My analysis of Renekton

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

heroyisunshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2011

Introduction:

Ok so Renekton has been under the radar for quite some time. Hasn't received a buff or nerf in awhile and was a nobody. It was never like that for him. Before he was a beast. A crocodile to be feared. But after a couple of nerfs, he started to lose his luster and nobody really cared about him anymore. No patch notes on him whatsoever for what felt like the longest time.That is until the rework for Tryndamere was unveiled.

In that video they briefly mentioned Renekton and how they liked his fury mechanic. And decided to make Tryndamere adopt those instead of the bloodlust. After the unveiling of the video some of the players here in LoL remembered the old croc and decided to brush the dust of this once feared beast...

Soon interests in the croc rose and many are starting to see some problems with him that should be addressed.

Renekton's moves:

Reign of Anger

(Innate): When Renekton is below 50% health he generates 50% more fury from all sources.

Cull the Meek

(Active): Renekton swings his blade dealing physical damage to nearby enemies and healing for 5% of the damage dealt up to a cap. Heal amount is quadrupled against champions. Each target hit grants 5 Fury.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury he deals 50% additional damage and heals for 10% of the damage dealt, the healing cap is tripled. Consumes 50 Fury.

* Cooldown: 8 seconds
* Radius: 450 (estimate)

Physical Damage: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+0.8 per bonus attack damage)

Healing Cap: 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150

Fury Empowered Physical Damage: 90 / 135 / 180 / 225 / 270 (+1.2 per bonus attack damage)

Fury Empowered Healing Cap: 150 / 225 / 300 / 375 / 450

Ruthless Predator

(Active): Renekton?s next attack will swing twice dealing physical damage and stunning his target for 0.75 seconds. Each hit applies on-hit effects.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury his next attack will swing three times dealing physical damage and stunning his target for 1.5 seconds. Consumes 50 Fury.

Cooldown: 13 / 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 seconds

Physical Damage Per Swing: 5 / 15 / 25 / 35 / 45 (+0.75 per attack damage)

Slice and Dice

Slice (Active): Renekton dashes forward, dealing physical damage to targets along the way. If he hits a target he gains the ability to use Dice for 4 seconds.

* Range: 550 (estimate)

Cooldown: 18 / 17 / 16 / 15 / 14 seconds

Physical Damage: 30 / 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 (+0.9 per bonus attack damage)

Dice (Active): Renekton dashes, dealing physical damage along the way.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury Dice deals 50% additional damage and reduces the armor of targets hit for 4 seconds. Consumes 50 Fury.

Fury Empowered Physical Damage: 45 / 90 / 135 / 180 / 225 (+1.35 per bonus attack damage)

Fury Empowered Armor Reduction: 15 / 17.5 / 20 / 22.5 / 25 %

Dominus

(Active): Renekton empowers himself with dark energies, gaining increased size and health for 15 seconds. While empowered, he deals magic damage to nearby enemies and generates 5 Fury per second.

* Cooldown: 120 seconds
Health Gain: 300 / 450 / 600

Magic Damage Per Second: 40 / 70 / 100 (+0.1 per ability power)

Reference: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...r_of_the_Sands

My analysis:

I feel that the way Renekton works he relies to heavily on CDR and fury. Very rarely do you have get 100 rage (without using the ult) thus limiting you to use only one empowered move, and usually the empowered move is reserved for his "Ruthless predator" for the stun dration (there is no real incentives to consider other empowerment). As being a melee champion he is also a very slow champion, a little too slow. I could consider boots of swift but again he relies HEAVILY on CDR so the ionian boot is a MUST. Renekton's DPS is limited to how much he can spam his moves since he is NOT an auto attacking champion. So it would be foolish to not focus on CDR considering that he already has long CD but is dependent on his moves.

I hope with my suggestion below it will help address all the issue. Some of the suggestions may sound OP so I do welcome other input although i feel that a few number tweaking can solve that problem.

suggestions:

Reign of Anger
The passive isn't that great. The reason I say this is because the passive is only useful to you if your health dips below 50%. Its design was to make you kinda similar to the old tryndamere, to make you more deadly the more injured you were.

