What do you think of this idea?

Yes, this is a good idea. 47 44.76%
Yes, but someone else said it. 8 7.62%
No, I don't like this idea. 29 27.62%
No, it's stupid, you're stupid. 21 20.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Bringing Lore into the game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ditryglove

08-02-2011

As we all know, there is extensive Lore behind the League of Legends, and each champion has a history. However, it is not introduced to the gameplay, and I'd say that a majority of players couldn't care less about it. So why can't we bring it as a more active role in the gameplay?

Here's my suggestion: We know that certain characters have feuds. It's a basic fact. Urgot and Katrina hate Garen, Veigar hates the normal Yordels, things like that. So how about things like that are brought into the game. I.E.: Urgot has more power against Garen. Tristina does extra true damage per attack again Veigar. Lux does more against Katrina.

I think things like that could bring a whole new element of decision making into team games, where you'd want rivals to face off against one another. And note, that someone like Vladimir, who hates everyone, doesn't have extra power, that's just base line.

Please tell me what you think of this idea, or if someone else has suggested it.
Also, check out my champion if you have time: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1048837

CrimsonClaymore

08-02-2011

I've been hanging out in the in GD section and I can assure you, you would see a million threads about people complaning about this and how unbalanced it would be, claiming that "X champion is OP against Y champ and needs a nerf" but will have said X champion be utterly useless unless fighting Y champion.

In theory it's a good idea but it could so easily have complications that could go way out of hand.

ipleadthefif208

08-02-2011

On paper cool in practice rage, it would make some champs op, other well up just not good

Ditryglove

08-02-2011

All effects would be vice-versa, and all champions wouldn't receive a "nerf", they would stay the same. P = P, the champion is the same. But if P <-> Q, then both receive X more damage. You see where I'm going? I just think that people whould be a bit more interested if they wanted to know who to use against who. I don't think it would be too good in "noob" games, but in high ranking it could be put to devastating effect. And even on the small scale, finding out who is in each lane and placing yourself accordingly.

Also, check out my champion if you have time: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1048837

Dracorya

08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipleadthefif208 View Post
On paper cool in practice rage, it would make some champs op, other well up just not good
^

Sorry but I just can't see it working realistically.

Ditryglove

08-03-2011

Bumpity.

Yousosmart

08-03-2011

While it would make more sense, it would cause imbalances. If it were done in a sort of custom mode, however, that would be more acceptable.

Kallen Kouzuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

The problem is that most rivalries in LoL are completely balanced. For these purposes, I'll use Swain vs. Jarvan as an example.

In Lore:

Quote:
“Tact? Finesse? In war there is only the victor and the dead, Noxian!” Jarvan was loosely aware of ravens ripping chunks from his body, carrying his life-force to Swain. He felt death creeping at the edge of his vision. He poured all his remaining energy into the vise grip, determined to not to die until he watched the life flee from Swain’s bulging eyes. The two were locked together, blood pooling on the floor, both unwilling to die before the other.
- Jarvan's Judgement

What they're trying to get across is that Swain and Jarvan are equals, and in a 1v1 fight, one would not be stronger than the other. Indeed, it makes sense because if one were to be any stronger than the other, then the stronger one would probably kill the weaker one, which would upset more than a few people.

In Game:

So, if we were to apply this to the game, what would happen? Well..... nothing. If you give Swain more AP against Jarvan (because he is a caster) and Jarvan more MR against Swain (because he's tanky and up against a mage), they would either exactly balance out, or it wouldn't reflect the lore and one would have an advantage. Also, other stat boosts that don't immediately reflect their or their rival's playstyles would just not make sense at all, or be so useless that the time it would take to make these changes would not be worth it.

This -> Garen vs. Kat etc., and that's my point.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

08-04-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I think its a cool idea, but I agree with others that making it effect balance would probably be a mistake.

But, I still think your idea is neat, and think about the NON-balance affecting stuff you could do.
If Lux and Katarian are Vs eachother, you could do something special in the load screen, or have an extra-lored up kill announcement when they kill eachother in game.

I think there are some cool places you could go with this.

Cully

08-04-2011

I always thought it would be cool if characters taunted, or made some sort of comment on first seeing a character that they had interacted with in the lore.

I'd imagine it would be a lot of work recording all the possible combinations, but still would be interesting for lore-fans.