwick's passive effects, bloody blood scent).

Edit: I should read a few pages back next time -.-'

MayusOcarina

07-03-2010

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Garen

says physical on wiki but im guessing its wrong, right?

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglin View Post
Does madreds razor apply to each hit of his spinning move? I assume not, but it's worth a try.
Nothing procs from his spinning move at all.

It's an AOE "spell" not super-aoe-basic-attacks. Sure, it's physical damage, that doesn't mean it uses your actual attack.

MayusOcarina

07-03-2010

Okay so i got really high crit like 50% lately (chance) and nothing seems to be critting on judgement (E)

GhostAsh

07-03-2010

"Did you know Garen's ultimate does physical damage instead of magic? "

LIIIIIEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! It does magical damage, i have tested it on the a level 6 shaco and me being level 6.

With out anything at full hp did normal damage.
Then he got chain vest, ulti at full hp. Still normal damage.
Then he got negatron cloak ulti at full hp. The damage was reduced.

In all instances we where level 6 both.

TESTED! It does magic damage. Donīt belive me. Go test it yourself.

Common0324

07-06-2010

Fricken jerk, I tried to cancel my spin for my ult and used ur alt f4 thing, it totally closed my game, screw you man.

IronMongrel

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayusOcarina View Post
Okay so i got really high crit like 50% lately (chance) and nothing seems to be critting on judgement (E)
It doesn't display a "CRITICAL" message when it "crits," but it does do additional damage. If you look close at each individual number that pops up while whirling on someone, you'll notice some of them are higher than the rest. Those are the crits.

II Hazama II

07-24-2010

Why do you do this to me Riot? I was perfectly happy with the concept of Xin Zhao before his release and now you release a guy that CONTROLS BLOOD!? *sigh* Attempted main. Release a less awesome champ next time please. :P

Bakuvii

07-25-2010

After reading your guide the first time, I found it quite useful, quickly rising to the top of my friends in games (KDR wise). However, there are many things unlisted that should be, and a few errors.

FIRST OF ALL, GAREN IS NOT A TANK. PERIOD. HE IS A SEEKER/HUNTER/GANKER, THAT'S IT.

In order;

Perseverance; Can be disabled by Warwicks' Bloodthirst. Big problem for solo lanes, or just trying to survive in general.

Decisive Strike: More effective with an ax than a sword or club.
---Great ability for interrupting Nunu or Katarinas' Ultimates.
---Also a good escape/chase ability.
---Applies any and all on hit effects.
---Treat as a standard attack, just beefed.

Courage: Does cure cancer...and AIDS.
---Generally not a good ability, better to use when attempting to escape, as its cooldown is ridiculously long.

Judgment: By far his best ability.
---Does move through enemies. I often activate and place myself on top of a creep to devastate the wave in a mere 3 seconds.
---DOES NOT "REMOVE" SLOWS, only prevents them from affecting Garen for the duration of the spin.
---While in the air, you still inflict damage to surrounding units, such as when popped up by Alistar, or thrown by Singed.
---There is a .5 second cooldown to deactivate this ability.
---Effected by armor penetration.
---Does not apply on hit effects, SAVE for Madreds' Bloodrazor/Razor. Tested AND Proven.
---Dodge still applies while spinning.
---Critical hits can be defined by the tiny sword that appears occasionally over the head of an enemy in range of your strikes.

Damacian Justice: "Sniped. *****"
---Actually not instant, about .75 second travel time. Think of an invisible ranged attack that moves kinda slow.
---Blocked by spell shields, and reduced by armor, but still applies armor penetration.
---Does not apply any on hit effects.

Overview.
Garen is by far one of the best heroes when in experienced hands, not a character for noobs. Judgment is his primary source of damage, act accordingly. I highly recommend building him as follows.

Runes: Armor Pen Marks/Dodge Seals/LVL CDR Glyphs/MS Quints

Masteries: 21/0/9

Spells: Exhaust, Ignite

Items
Start with a Dorans Shield. You may buy a health pot, but only if you suck. His passive covers you.
Buy Boots of SWIFTNESS as soon as possible. Your judgment is only good if you can stay on them.
Zeal
Madreds' Razor
Vampiric Scepter
---Here is where you have to be a good player, and choose what is more important. if they still can escape you, upgrade your Zeal into a Phantom Dancer, If you are doing fine, Madreds Razor into a Bloodrazor. Need more raw damage, Vamp scepter into Bloodthirster.
---From there you can branch off into a few directions. Another phantom dancer or 2 (or if youre an ass, 3, which works better than you can imagine). Frozen Mallet to get some health and slow, never a bad idea. Starks, armor pen never hurt, plus it gives AS and more LS. If you have a fat ass piggy bank, get an Infinity Edge. You can get a Second Bloodthirster, but I never do. Do what works, but stick to his core items (Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster, Phantom Dancer, Frozen Mallet, Madreds' Bloodrazor, Starks Fervor, Black Cleaver).
---Do not be stupid and buy the following; Last Whisper, Youmuus' Ghostblade, Trinity Force, or Tiamat.

Ending builds should be similar to these;
---Rapechase (AVG KDR: 30/0)
Boots of Swiftness
Infinity Edge or Frozen Mallet
4x Phantom Dancer
---Asskicker (AVG KDR: 20/4)
Boots of Swiftness
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Madreds Bloodrazor
Bloodthirster
Black Cleaver/Frozen Mallet
---Quickdeath (AVG KDR: 23/5)
Boots of Swiftness
Infinity Edge
2x Phantom Dancer
Madreds Bloodrazor
Black Cleaver

These builds have different play styles. Remember to use your spells.
---If you like to suddenly appear, get a kill, and run away like a crazy ass mother ****er, go with the first build, he books it at 601 MS, without his Q ability. He also has 100% crit, so spin your ass off. with dodge runes, you also are hard as **** to hit, with over 85% dodge chance. Personally my favorite build. Kicks Shacos' ass any day of the week.
---Need to kill multiple heroes in a short period of time? Second build. He drops a lot of damage in a decent amount of time, with nice survivability due to the LS.
---Want to run in, get a kill, run out into a nearby bush, run out, get a kill, and just keep doing it? Go with the third build. Great Damage, good attack rate, amazing potential, but does die a bit. Slaughters tanks.

Keep in mind, I am very experienced, and know how to use this character far beyond many. In fact, I have never been beaten by an opposing Garen, even of higher level (I was 13 he was 18).

I suggest testing the play styles in a practice game if you are unsure of how to use them, otherwise I GUARENTEE you will feed. No bueno guys. I hate feeders.

"That's all I have to say about that."

Want to talk? Test your skills? Do a game? Friend me, I like friends.
I don't train Noobs, but I will answer questions.