However why is it Tyrndamere can get easily a FULL rage bar (albeit it is item dependent) compared to Renekton who suffers in obtaining rage. Renekton needs a new passive.

Cull the Meek
This move is ok but again not that great. The damage scaling is what makes it acceptable however the heal on its ability is a joke. There is no way he can rely on it for lane sustainability. I suggest that maybe instead when the ability is used his armor and magic resistance increase for a short time. This won't give him crazy sustainability compared to Renekton's first appearance with his heal but it will give him enough to be a bully so range champs can't just push him away from the creep.

Ruthless Predator
This is his bread and butter. A good Renekton would be making sure to activate the move only when it is empowered to make full use of the stun duration. The only real problem I find is to maybe change his attack animation so he isn't pinned down by the animation thus losing precious stun time.

Slice and Dice
Gives Renekton a nice flash, however the empower ability sucks. No one uses up the precious 50 fury to just use slice and dice. The armor debuff isn't enough to justify to use this ability. Also this move is tricky in the sense that it has a short range and the only way to make good use of it is to proc the dice so you can use it again.Since Renekton is a slow character, especially for a melee champions (has a hard time chasing people), I suggest it slows the enemy instead so that way his prey won't get away so easily (embarrassing for a crocodile to lose his prey amirite)

Dominus
Health boost is nice however the rage regen rate is a joke. I would suggest that the regen rate is increased dramatically.

Another suggestion that I have been thinking is increasing the health by a small amount, increase the aoe damage a little bit more, grant him infinite rage but lower the duration down from 15sec to 10 or 5 sec. With it he can use more empowered moves but still is limited to utilizing 2-3 abilities (due to CD) thus making the players decide which moves to use. This will also increase his ability to do burst damage but lower his sustained dps in hopes to remove the tanky dps metagame.

edit: dammit i accidently pressed submit...

post is still under construction...

BetterThanKeegan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2011

I just recently started playing renekton having bought him a week and a half ago, and i have to say i enjoy playing as him immesnsly. His move set makes him extremely fun to play. I find that early game his damage is great, even amazing at times but that towards end game i find it falls off substantially and i need to build pure DPS which i don't like to do because it reduces his survivability by to much. I think when his ultimate up he generates rage fine but i feel in normal laning that he needs to get an increased rate of generating rage. Those are my only to complaints.

Adolf Hernipples

08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroyisunshin View Post
Introduction:

Ok so Renekton has been under the radar for quite some time. Hasn't received a buff or nerf in awhile and was a nobody. It was never like that for him. Before he was a beast. A crocodile to be feared. But after a couple of nerfs, he started to lose his luster and nobody really cared about him anymore. No patch notes on him whatsoever for what felt like the longest time.That is until the rework for Tryndamere was unveiled.

In that video they briefly mentioned Renekton and how they liked his fury mechanic. And decided to make Tryndamere adopt those instead of the bloodlust. After the unveiling of the video some of the players here in LoL remembered the old croc and decided to brush the dust of this once feared beast...

Soon interests in the croc rose and many are starting to see some problems with him that should be addressed.

Renekton's moves:

Reign of Anger

(Innate): When Renekton is below 50% health he generates 50% more fury from all sources.

Cull the Meek

(Active): Renekton swings his blade dealing physical damage to nearby enemies and healing for 5% of the damage dealt up to a cap. Heal amount is quadrupled against champions. Each target hit grants 5 Fury.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury he deals 50% additional damage and heals for 10% of the damage dealt, the healing cap is tripled. Consumes 50 Fury.

* Cooldown: 8 seconds
* Radius: 450 (estimate)

Physical Damage: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+0.8 per bonus attack damage)

Healing Cap: 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150

Fury Empowered Physical Damage: 90 / 135 / 180 / 225 / 270 (+1.2 per bonus attack damage)

Fury Empowered Healing Cap: 150 / 225 / 300 / 375 / 450

Ruthless Predator

(Active): Renekton?s next attack will swing twice dealing physical damage and stunning his target for 0.75 seconds. Each hit applies on-hit effects.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury his next attack will swing three times dealing physical damage and stunning his target for 1.5 seconds. Consumes 50 Fury.

