Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What do you think of this idea?

Yes, this is a good idea. 47 44.76%
Yes, but someone else said it. 8 7.62%
No, I don't like this idea. 29 27.62%
No, it's stupid, you're stupid. 21 20%
Voters 105 .

Bringing Lore into the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

micrometer

08-04-2011

I think something that would be cool to implement would be for example, if people that knew each other were next to each other they might exchange words of dialogue; that's also a way to incorporate lore.

thecoyl

08-04-2011

Quote:
Lima Beans:
I think its a cool idea, but I agree with others that making it effect balance would probably be a mistake.

But, I still think your idea is neat, and think about the NON-balance affecting stuff you could do.
If Lux and Katarian are Vs eachother, you could do something special in the load screen, or have an extra-lored up kill announcement when they kill eachother in game.

I think there are some cool places you could go with this.

^

Twitchious

08-04-2011

Quote:
Lima Beans:
I think its a cool idea, but I agree with others that making it effect balance would probably be a mistake.

But, I still think your idea is neat, and think about the NON-balance affecting stuff you could do.
If Lux and Katarian are Vs eachother, you could do something special in the load screen, or have an extra-lored up kill announcement when they kill eachother in game.

I think there are some cool places you could go with this.

"Jarvan IV has decimated his Noxian rival Swain!
"Swain has slain the Demacian Prince Jarvan IV!"

DJ Doctor

08-04-2011

I know that myself, and a lot of my friends that play, are actually big into the lore of this game. We've had discussions about similar ideas in the past (since most of us are Game Design students), and we've all agreed that changing actual stats for rivals would be nigh impossible to implement while keeping it balanced. However, Lima Beans' suggestion is something that we have talked about. I've always wanted something more in the lore than the Journal of Justice. It seems so much more passive in game. I once made a sibling joke about me as Garen laning with a Lux, and three of the 5 members of my team had no idea what I was talking about. I would love to see more done with the lore - Urgot screaming in victory once defeating Garen, Rumble taunting a defeated Heimerdinger, a quip about the secret love twist between Garen and Katarina (read the journal guys, its canon) - just those little things that I would love to see explored.

Claricorp

08-04-2011

I think something like the left4dead system where champions would say different stuff via voice under different conditions.

For example, say urgot is close to garen, he may say something corny/funny/interesting like "revenge processor activated" or something.

Brad Kirsten

08-04-2011

Here's a cool idea that doesn't effect game play.

Taunting within range of related champions will make your champion say a different line or if on site your character just blurted out the line.

Kallen Kouzuki

08-04-2011

Oh, if it was special taunts or announcements/loading screens etc., then I'd be all for that ! That would actually be pretty friggin awesome XD.

MCXL

08-04-2011

or you could have a specific grudge match custom game modifier that gave them extra passives. I always wanted to see Nasus and Renekton really battle it out (like they gain 15% reduction on damage from everyone else because they just want to fight each other, or maybe they auto trigger their ults when one attacks the other, full fury/mana... etc.)

Footie 117

Recruiter

08-04-2011

doing this would b so kewl

Galgus

08-04-2011

I don't really think lore should change balance.

That said, I like to think of Veigar as more the "Ebiiil!" type: trying to be evil in ways that end up just being mischievous.

(Remember the baloons sucked into black holes? Who would have the power and desire to do that?)

Basically, I like to think that Veigar isn't really evil, but that he is emotionally wounded from his past and is using it as a facade.

Teemo, on the other hand, could be the opposite- appearing to be an ideal Yordle citizen, while really being twisted on the inside.

Maybe I'm completely off, but it makes for more interesting lore for me than Teemo = Good / Veigar = Bad.