Cooldown: 13 / 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 seconds

Physical Damage Per Swing: 5 / 15 / 25 / 35 / 45 (+0.75 per attack damage)

Slice and Dice

Slice (Active): Renekton dashes forward, dealing physical damage to targets along the way. If he hits a target he gains the ability to use Dice for 4 seconds.

Cooldown: 18 / 17 / 16 / 15 / 14 seconds

Dice (Active): Renekton dashes, dealing physical damage along the way.

When Renekton has 50 or more Fury Dice deals 50% additional damage and reduces the armor of targets hit for 4 seconds. Consumes 50 Fury.

Fury Empowered Physical Damage: 45 / 90 / 135 / 180 / 225 (+1.35 per bonus attack damage)

Fury Empowered Armor Reduction: 15 / 17.5 / 20 / 22.5 / 25 %

Dominus

(Active): Renekton empowers himself with dark energies, gaining increased size and health for 15 seconds. While empowered, he deals magic damage to nearby enemies and generates 5 Fury per second.

* Cooldown: 120 seconds
Health Gain: 300 / 450 / 600

Magic Damage Per Second: 40 / 70 / 100 (+0.1 per ability power)

Reference: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...r_of_the_Sands

My analysis:

I feel that the way Renekton works he relies to heavily on CDR and fury. Very rarely do you have get 100 rage (without using the ult) thus limiting you to use only one empowered move, and usually the empowered move is reserved for his "Ruthless predator" for the stun dration (there is no real incentives to consider other empowerment). As being a melee champion he is also a very slow champion, a little too slow. I could consider boots of swift but again he relies HEAVILY on CDR so the ionian boot is a MUST. And from what I remember from what Riot said they wanted to make this game flexible and not a "one cookie cutter build" thus the introduction of tenacity (so that way you don't ALWAY have to buy merc treads but instead can consider other nifty boots, but at the same time not having to give up on CC reduction).

I hope with my suggestion below it will help address all the issue. Some of the suggestions may sound OP so I do welcome other input although i feel that a few number tweaking can solve that problem.

suggestions:

Reign of Anger
The passive isn't that great. The reason I say this is because the passive is only useful to you if your health dips below 50%. Its design was to make you kinda similar to the old tryndamere, to make you more deadly the more injured you were.

However why is it Tyrndamere can get easily a FULL rage bar (albeit it is item dependent) compared to Renekton who suffers in obtaining rage. Renekton needs a new passive.

Cull the Meek
This move is ok but again not that great. The damage scaling is what makes it acceptable however the heal on its ability is a joke. There is no way he can rely on it for lane sustainability. I suggest that maybe instead when the ability is used his armor and magic resistance increase for a short time. This won't give him crazy sustainability compared to Renekton's first appearance with his heal but it will give him enough to be a bully so range champs can't just push him away from the creep.

Ruthless Predator
This is his bread and butter. A good Renekton would be making sure to activate the move only when it is empowered to make full use of the stun duration. The only real problem I find is to maybe change his attack animation so he isn't pinned down by the animation thus losing precious stun time.

Slice and Dice
Gives Renekton a nice flash, however the empower ability sucks. No one uses up the precious 50 fury to just use slice and dice. The armor debuff isn't enough to justify to use this ability. Also this move is tricky in the sense that it has a short range and the only way to make good use of it is to proc the dice so you can use it again.Since Renekton is a slow character, especially for a melee champions (has a hard time chasing people), I suggest it slows the enemy instead so that way his prey won't get away so easily (embarrassing for a crocodile to lose his prey amirite)

Dominus
Health boost is nice however the rage regen rate is a joke. I would suggest that the regen rate is increased dramatically.

Another suggestion that I have been thinking is increasing the health by a small amount, increase the aoe damage a little bit more, grant him infinite rage but lower the duration down from 15sec to 10 or 5 sec. With it he can use more empowered moves but still is limited to utilizing 2-3 abilities (due to CD) thus making the players decide which moves to use. This will also increase his ability to do burst damage but lower his sustained dps in hopes to remove the tanky dps metagame.

edit: dammit i accidently pressed submit...

post is still under construction...
whatever you think about the ult is wrong it's perfect makes him a little more tanky and the rage regen is amazing if you play him otherwise looks like you want a buff your right on the passive needs a new one but he's good where he is at

SerratedBlaze

08-02-2011

Renekton was my first champ played (i guess it was the week after he came out) and I loved him. by the time I bought him though he seemed much weaker and had no clear direction (tanky, dps, he was only ok at one really) now i love using him as a ganker and in jungle (although he is not a good jungler).

Dominus if fine for rage regen and the cap should not be raised. it lasts a long time and does good damage. sure it could be stronger in each part, but it has so many parts that it doesnt deserve to be any stronger, especially with the low cd since he uses cdr strongly.

Cull really does need a boost to the heal or to stack with lifesteal.

ruthless animation does take a lot away from attacking. its part of why i dont use AS on him. his hits are from abilities.

Dice empowered is good for monsters like red lizard dragon and baron. or can be used vs a tank but usually black cleaver and ruthless predator are better. if it instead caused a slow i wouldn't be opposed.

passive could use a rework i suppose but its good for teamfights and adds extra skill trying to stay under 50% but still alive with dominus and cull and i use heal. I would replace it with more rage per hit at level increases to compensate for many weak hits turning into few strong ones.

the stun w/o attacking and armor reduction help him support more than solo, this might be a part of who he is. if renekton were stronger solo that would be op. he is fun as a team fighter imo.

Get some Juice

08-03-2011

All of you are talking bull****...
I play renekton since so long and hes one of my mains and his CDS are perfect and fury 2 ! most of the time im at 100 fury and my damage is insane... i mostly finish games with 15and more kills and less then 5 deaths... Riot dont buff renek hes perfekt some people aren t good enough to understand his gameplay...
Framboiise lvl 30 1500games+ Team: FruitS

Ceiria

08-03-2011

You aren't that attentive to him then, his CD's are a tad ridiculous for his play style and his passive is quite lackluster

His ultimate needs to provide more HP, and possibly a 20% cleave effect, or a MUCH better ratio for the few AP i get on him(sheen), so possibly a 1:1 ratio.

NA1

08-03-2011

He's getting buffed. Wait until the buffs are in, then give him an analysis.

Senior Penguin

08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framboiise View Post
All of you are talking bull****...
I play renekton since so long and hes one of my mains and his CDS are perfect and fury 2 ! most of the time im at 100 fury and my damage is insane... i mostly finish games with 15and more kills and less then 5 deaths... Riot dont buff renek hes perfekt some people aren t good enough to understand his gameplay...
Framboiise lvl 30 1500games+ Team: FruitS
Games on match history as Renekton? One. Result, 2/3/0 loss. Ranked stats? Non-existent. Oh and 1500 games? Well, since you have barely over 700 wins that means you are insanely negative. So you obviously aren't very good at this game.

Yeah shut up.

Roel Yento

08-03-2011

His cool downs are pretty low, can get stun and cull off a few times in a fight later on if you built for cdr. His passive is kinda lame but his ulti seems fine. Early on his ulti is week except for rage but at level 3 it seems good to me. also it is such a low cd that you can use it often. His lifesteal on cull is ballanced i feel. Primarily it is a damage ability for aoe with a little bonus heal. Also it is spamable, helps gain fury, and costs you nothing. Don't play him like other champs, play him like he has a unique playstyle. He is a hit and run burst melee champ. You shouldn't be slicing and dicing in, fully committing unless you have worn enemy down prior or it is a gank. If i'm wrong please explain why. Ren is my favorite champ and i know i am not one of the pros but I don't agree with people saying he is weak.

heroyisunshin

08-03-2011

The problem with him is that there is no reason to use the empowerment mechanic on any other ability other then his ruthless predator. I am just trying to throw out suggestions so that way players can actually have more flexibility. there is no reason to use fury on q since the damage/heal increase is neglible and his e is nice buy you have to save that for fleeing enemy.

would be cool if his ult had an empower ability

but in all honesty I really want to see a new passive. I would be satisfied by that